Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During the iOS 17 beta testing process from June to September, MacRumors wrote a series of in-depth feature guides highlighting every major new addition, plus how tos that walk you through using the new features.

iOS-17-Ultimate-Guide-Feature-2.5.jpg

This comprehensive guide rounds up all of our coverage, making it a great resource for casual users who haven't had a chance to test out iOS 17 and those who might not remember all of the new features. Everything is organized by app or feature to make it easy to find what you might be looking for.
Lock Screen Updates

Apple made further updates to the Lock Screen in iOS 17 with StandBy, a feature that turns an iPhone into a home hub when it's charging and positioned in a horizontal orientation. The update also brings interactive widgets and other features.

iOS-17-Lockscreen-Feature.jpg

Every new feature for the Lock Screen is outlined in our iOS 17 Lock Screen guide.

The Messages app got a redesign that makes it less cluttered and simpler to use, plus it has a revamp to the stickers function. Emoji are now stickers and can be placed anywhere on an iMessage, and you can even create your own stickers from photos. A new Check In feature keeps you safe by allowing friends and family to track your trips when you're alone.

iOS-17-Messages-Feature.jpg

There are more than 10 new features in the Messages app, all of which can be found in our iOS 17 Messages guide.

Privacy and Security

There are multiple privacy and security improvements in iOS 17, including restricted access to the private browsing tab, the removal of tracking URLs, secure ways to share passwords, and more.

iOS-17-Privacy-and-Security-Improvements-Feature.jpg

All of the privacy and security enhancements in iOS 17 are listed in our Privacy and Security guide.

Safety

New safety-related features in iOS 17 range from sensitive content warnings that block unwanted nude photos to offline maps and critical reminders for medications.

iOS-17-Safety-Feature.jpg

All of the updated safety features in iOS 17 are included in our dedicated iOS 17 Safety guide.

CarPlay

Apple didn't preview the promised next-generation CarPlay experience, but CarPlay did get SharePlay for allowing every... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: iOS 17 Features: The Ultimate Mega Guide

Last edited:

JCrz

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I can’t share an AirTag with my friend who is also running iOS 17:

Sharing Failed
This AirTag couldn't be shared due to an unexpected error. Please remove this person and try sharing this Air Tag again

We’ve tried restarting both our phones. Also tried phone numbers and other emails, too.

He can share his AirTag with me, but oddly it uses his iCloud email, not his Apple ID email.

Anyone else experiencing this?

inkedarticlez

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2023
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Currently running a pre-release version - iPadOS 17.0 (21A329)

Best way to clean boot the now publlc iPadOS?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Last edited:

airwalk331

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Question for the class! I have an iphone 14 pro 256 GB on the last ios 16 update. I'm getting the new iphone 15 pro 256 GB on Friday. Do I upgrade to ios 17, back everything up to icloud AND THEN trade in for iphone 15 pro?

OR

Do I just back everything up now on ios 16 and then let my iphone 15 pro download everything from (presumably) ios 17??

What's best? I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't as buggy as these ios releases have been..

mousekiks

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
I can’t share an AirTag with my friend who is also running iOS 17:

Sharing Failed
This AirTag couldn't be shared due to an unexpected error. Please remove this person and try sharing this Air Tag again

We’ve tried restarting both our phones. Also tried phone numbers and other emails, too.

He can share his AirTag with me, but oddly it uses his iCloud email, not his Apple ID email.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Yes. Similar issue with my AirTags sharing to my wife.

SilverWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2021
Question for the class! I have an iphone 14 pro 256 GB on the last ios 16 update. I'm getting the new iphone 15 pro 256 GB on Friday. Do I upgrade to ios 17, back everything up to icloud AND THEN trade in for iphone 15 pro?

OR

Do I just back everything up now on ios 16 and then let my iphone 15 pro download everything from (presumably) ios 17??

What's best? I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't as buggy as these ios releases have been..

One route would be to back up the phone as is to your computer - so you have a complete copy.
Save that backup somewhere safe (so it can't get overwritten or 'updated' by any additional backup process).

Then update the phone to iOS 17; make adjustments to the new settings in the new OS to your liking; then make a backup of that as well.
When you get your new phone, restore from the iOS 17 backup.

It's probably over the top to do it that way, but it's probably the most reliable route.

I don't know if you can restore from an iOS 16 backup to an iOS 17 only phone - presumably a backup is just a copy of contacts, applications, music, photos, etc., and settings; and does not include the OS itself making it OS agnostic. Presumably.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.