Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I'm still experiencing severe battery drain on 17.6 with my 13 Pro , no change after upgrading from 17.5.1
I'm basically loosing 1hr of battery use everyday.

Lost 5% just for browsing and not even watching any video within 5 minutes on iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 17.5.1 and this is after 4 days since iOS 17.5.1 was installed, updated from iOS 17.0.3 [I bought a pre-owned iPhone 13 Pro but I updated it to iOS 17.5.1]

I previously owned an iPhone 14 Pro Max running iOS 16.7 so I'm fairly new to iOS 17 as well as the iPhone 13 Pro battery experience...

Based on what you said, it seems to me that it will not matter whether I stay on iOS 17.5.1 or update to iOS 17.6 DB/PB 1, battery life will be the same... I hope not...

Reactions: ahmede

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
IMG_0363.png

This is my battery life from yesterday on my iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 17.5.1. I think I'd be able to hit maybe 6,5h SOT.
This is with 1h Spotify listening in the background, the rest in the background is my sleep timer app which is opened when my phone is charging. And yes I know instagram is a battery killer but that's just 1h SOT only messaging. Funny enough, most of the time it's safari in the first place (yesterday it was in the second place).
iOS 17 is the worst iOS version for me yet. At least in terms of battery life.

Funny that on iOS 17.0 betas in the summer battery life was literally almost the same as on iOS 16 (10h+ SOT), maybe 1h SOT less and then when it was closer to September and new iPhones, my battery life *suddenly and magically* went downhill and all those updates didn't fix it. I even remember when some people told me to wait for the apps to be updated which I knew from the beginning was a BS because the battery life got nerfed in half with just one update.
I know that's conspiracy theory that apple slows down and make the battery life worse for older iPhones but I'm starting to believe it, only because that has happened to me.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
View attachment 2390781

This is my battery life from yesterday on my iPhone 13 Pro Max with iOS 17.5.1. I think I'd be able to hit maybe 6,5h SOT.
This is with 1h Spotify listening in the background, the rest in the background is my sleep timer app which is opened when my phone is charging. And yes I know instagram is a battery killer but that's just 1h SOT only messaging. Funny enough, most of the time it's safari in the first place (yesterday it was in the second place).
iOS 17 is the worst iOS version for me yet. At least in terms of battery life.

Funny that on iOS 17.0 betas in the summer battery life was literally almost the same as on iOS 16 (10h+ SOT), maybe 1h SOT less and then when it was closer to September and new iPhones, my battery life *suddenly and magically* went downhill and all those updates didn't fix it. I even remember when some people told me to wait for the apps to be updated which I knew from the beginning was a BS because the battery life got nerfed in half with just one update.
I know that's conspiracy theory that apple slows down and make the battery life worse for older iPhones but I'm starting to believe it, only because that has happened to me.

The exact same thing happened to me. And I don't think Apple is doing this on purpose: I think they introduced some issue in one of the iOS 17.0 betas which they never managed to fully resolve. All the iPhones out there now just last way less than they could, battery-wise. It's a shame.

ahmede

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I think I've narrowed down the battery drain cause on my 13 Pro
iCloud syncing of Contacts and Calender is stuck in a bootloop.

I have disabled iCloud Contacts and Calender,
Battery life has definitely improved.

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Brand new iPhone 15 Pro with iOS 17.5.1! Idle drain from 92% to 81% in less than 6 hrs !
Hate that update so much!
And I am on charger with 80% limit !!!
While I wrote this lost even another percentage to 80%…actually two percentage!
Thinking about upgrading to iOS 18 beta 2 actually …

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
Brand new iPhone 15 Pro with iOS 17.5.1! Idle drain from 92% to 81% in less than 6 hrs !
Hate that update so much!
And I am on charger with 80% limit !!!
While I wrote this lost even another percentage to 80%…actually two percentage!
Thinking about upgrading to iOS 18 beta 2 actually …
Don't. I just reverted back to iOS 17 because battery life is abysmal on 18

Stiille

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2024
Have you test beta 1 or beta 2?
Wondering too.
Because I am on Beta 2 and it’s quite good the battery life!
It’s 3:50pm here and I disconnected my iPhone from charger at 09:15am - from 90% limit to 38% but with high usage of my phone almost the whole time.
~5hrs SOT with 15 Pro on a beta that early is quite impressive I would say!

