Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phogro

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2015
Boston, MA
a website in China is saying we are getting 17.5.2 to fix some kind of screen time vulnerability. Site could be fake news, haven't heard anything on this from Zollo or other major outlets

According to this which references an article by the WSJ https://www.macrumors.com/2024/06/05/apple-parental-control-bug-fix/

In a statement to Stern, Apple said that it is aware of an "issue with an underlying web technology protocol for developers, which allows a user to bypass web content restrictions." A fix is planned for "the next software update."

Whether that's 17.5.2 or 17.6 remains to be seen, but that could be what the Chinese article is referring to.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Nothing today. Doubtful next week with iOS 18 beta 1 dropping Monday.

16.6 beta 2 dropped on May 31, 2023, which was the Wednesday before WWDC 2023. I suspect that yesterday (the Wednesday before WWDC 2024) was the last chance for 17.6 beta 1 to drop before WWDC begins next Monday.

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

iLuddite

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2023
16.6 beta 2 dropped on May 31, 2023, which was the Wednesday before WWDC 2023. I suspect that yesterday (the Wednesday before WWDC 2024) was the last chance for 17.6 beta 1 to drop before WWDC begins next Monday.
This must be the first time in recent years I won’t be moving from a previous-version beta to the new version’s first beta…odd

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
This must be the first time in recent years I won’t be moving from a previous-version beta to the new version’s first beta…odd
I will do it, so I will tell you about the experience as well as the errors and bugs that the installation can give (I will do it on an iPhone 12 Pro) the one I normally use is a 14 Pro ;), HAPPY WEEKEND!!! 😘😘:guay::guay:

• Love
Reactions: iLuddite

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hmm… it’s been repeated over and over that iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 are finished and no new features are expected, only further polishing and stability improvements.

However, I just recalled that there are actually a couple of things yet to be implemented, at least on the EU, that could come with iOS and iPadOS 17.6

First, all the DMA changes should come to the iPad platform, sooner rather than later. This includes third party App Stores, asking for a default web browser the first time we get to search the web, and the ability to download and install apps from websites. You may like this DMA more or less, I’m not intending to start the debate again, but it is coming to iPad as well. And it could come with iPadOS 17.6

Second: different browsers should have the freedom to implement their own engine. Yes, I know this will be detrimental for the people who, like me, love Safari, because it will see a drop in its usage, and this could discourage websites from properly supporting the WebKit engine Safari runs. But on the flip side, people will be able to use Firefox with its Gecko engine, and Brave could (🤞🏻) support it’s native, in-browser, torrent manager and downloader. This would be absolutely wonderful on iPad.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Hmm… it’s been repeated over and over that iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 are finished and no new features are expected, only further polishing and stability improvements.

However, I just recalled that there are actually a couple of things yet to be implemented, at least on the EU, that could come with iOS and iPadOS 17.6

First, all the DMA changes should come to the iPad platform, sooner rather than later. This includes third party App Stores, asking for a default web browser the first time we get to search the web, and the ability to download and install apps from websites. You may like this DMA more or less, I’m not intending to start the debate again, but it is coming to iPad as well. And it could come with iPadOS 17.6

Second: different browsers should have the freedom to implement their own engine. Yes, I know this will be detrimental for the people who, like me, love Safari, because it will see a drop in its usage, and this could discourage websites from properly supporting the WebKit engine Safari runs. But on the flip side, people will be able to use Firefox with its Gecko engine, and Brave could () support it’s native, in-browser, torrent manager and downloader. This would be absolutely wonderful on iPad.

I guarantee that iPadOS will not get the DMA-treatment in iPadOS 17.6.

Why?

The iPad was only made subject to the DMA on April 29 (see this article: https://techcrunch.com/2024/04/29/ipados-dma/). Apple was given six months to implement the necessary changes.

As we saw from the dramatic iOS version of this story, Apple will wait until the last possible minute to implement the needed changes.

Additionally, iOS/iPadOS 17.6 was probably in an advanced stage of development internally by April 29 and I don’t think Apple was going to go back to the drawing board to with that software to meet a deadline 4 1/2 months before it needs to do so.

