Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
So, looks like beta 2 is mostly buggier than beta 1 as a whole?
I'm not a complex user of my phone - e.g. no Apple Watch, no Carplay - but beta 2 of both iOS and MacOS are running great for me.

I have a shortcut on my lockscreen instead of the camera app; I have a button in my control centre to toggle bluetooth actually off/on; I can swipe in the CC to see a widget type thing which controls all my Hue light scenes; I like the new Photos app as I've customised it to show recents at the top and albums underneath; my automations all appear to work more reliably than they did under iOS 17, and probably some other little things I've already forgotten about.

Not hitting any bugs. Under the first beta of iOS, my IMAP email account didn't work and under the first beta of MacOS, my Time Machine backups didn't work (was in the release notes). Both those issues are no more.

So for me, no, beta 2 is surprisingly better than beta 1 and also very stable.

CrisiomiroX

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2024
UK
Agreed. I used to be one of those people who thought "Why the hell keep messages > 30 days?"

Then my dad went into the hospital in the last week of 2018 with some slight weakness on his left side....and died of brain, stomach and lung cancer mid-January 2019.

I've still got his texts, and I can't tell you how comforting they are to read them - even the ones giving me crap or goofing around. :)

This. Wish I’d had the foresight to keep messages from my best friend before he died. There’s a use case for this feature.

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
Usually when updating to a new beta, just like starting off with the first beta it’s pretty buggy but then settles after a few days. I’ve pretty much experienced that with beta 2.

Lot of wonky bugs and phone getting super hot and battery drain like crazy for first two days.

Today it’s been great. Nothing out of the ordinary and battery drain seems normal.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
For beta 2 I am seeing a number more Analytics entries including a few springboard crashes along with something called “DiagnosticRequest_com.Apple…”. No idea what that really is.

The SB crashes are happening during the night when on the charger.

Artesia

Suspended
Mar 30, 2024
Mail app has some serious issues on this beta, beta 1 was great but on beta 2 Im getting low signal all the time and mail is not updating.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Have my messages set to delete at 30 days so I couldn’t say.

Never really understood the need to keep messages forever myself, but I suppose for others there may be an actual use case.

Would be nice if Apple allowed you to “mark” message threads individually for extended retention though as opposed to an all or nothing setting. 🤷🏾‍♂️
It’s called being sentimental- keeping iMessages forever 😂

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Interesting, looks like AW8 on WatchOS10.5 is working now longer than when paired with 11Pro on iOS18 Beta1. Like the battery drain is cut by half.
Someone else noticed it? I can say that it’s even slightly better than on 17.5.1

Extra news: Watch app on iOS 18 have more data about Watch or I missed it in the past somehow? Tried to search but not found.

Attachments

• IMG_4536.jpeg
    IMG_4536.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4535.jpeg
    IMG_4535.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4533.jpeg
    IMG_4533.jpeg
    135.1 KB · Views: 57

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Man, Beta 2 fixed an issue that I’ve been reporting for years!
Prior to iOS 16, the Siri Suggestions in the Share Sheet used to mirror the conversations in the Messages app. Once conversations were deleted from the Messages app, they would no longer appear as Siri Suggestions in the Share Sheet.

With iOS 16, the Share Sheet started to become less accurate: rather than 100% mirroring the conversations from the Messages app, contacts that you message with often will still appear on the Share Sheet, even if there’s no conversation with that contact in the Messages app at the time.

With iOS 17, the Share Sheets are a mess. Share Sheets for Safari, Photos, Music, etc will all offer different contact suggestions, and it appears that the Music app Share Sheet contains the most accurate suggestions because it appears to mirror the conversations from the Messages app with the most accuracy.

To reproduce this issue:

• Open the Messages app and note the conversations within the app (I, personally, constantly delete conversations and prefer to keep a minimal amount of conversations in my Messages app).

• Open Safari and tap the icon to bring up the Share Sheet: the contact suggestions may not accurately reflect the same conversations from the Messages app.

• Now open the Music app and trigger the Share Sheet (long press an album or song and select “share”, for example).

• Note that the contact suggestions in the Music app most likely reflect the conversations in the Messages app with more accuracy.

In a perfect world, things would work the way they did prior to iOS 16: every single Share Sheet (Safari, Photos, Music, Notes, etc) would offer the exact same contact suggestions, and those suggestions would be an *exact* mirror of the current conversations that exist in the Messages app. And we’d no longer have to constantly tap contact suggestions and select “suggest less” because Siri wants to push frequent contacts, despite the fact that there’s no current conversation with said contact in the Messages app.
Really, really hoping this doesn’t get broken again…

Artesia

Suspended
Mar 30, 2024
Im still having this weird issue with tone volume, in the previous ios's when lowered the tone volume it also lowered notification sounds like text message ect. But now in ios 18 it feels like the setting is not taking any effect, notifications blast at full power, its destroying my ears.

Can you guys please confirm this? Im using APM.

Also if youre still on 17.5 or 17.6 can you still confirm its working like intended. It would mean a lot.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Pretty sure this is a new thing as i use my calculator a lot, but im finding it really annoying getting a 'syntax error' when i type e.g. 7750 / ,6. I have to type 0,6 whereas before it was fine in figuring out that it was clearly a zero before it. noticeably when the decimal figure is first, so if i type ,6 x 7750 it automatically puts the 0 in, so why not in a second figure?

hope that makes sense, not sure it does. i mean when a number is 0,something, i didnt use to have to type the zero (im sure) .

Artesia

Suspended
Mar 30, 2024
Pretty sure this is a new thing as i use my calculator a lot, but im finding it really annoying getting a 'syntax error' when i type e.g. 7750 / ,6. I have to type 0,6 whereas before it was fine in figuring out that it was clearly a zero before it. noticeably when the decimal figure is first, so if i type ,6 x 7750 it automatically puts the 0 in, so why not in a second figure?

hope that makes sense, not sure it does. i mean when a number is 0,something, i didnt use to have to type the zero (im sure) .

IMG_0244.png

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland

It's working fine for me, but I use "." instead of "," in my numbers as my location is set to the UK.

IMG_0074.jpeg

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
iOS 18 DB 2 seems to overestimate battery usage bar... No other iPhone to compare but I check the total time I use the iPhone per hour and the bar shows something entirely different... [Manually counting the minutes of use vs the amount of time shown on the battery usage section] I was not able to check if this happened with iOS 17.5.1 or iOS 18 DB 1

Again, before iPhone 13 Pro on iOS 17.5.1 and now iOS 18 DB 2, I was using iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 16.7, so I may not be used to the smaller battery and newer iOS version...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.