Reactions: Shelly74

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
i did count, hour for hour from 06:00 am to 10 PM (06:00-22:00) and i got exactly 8 hours screen time from 100% —-> 10%. Whole day wifi connected.

I did a fresh dfu install with ios 17.51 on iphone 13 pro.
My battery shows 89% and 850cycles.

I think this is impressive. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_0003.png
    IMG_0003.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Tomas1988

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
i did count, hour for hour from 06:00 am to 10 PM (06:00-22:00) and i got exactly 8 hours screen time from 100% —-> 10%. Whole day wifi connected.

I did a fresh dfu install with ios 17.51 on iphone 13 pro.
My battery shows 89% and 850cycles.

I think this is impressive. What do you think?
It's good I guess, reliable WiFi makes a big difference when using network related things. Using a 13pro with 17.5.1 and are normally getting good numbers. Never done a DFU install tho.

It is really hard to measure battery-life with just the standard tools, it's so much going on in the background and other factors to take in.

Was recently away traveling abroad and it really showed what an impact not being connected to Wifi, roaming, using 5G and 4G only with poor reception at times and not being stationary can have on a device.
Things such as poor reception, photo sync to iCloud and backups of large amounts of data isn't always visible in the battery stats and makes it hard to troubleshoot or understand what services that might drain batteries.

ras113

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2017
It's good I guess, reliable WiFi makes a big difference when using network related things. Using a 13pro with 17.5.1 and are normally getting good numbers. Never done a DFU install tho.

It is really hard to measure battery-life with just the standard tools, it's so much going on in the background and other factors to take in.

Was recently away traveling abroad and it really showed what an impact not being connected to Wifi, roaming, using 5G and 4G only with poor reception at times and not being stationary can have on a device.
Things such as poor reception, photo sync to iCloud and backups of large amounts of data isn't always visible in the battery stats and makes it hard to troubleshoot or understand what services that might drain batteries.

Thats true, wifi can save a lot.

I dont think i got 8 hours when the phone was totaly new before. I did watch couple of videos what to turn off that can save batteri, like system stuff.

I also think that dfu install and new clean ios made all good for battery and not only becausd ios 17.51 is that good,

What also impresses me that battery have 850cycles. I was thinking to change battery but i will wait and save 100 dollars. I was thinking to have the phone for 3-4 years, i am on 2.5 😅

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Thats true, wifi can save a lot.

I dont think i got 8 hours when the phone was totaly new before. I did watch couple of videos what to turn off that can save batteri, like system stuff.

I also think that dfu install and new clean ios made all good for battery and not only becausd ios 17.51 is that good,

What also impresses me that battery have 850cycles. I was thinking to change battery but i will wait and save 100 dollars. I was thinking to have the phone for 3-4 years, i am on 2.5 😅
I didn't really focus on the 850 cycles part and you are right, that is impressive. I'm down on 85% on my 13Pro and its about the same age as yours. Not sure what my cycle count are but guessing its along those lines.
Would be interesting to know more on how the percentage is calculated.

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Disclaimer: I know most of you talk about screen on time, and battery drain on this thread. I’m gonna share my experience with battery health percentage tho.

This is on iOS 16 but I think it’s relevant for this iOS 17 thread.

I’m still on iOS 16.6.1 (I plan to update my iPhone during the next few days, maybe today if I have time), and I started using my iPhone SE3 on this very same version of iOS.

Yesterday, my battery health suddenly dropped from 96% to 92%. The phone will be one year old in September.

This has happened while still being on iOS 16, I didn’t even update my iPhone software since I bought it!

So, for those who suspect that big battery health drops are iOS updates’ culprit, my experience says otherwise.

Nevertheless, I’ll keep you updated about my battery health percentage once I finally update to iOS 17.5.1 or iOS 17.6

Last edited:
Reactions: Reverend Benny

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
I updated my iPhone 13 from iOS 17.2 to 17.5.1 over the weekend. 96% battery health. At first, battery life wasn't great but it seems to have settled now.

I'm now getting terrible battery drain when using 4G. Signal strength is good and stable. Turned off everything in the background to try and find the issue, to no avail ☹️

Battery life on WiFi is superb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.