Finally, the internal priority for Apple even on April 29 was getting iOS 18 complete in time for WWDC. Perhaps getting the iPad DMA compliant is the EU’s priority, it certainly is not Apple’s. A “normal” X.6 update would probably have a skeleton crew of Apple engineers assigned to it. A full on rewrite of iPadOS would require more resources which I am sure Apple would be very reluctant to allocate when a major overhaul of iOS is in its final stages.

Look for this to show up perhaps in iPadOS 18.1, somewhere around October 29th! Apple and the EU may even have negotiated the date of the order (April 29th) so that the six month period would expire in time for a planned iOS 18 update.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

Why?

The iPad was only made subject to the DMA on April 29 (see this article: https://techcrunch.com/2024/04/29/ipados-dma/). Apple was given six months to implement the necessary changes.

As we saw from the dramatic iOS version of this story, Apple will wait until the last possible minute to implement the needed changes.

Additionally, iOS/iPadOS 17.6 was probably in an advanced stage of development internally by April 29 and I don’t think Apple was going to go back to the drawing board to with that software to meet a deadline 4 1/2 months before it needs to do so.

Finally, the internal priority for Apple even on April 29 was getting iOS 18 complete in time for WWDC. Perhaps getting the iPad DMA compliant is the EU’s priority, it certainly is not Apple’s. A “normal” X.6 update would probably have a skeleton crew of Apple engineers assigned to it. A full on rewrite of iPadOS would require more resources which I am sure Apple would be very reluctant to allocate when a major overhaul of iOS is in its final stages.

Look for this to show up perhaps in iPadOS 18.1, somewhere around October 29th! Apple and the EU may even have negotiated the date of the order (April 29th) so that the six month period would expire in time for a planned iOS 18 update.
Yeah, that’s a solid reasoning. By the way, do we know if browsers on iOS 17.5 already support the ability to use a different engine? If not, that could be coming on iOS 17.6

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)

Why?

It's a good reasoning and I share it!! We started the week, and I hope it is full of pleasant news, at least we have today, Monday, the WWDC with the presentation of the new and brand new IOS and macOS, I also wish you all a happy week. Thank you very much iLuddite! ;):cool::cool:

Reactions: Realityck

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Deleted. Blast whatever is causing these crazy emoji code posts. Can’t blame Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Reactions: JFLECHUGA

IGWT15

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2015
Miami, Florida
Purchased a pre-owned iPhone 13 Pro and is running iOS 17.0.3

Checked battery status using Coconut Battery and showing 100% battery health and 0 cycle count... Full charge is 3198mAh while design capacity is 3095mAh...

Should I update to iOS 17.5.1 or wait for iOS 17.6?
Is Apple going to release a 17.6 anytime soon ??

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Is Apple going to release a 17.6 anytime soon ??
Looking at past releases...

iOS 13.5 (17F75) - 20th May 2020
iOS 13.5.1 (17F80) - 1st June 2020
iOS 13.6 (17G68) - 15th July 2020

iOS 14.5.1 (18E212) - 3rd May 2021
iOS 14.6 (18F72) - 24th May 2021
iOS 14.7 (18G69) - 19th July 2021

iOS 15.4.1 (19E258) - 31st March 2022
iOS 15.5 (19F77) - 16th May 2022
iOS 15.6 (19G71) - 20th July 2022

iOS 16.5 (20F66) - 18th May 2023
iOS 16.5.1 (20F75) - 21st June 2023
iOS 16.6 (20G75) - 24th July 2023

iOS 17.4.1 (21E237) - 27th March 2024
iOS 17.5 (21F79) - 13th May 2024
iOS 17.5.1 (21F90) - 20th May 2024
iOS 17.6 (?) - ?

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
Are we gonna see something this week? :)
Surely yes, taking into account that they have to implement everything they announced at the WWDC so that in its launch practically everything is shot, you have to think about the vacation period that always lower the working hours and autumn arrives sooner rather than later, that is my speculation to believe that every week something new is put to evaluate and record the errors, apart from the public betas that are more refined. Well, I've already cut the roll. And I said HAPPY WEEK!! ;);):cool::cool:

Abthevolfan92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2022
Not sure if I heard Zollo right but sounded like he said we won't see 17.6 until september right before the launch of Ios 18

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.