Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdavid_rp

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2020
Someone please tell me why we owners of iPhone 8 Plus were able to download and run IOS 17 BETA??

BUT NOW WE ARE EXCLUDED FROM RUNNING THE RELEASED POLISHED VERSION OF IOS 17???

THIS REALLY SUCKS!! get our hopes up that iPhone 8 owners will be included in the IOS 17 upgrade!!

new level of trickery by APPLE.
Show us your iPhone 8 Plus on iOS 17 beta please

OnawaAfrica

Cancelled
Jul 26, 2019
Someone please tell me why we owners of iPhone 8 Plus were able to download and run IOS 17 BETA??

BUT NOW WE ARE EXCLUDED FROM RUNNING THE RELEASED POLISHED VERSION OF IOS 17???

THIS REALLY SUCKS!! get our hopes up that iPhone 8 owners will be included in the IOS 17 upgrade!!

new level of trickery by APPLE.
first of all there was never a beta for ios 17 on iphone 8 and 2nd it was anounced at WWDC it only from iphone SE 3rdGen and XR upwards. show a prove that ur 8plus runs ios 17. u are just looking to troll

InsideApple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2020
Any idea when Apple is extending the drop for "Hey Siri" to Switzerland? This is super annoying and I don't understand why the hell this has to be rolled out in waves...

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
I think iOS 17 had more wonderlust dust sprinkled over it than the entire wonderlust event last week.

It certainly is a solid release all round.

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Appreciate this article very much. It does summarize the new features on the update and is helpful to anyone who wants to know the new features.

scarletfire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Love the update so far but why are all my custom text tones gone 😭. They are showing up with all my downloaded ringtones instead of in "Text Tone". Oddly enough, the text tones I have set to contacts previously still seem to function? Its so odd, I can't tell if its a bug or if they are just removing the option to have custom text tones. Sadness 🥲

scarletfire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
My photos app still shows "people & places" section instead of "People, Pets & Places".
Is this because the photos have. to reindex since the ios17 update, to see if there are pets present in any photos?
Mine has a bolded category/section called "People & Places" like you said with "albums" underneath titled "People & Pets" and "Places". Also yes, I believe it needs to reindex or scan your photos since the update. There is a line that reads "lock your iPhone and connect it to power to complete" at the bottom of the "People & Pets" album once you click into it.

I plugged my phone in, opened my photo app, locked my phone, and left it on the charger overnight and this morning I had the option to select some of the pets featured throughout my photos! I think it just might take some time if you have a lot of photos.

urbZZ

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2016
I am on IOS 17, but I cannot choose between "Siri" and "Hey, Siri".

Anyone with the same Problem? Maybe because of German Siri?

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
New if you do a manual clear history - provides menu type options but doesn't remember from one instance to the next - so if you set the time frame or close all tabs - it doesn't keep the settings the next time? Why?? Nice to have the options but it would be nice to set and remember

happy_camper1010

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2019
I have the same exact issue between my wife and I - but I can share it with other people - tried removing her nickname, altering her email addresses to include her icloud email - nothing seems to work.
Same issue here as well. I can't share any of my Airtags with my wife, but she can share her's with me. I'm going to try to remove them from my account and add them to her's and just share them all from her account to me.

John_Apple

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2023
My photos app still shows "people & places" section instead of "People, Pets & Places".
Is this because the photos have. to reindex since the ios17 update, to see if there are pets present in any photos?
This morning it showed up ok...so it was the photos being indexed.

AndrewC89

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2022
I know this is slightly off topic but I didn’t see an iPad OS 17 thread so I’m asking here:

Anyone else having issues changing their Lock Screen on iPad? Once I select “Customize“ and get to the “Customize Wallpaper” screen, I can’t press on the Lockscreen or Homescreen :confused:

Update: It started working after a couple hard resets.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    125 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Love the update so far but why are all my custom text tones gone 😭. They are showing up with all my downloaded ringtones instead of in "Text Tone". Oddly enough, the text tones I have set to contacts previously still seem to function? Its so odd, I can't tell if its a bug or if they are just removing the option to have custom text tones. Sadness 🥲
I read somewhere that you can continue to use your custom tones for ringtones but not for text and other notifications.

