Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

RckyMtnJK

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2022
Can anyone comment as to whether sports game Live Activities are mapped to the, you know, Sports app in iOS18? For whatever reason they live in the TV App in iOS17.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I don’t know what exactly even changed in Safari but the swipe gesture seems to be way more sensitive and it’s annoying like when I want to just close an open tab with a swipe on the overview, I constantly end up swiping to private mode or a custom tab group instead

Reactions: Mr. Awesome

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I don’t know what exactly even changed in Safari but the swipe gesture seems to be way more sensitive and it’s annoying like when I want to just close an open tab with a swipe on the overview, I constantly end up swiping to private mode or a custom tab group instead
Yes, the new UI is a significant downgrade.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Bay Area weather can be very unpredictable. San Francisco might one day be a chilly overcast 60 degrees and the next day it might be a sunny 80 degrees. So it's nice to know what you should wear for any given day lol. Also rain can be kind of sporadic here. One day it's completely clear, the next day it's pouring. I like to avoid any long trips when it's raining because many people in California have no idea how to drive in the rain.

In the UK I never checked the weather because it's very predictable. It's grey most of the time and during the summer it's "hot"
Same here in the DMV on the east coast. Especially in the last 3 years or so, it’s typical to see a 20+ degree difference between the high and low temperatures, to say nothing of the day to day weather patterns.

Reactions: zakarhino

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Long overdue. Forcing you to scroll all the way through tens of thousands of photos in your photo library to find the desired photo, which was added to the library years ago, is unworkable. There have been times I’ve had to exit the picker
, open the Photos app itself to find and resave an old image just so it would be surfaced at the top of the list. Now it looks like we will have all the same search tools we have within the Photos app itself.
I believe it existed in iOS 17 as well.

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Something that just randomly occurred to me, did Apple forget about WebApps to HomeScreen when they added the „Dark“ option for the Home Screen?

I am aware that 3rd party Apps need to take care of it themselves in upcoming releases but what about WebApps on your Home Screen?

For instance, I have MacRumors on my Home Screen as an WebApp and it is mainly white but I don’t have the option to make it use a dark option.

Can website owners add an alternative logo (light and dark) or did Apple simply forget this use case

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Something that just randomly occurred to me, did Apple forget about WebApps to HomeScreen when they added the „Dark“ option for the Home Screen?

I am aware that 3rd party Apps need to take care of it themselves in upcoming releases but what about WebApps on your Home Screen?

For instance, I have MacRumors on my Home Screen as an WebApp and it is mainly white but I don’t have the option to make it use a dark option.

Can website owners add an alternative logo (light and dark) or did Apple simply forget this use case
Just send them feedback, maybe they forgot or it’s a bug.
Neither way it’s important for them that you share your feedback in the feedbacks app

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
I did not send them a feedback because I do not use webapps on my homescreen, and yes I would select homescreen (it’s the most fitting I guess)

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
Can anyone comment as to whether sports game Live Activities are mapped to the, you know, Sports app in iOS18? For whatever reason they live in the TV App in iOS17.
It makes sense it’s with the TV app, as TV app is a default app, sports you have to manually add from the App Store.

Also, the live activity opens the TV app to the game, from what I remember.

I think the Sports app should have its own version of live activities though.

Whoops2474

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2023
Probably not new but still only took me 18 iOS versions to realize that one can long press on the App Store updates list to get further info. I assume this has always been there? 😅

Apple and its „secret“ long press functionality
Checked this on iOS 17 and it works.

IMG_4082.png

Reactions: Strutten

Kal Madda

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2022
In iOS system dark mode, can you still use the original non-dark icons if you want?

Also can you tint light icons, or only dark ones?
Yes you can, but it does also turn your Home Screen widgets to light mode as well. So apps will still be in dark mode, but your app icons and widgets will be light mode, where before in previous iOS versions like iOS 17, your widgets would be in dark mode and your icons would be in “light mode”.

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Screenshot 2024-06-30 at 10.30.43 AM.jpeg
Seems like the locational data in Messages just got a lot more detailed. In the past this same locale would have been “New York, NY”

Wonder if this will translate into the Weather app as well?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Not sure if this was present in iOS 17, but if you type in a word in Messages that correlates to one of your stickers, it will display the sticker in the Suggestions bar at the bottom of the screen. I have a couple of stickers of my dogs and when I typed “dog”, it suggested those stickers. This is similar to how it suggests emoji if you type the right trigger word. It will be interesting to see if this also works for the Genmoji somehow.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Not sure if this was present in iOS 17, but if you type in a word in Messages that correlates to one of your stickers, it will display the sticker in the Suggestions bar at the bottom of the screen. I have a couple of stickers of my dogs and when I typed “dog”, it suggested those stickers. This is similar to how it suggests emoji if you type the right trigger word. It will be interesting to see if this also works for the Genmoji somehow.

Works for more general terms like anime, too. Don't ask.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Probably not new but still only took me 18 iOS versions to realize that one can long press on the App Store updates list to get further info. I assume this has always been there? 😅

Apple and its „secret“ long press functionality
I think this has been available since 3D Touch was introduced which was back in 2015 when iOS 9 was announced and released...

3D Touch was dropped completely in 2019 with the introduction of iPhone 11 series...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.