Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synicalx1

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2020
I think I'm the odd one out here, I'm having a less than stellar time.

In the last few hours my 15 Pro has started overheating almost immediately after reboot, and will shut down after 5 minutes or so. It must be *something* I have running on the phone because it only happens if I unlock it, if I leave it locked from a cold boot it's fine until I unlock it.

Oh well it's a beta, stuff breaks 🤷‍♂️

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I think I'm the odd one out here, I'm having a less than stellar time.

In the last few hours my 15 Pro has started overheating almost immediately after reboot, and will shut down after 5 minutes or so. It must be *something* I have running on the phone because it only happens if I unlock it, if I leave it locked from a cold boot it's fine until I unlock it.

Oh well it's a beta, stuff breaks 🤷‍♂️
I had something similar where my phone kept turning off. I ended up restoring it back to 17 and then updating to 18 again.

Other than that it's been decent.

Reactions: synicalx1

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
Works fine (mostly) in my 15PM. Arranging Control centre can be painful sometimes. Even AirPods Pro 2 beta FW works fine. Nicking to answer call works better than saying "answer". Longer battery time I get with it. Iphone battery is similar to 17.

Aoligei

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2020
On older iPhone is different story. iPhone 11 Pro struggles, with visible drop frames.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Everything is working quite well, and as of now I will stay at this version until the official or at least the RC release later this year!

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
Of course, different people with different devices will have various issues. However - IOS 18 on my 15+ is suspiciously smooth and trouble free! Baddery life seems pretty decent also!

Saying that, the verdict is still out. I fully expect it to all go horribly wrong pretty soon with b2🙃

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Of course, different people with different devices will have various issues. However - IOS 18 on my 15+ is suspiciously smooth and trouble free! Baddery life seems pretty decent also!

Saying that, the verdict is still out. I fully expect it to all go horribly wrong pretty soon with b2🙃
Then just stay at B1 like me 😇

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
How could it expire? I mean does it function like that?

Asked the support and they told me that it can’t expire I can stay on Beta 1 as long as I want to :)

Last edited:

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Hate to break this to you, but beta 1s are usually pretty stable. It's betas 2-3 where the bugs and issues start coming in like a wrecking ball. Hope you did a back up! Glad you're enjoying it tho.

• Love
Reactions: C7 POWER and Ron21

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Hate to break this to you, but beta 1s are usually pretty stable. It's betas 2-3 where the bugs and issues start coming in like a wrecking ball. Hope you did a back up! Glad you're enjoying it tho.
I did a backup for sure! But I will stay at beta1 until the official release :)

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
IMHO the reason for it running so smoothly is that nothing of any consequence in IOS 18 has been implemented yet. Other than potential AI integration later on down the road (2025?) everything else are minor changes/tweaks which wouldn’t stress the beta. Changing your home screen icons etc is just cosmetic.

Reactions: one more

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
I did a backup for sure! But I will stay at beta1 until the official release :)
What’s the point of being in beta program if you’re going to stay at beta 1? Nothing of real value has been rolled out yet. You may as well stay on IOS 17.5 until IOS 18 has its public release in Sept.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Because iOS 17.5.1 was horrible for my iPhone 13 Pro! Horrible battery drain and horrible battery health issues.
iOS 18 is way more better + I get the new things I am interested in.
But I have to ask this? Why it bothers you at all, that I stay at beta 1?

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
A word of warning for the early adopters. I've been running iOS18 for a week or so without many issues however that all changed last night. I put my phone on to charge as I always do and then woke up to find it appeared to be turned off and extremely hot. My alarm failed to go off.

I then spent most of the morning wrestling with a device that obviously had a process running that was causing it to overheat but was unable to identify the process or shut it down. My phone was constantly crashing and rebooting. I tried everything to the point where I was going to attempt to roll back to iOS17 when stability returned. I'm still not entirely sure what was the cause but my suspicions lie with my apple watch because I noticed the battery had been depleting at the same speed as my phone. I'm not 100% sure about this yet and will trouble shoot again when I'm sure that my phone is back to normal.

A few legacy issues now remain. these could be simply beta issues or apple tweaking the back end but for the time being I cannot sync passwords, health or maps with iCloud.

Betas are stable right up until the point that they aren't.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Now I've had a chance to dig a bit more the issue looks to be linked to the Passwords app. The phone became unstable again after I opened this app, specifically the new area for compromised passwords. It triggers some activity related to this tile in the app and this is when the phone starts overheating and crashing again.

It looks like I'll be rolling back because this is a critical issue.

• Wow
Reactions: TwoBytes

Dog Bone Malone

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
Muffsville, Jannerbama. Uk.
I've been playing and using IOS 18 all day on my 15+.

Curiously, it's been running flawlessly. (ummm rubs chin). Baddery life is also holding up excellently. No issues (so far)I've come across no daily use issues , so far!
Have I done something wrong? Or, is IOS 18 that good already?

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
How could it expire? I mean does it function like that?

Asked the support and they told me that it can’t expire I can stay on Beta 1 as long as I want to :)
On this page it mentions betas expiring. I don't know how it is on iOS 18 but in the past it would eventually start spamming you with popups.

d4rk

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2011
For me it's been rock solid since this afternoon. My phone was sitting on a charger in standby mode doing nothing when it started rebooting itself. This process continued until I uninstalled a podcasts app using 28GB of space. I read in another thread that there's a data caching problem that is using up data overtime in the background until it fills the phone completely.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.