Reactions: scarletfire

scarletfire

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
I read somewhere that you can continue to use your custom tones for ringtones but not for text and other notifications.
Yes I believe you can! All of my custom ringtones are still in the ringtones "section" as well as all my custom text tones that got moved there for some reason. I have not tried adding new ringtones to my phone yet so I don't know if that still functions the same. I guess I'll just leave everything alone since my previously assigned text tones still function.

I've read several reasons as to why this might be but I'm still holding on to hope its a bug 😭

paulcons

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2017
New York City
BIGGEST mistake I've ever made getting my iPad to 17. Just so many things totally broken..or completely oversold. Start with the lock screen... many times what I have seen work will simply not work any more (customizing the damn thing). The Earth pic I chose actually covers up part of the time, especially the last number. Went with a different one, (earth full circle) it shows on the lock screen but the Home screen has it shoved all the way to the bottom so more than half of it is simply black.

But, oh, hey, widgets on the lock screen! First, you can NOT place them how you want, they have to all go right under the time display. AND to make matters worse, there were some that I hve on my home screen that I want on the lock screen... BUT it seems they only allow a very very limited selection and NONE of what I can put on my home screen. Pointless that way.

So I very frequently set timers for all sorts of things. Worked great in 16.x. NOW it waits 5-10 seonds after mthe time is up AND plays the wrong AUDIO NOTIFICATION. Spent half an hour fussing with this (oh, doing a LOT of power offs) and the same tning happens, wrong audio and delayed 5+ seconds after the timer runs out.

Just now another fraked up thing happened. Did a financial transaction in PayPal, looked over at my ipad because iit aways showed a notification.. buut no, nothing, nada, blank.

I go back to the original OS in May 1984. Did mission critical stuff (mailing list for about 30k users) on a SE in PS9. Never a hitch. I am very unhappy and sad to what Cupertino has become. I've never seen such "sucky" OS from them, and the rush to add glitz seems to subsume the actually useful stuff I depend on. I seriously doubt my next desktop will come from China... errr Cupertino. It's so sad to see the work that the Steve's out in to Apple be replaced with 100% money grubbing evil corporation. I always thought f M$ as the evil empire... these days Cook has turned the company into a far more evil empire.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
Yes I believe you can! All of my custom ringtones are still in the ringtones "section" as well as all my custom text tones that got moved there for some reason. I have not tried adding new ringtones to my phone yet so I don't know if that still functions the same. I guess I'll just leave everything alone since my previously assigned text tones still function.

I've read several reasons as to why this might be but I'm still holding on to hope its a bug 😭
I’m going to try adding some new ones tomorrow when I get my new iPhone and see what happens.

Reactions: scarletfire

Alpha Centauri

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2020
Did they fix the lock screen so you don't accidentally enter this customization theme mode. That keeps happening in iOS 16, need to be able to turn that off.
Funny you mention this, it happens to me quite frequently. So much so that I've just started a thread on this topic here. In my case it happens when just physically turning the phone from screen facing up, to screen facing down. No short, long, or any interaction with the screen involved. Without the haptic feedback I probably would have accidentally deleted a few Apps by now.

Reactions: Biro

ResEvilG4

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Why did apple make it where you cannot delete apps unless you allow it?! And why is this option on by default. It is the most ****ing annoying thing in the world. It's not even in parental controls. It's hidden in the App Store options in screen time.

WHY? Why would I ever want to turn off the option of deleting an app. You added the App Library option and tried taking away just deleting. SUPER ****ING SKETCHY TIM!!! Apple has really fallen so far in the last decade. DO BETTER!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.