Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Now I've had a chance to dig a bit more the issue looks to be linked to the Passwords app. The phone became unstable again after I opened this app, specifically the new area for compromised passwords. It triggers some activity related to this tile in the app and this is when the phone starts overheating and crashing again.

It looks like I'll be rolling back because this is a critical issue.
This is enough reason not to run beta 1. These critical bugs make it a risk to use as a daily driver and nobody should be thinking about this until a public beta comes out which is when Apple themselves think it’s okish to try.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Good to know that password manager isn’t stable. I will do not open it until next beta gets released.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
I'm all for testing betas and have been jailbreaking since iPhone one. Just make sure you have a good backup to roll back to if needed.

Reactions: C7 POWER

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
I am teetering with putting iOS 18 on my main iPhone and Sequoia on my main Mac just to play with the phone mirroring.

I have been down this road many times before installing DP betas on my main devices.

I am aware of the warnings. The betas used to be destructive from day one, but over the past two years I have noticed a minimal amount of issues with the betas.

Is anyone regretting upgrading their device this early?

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
I am teetering with putting iOS 18 on my main iPhone and Sequoia on my main Mac just to play with the phone mirroring.

I have been down this road many times before installing DP betas on my main devices.

I am aware of the warnings. The betas used to be destructive from day one, but over the past two years I have noticed a minimal amount of issues with the betas.

Is anyone regretting upgrading their device this early?
Not at all ! 15 Pro here and the battery life is quite good - but I still expect better battery when iOS 18 gets released !

The only downside I noticed is that the phone gets warm/hot quite often sadly

Reactions: NJRonbo

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015
My iPad Pro got stuck in a boot loop a couple days ago and it couldn’t be stopped until the battery ran out. Heading to the genius tomorrow. First time I had a real issue with a beta.

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015
I have a feeling they're going to tell you that you need to downgrade back to iOS 17.
That’s fine. I’d prefer it to dealing with a fatal bug for another couple of weeks. It was working so well the first few days it gave me a false sense of security to take it on a trip. Lasted long enough to cover the business I needed to get done, so not a big deal. I knew the risks.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
I did not wanted to install the Dev Beta on the 15 PM, but my watch did not worked because it’s on watchOS 11 😩
So long talk short story, ended up installing beta 2 on the iPhone to use my watch again 😂

DGGoingUphill

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2015
Update on my boot loop issue: Went to the genius today, and they were very kind (no scolding about installing the beta) and it took about ten minutes for them to install me back to 17. Since all my stuff was in iCloud and I didn’t want to have any chance of re-introducing problems, I went with a fresh install. If you have experience with a fresh install and you live in iCloud, it really only takes 10-15 minutes to get the settings setup as one might like, and I’ve found backups to sometimes take longer to restore, so I didn’t mind starting from semi-scratch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.