Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that the second beta of iPadOS 18 extends alternative app marketplaces and other app-related changes to the iPad in the EU.

Apple-EU-iOS-Changes.jpg

Apple first introduced these changes on the iPhone in the EU with iOS 17.4 earlier this year, to comply with the EU's Digital Markets Act. The expansion of the changes to the iPad in the EU comes nearly two months after the European Commission said iPadOS is also a gatekeeper platform under these new regulations.

The other changes include alternative payment options in the App Store, a default web browser selection screen in Safari, the ability for web browsers to use web engines other than Apple's WebKit on the iPhone and iPad, and more. Apple's existing terms extend to the iPad, including the Core Technology Fee for alternative app marketplaces.

iPadOS 18 is currently in beta for developers, with a public beta to follow in July. The update should be widely released in September.

Article Link: iPadOS 18 Beta 2 Includes Alternative App Stores and Other EU Changes

Last edited:

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
On the one hand - if I wanted a tablet that could be used with other App stores or sideloaded apps, I'd get an Android tablet, and that's all the "consumer choice" I need (and I've already gone Android for my phone).

On the other hand - these same laws apply to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Meta etc. - none of whom are without sin when it comes to anti-competetive practices - who have doubtless been gaxing upon Apple's closed shop with envious eyes, and would otherwise take away that choice as soon as they thought they could get away with it.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Is there a way to disable it?
Disable what? Alternative app stores work only if you actively seek out and download/install an alternative marketplace app from Apple's App Store or directly from the website of the alternative app marketplace developer.

Alternative app marketplaces are unique kinds of iOS apps that you can use to install other apps on your iPhone.

Users in the European Union can install an alternative app marketplace on iPhone by downloading it directly from the website of the alternative app marketplace developer.

By not installing an app for an alternative marketplace, you will not enable the feature. In other words, the feature is by default disabled unless you enable it by installing an app for an alternative marketplace.

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
I disagree with but can understand the arguments for alternate app stores. But the redirecting payments for apps downloaded from the Apple App store seems akin to walking into Walmart and grabbing a bag of peanut M&Ms and then walking out without paying Walmart cause you went online and earlier and purchased the M&Ms from Mars Candy. 🤷‍♂️😁

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
I disagree with but can understand the arguments for alternate app stores. But the redirecting payments for apps downloaded from the Apple App store seems akin to walking into Walmart and grabbing a bag of peanut M&Ms and then walking out without paying Walmart cause you went online and earlier and purchased the M&Ms from Mars Candy. 🤷‍♂️😁
That is a bad analogy.

The closest analogy would be going to Walmart to buy a magazine. And then the magazine publisher redirects any future purchases away from Walmart by giving you a discount if you subscribe by mail using one of those subscriber cards you always find in magazines.

card.png

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Disable what? Alternative app stores work only if you actively seek out and download/install an alternative marketplace app from Apple's App Store or directly from the website of the alternative app marketplace developer.

Alternative app marketplaces are unique kinds of iOS apps that you can use to install other apps on your iPhone.

Users in the European Union can install an alternative app marketplace on iPhone by downloading it directly from the website of the alternative app marketplace developer.

By not installing an app for an alternative marketplace, you will not enable the feature. In other words, the feature is by default disabled unless you enable it by installing an app for an alternative marketplace.
You know that, I know that. The people on here know that. But Joe Blow doesn’t.

When he uses an alt app marketplace and gets an app that’s harmful to his iPad… who will he blame?

Apple, of course.

I’m in favor of multiple screens saying something to the consumer like “This app has not been approved by Apple. The user assumes any and all risk associated with this app. Apple does not recommend or support this app.”

The EU made its decision. Now we have to deal with dumb consumers blaming Apple.

CookItOff

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2023
That is a bad analogy.

The closest analogy would be going to Walmart to buy a magazine. And then the magazine publisher redirects any future purchases away from Walmart by giving you a discount if you subscribe by mail using one of those subscriber cards you always find in magazines.

View attachment 2391638
I can see that then. But still... :)

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
You know that, I know that. The people on here know that. But Joe Blow doesn’t.

When he uses an alt app marketplace and gets an app that’s harmful to his iPad… who will he blame?

Apple, of course.

I’m in favor of multiple screens saying something to the consumer like “This app has not been approved by Apple. The user assumes any and all risk associated with this app. Apple does not recommend or support this app.”

The EU made its decision. Now we have to deal with dumb consumers blaming Apple.
Some people will blame Apple. Others will blame the app developer. And others will blame themselves.

This is no different to how it's been on the Mac for decades now, and Apple has been dealing with dumb consumers blaming them for just as long.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
before you move on to "and then", the "without paying Walmart" from @CookItOff applies here for that single issue magazine purchase.
Seems your issue is Apple not getting a finders fee. Well, is it any different to Apple not getting a finders (or any) fee whenever someone downloads the Netflix*, Spotify*, Amazon.com, Starbucks, Uber, Bank of America, and similar apps?

*You cannot subscribe to Netflix or Spotify through their respective app as they're just reader apps. You can only subscriber through their website.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
RE: expanding EU sideloading to iPad: This is great, now we just need the same for visionOS and Apple TV. And for the other countries to regulate

Hopefully in the future, alt stores will fill in the blanks for functionality the iPad will never have under Apple and we can actually get a device that’s not baby’s first OS

Reactions: yabeweb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.