Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
I updated a few days ago, should be done with any indexing, etc. It's very strange. Not sure what to make of it. I hope it's a software bug that can be ironed out, if it's a battery fault that's a bigger problem.

It’s seem strange it’s just randomly done this a few days after updating. You also mentioned a touch problem, it’s possible that you have a faulty device? Try a soft reset and see how you get on. I always do this following a software update.

Reactions: Snow4maen

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
No problem. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻 hope it’s just a one off random glitch.
You know, I wonder? I leave my iPhone plugged into my MacBook to charge all day so it doesn't run low, keep it to hand. I turned the MacBook power off at the wall last night, and left the iPhone plugged in. No idea if it would make a difference, but perhaps somehow that affected the drain? Tonight, will plug it into the adapter and leave it charging!

Reactions: James6s

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
You know, I wonder? I leave my iPhone plugged into my MacBook to charge all day so it doesn't run low, keep it to hand. I turned the MacBook power off at the wall last night, and left the iPhone plugged in. No idea if it would make a difference, but perhaps somehow that affected the drain? Tonight, will plug it into the adapter and leave it charging!

See how you get on tonight. It’s quite possible that the drain was caused by leaving your iPhone plugged into the MacBook whilst the MacBook had no power supply from the mains. Not sure…

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I updated a few days ago, should be done with any indexing, etc. It's very strange. Not sure what to make of it. I hope it's a software bug that can be ironed out, if it's a battery fault that's a bigger problem.
What version did you update from?
I'm just guessing here now as I don't know all the details in relation to the 17.5.1 bug, but lets say you have been using an Apple device for a long time, have had a large corrupted photos database or similar it might be a case that there is some photos DB maintenance going on. Again guessing but i'd say when its "fixed" (if that's the case) it should really only be a one off thing that the battery drains due to heavy processing when fixing things.

Writing this makes me want to know a lot more and understand this "photos" bug 🙃

I see that the camera app has been used too, have you recorded some lengthy 4K material or similar that needed to be synced and processed to other devices? Its still a bit extreme in term of battery drain and photos should really stop syncing since when it reaches low battery.

Last edited:

Snow4maen

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2021
A small island near Europe
What version did you update from?
I'm just guessing here now as I don't know all the details in relation to the 17.5.1 bug, but lets say you have been using an Apple device for a long time, have had a large corrupted photos database or similar it might be a case that there is some photos DB maintenance going on. Again guessing but i'd say when its "fixed" (if that's the case) it should really only be a one off thing that the battery drains due to heavy processing when fixing things.

Writing this makes me want to know a lot more and understand this "photos" bug 🙃

I see that the camera app has been used too, have you recorded some lengthy 4K material or similar that needed to be synced and processed to other devices? Its still a bit extreme in term of battery drain and photos should really stop syncing since when it reaches low battery.
I update each time I get prompted to update I usually keep up with it, because I think it's best for security. So the previous version directly before this update. I do use the camera, but not in any way for lengthy video, just photos. I'll see how it goes. It's possible it was a corrupted DB being fixed and also perhaps being pugged in while having no power. So far today the batter life has been perfectly normal. Strange. Have to see how it is overnight/morning now. Thanks for the help.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
That’s my battery result. Second day with 17.5.1. Mostly on WiFi but from 8:30 to 14:00 at the office where always my iPhone 15 pro struggles no one knows why.
Disaster. I can get 8-10h in WiFi only when I make a full restore but I am tired of this.
Don’t know what to do. Maybe I should let iPhone discharge to 0%. Maybe some battery memory has issue or software can’t read battery properly enough when I charge it day by day only to 80%.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.png
    IMG_0455.png
    358.2 KB · Views: 69

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
That’s my battery result. Second day with 17.5.1. Mostly on WiFi but from 8:30 to 14:00 at the office where always my iPhone 15 pro struggles no one knows why.
Disaster. I can get 8-10h in WiFi only when I make a full restore but I am tired of this.
Don’t know what to do. Maybe I should let iPhone discharge to 0%. Maybe some battery memory has issue or software can’t read battery properly enough when I charge it day by day only to 80%.
Not sure why you think this is a disaster. Sure on-srcreen time is not high but that's not the whole truth or the only thing to look at.
You haven't used up half of your battery from 07:28 to 20:28, that's pretty alright. Also, while people claim wifi drain less battery than cellular, that's also far from the always being true.
Sure, if its your home WiFi where you know whats going on on your network, know what Wifi standard being used, know what "talking" on your network and so on, then fine. But on a "foreign" network you have no idea what activity that's going on and how much your device is communicating or are being "talked" to.

Is your phone a "company phone" that's managed by your company?

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
Not sure why you think this is a bad result. Sure on-srcreen time is not high but that's not the whole truth or the only thing to look at.
You haven't used up half of your battery from 07:28 to 20:28, that's pretty alright. Also, while people claim wifi drain less battery than cellular, that's also far from the always being true.
Sure, if its your home WiFi where you know whats going on on your network, know what Wifi standard being used, know what "talking" on your network and so on, then fine. But on a "foreign" network you have no idea what activity that's going on and how much your device is communicating or are being "talked" to.
WiFi is waaaay more efficient than cellular in terms of battery. Beside you said foreign WiFi. Do you think that my own office WiFi where I have 3/4 computers is worse? I am not the only one who has this strange problem.
And yes I think it is absolutely bad result because I barely used my phone. What if I had been using it? Well maybe 3h SOT could be a max result.
I know that we can charge our phones easily but if we don’t react and agree on that Apple will be as bad as android. That’s not what I wanted.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
WiFi is waaaay more efficient than cellular in terms of battery. Beside you said foreign WiFi. Do you think that my own office WiFi where I have 3/4 computers is worse? I am not the only one who has this strange problem.
And yes I think it is absolutely bad result because I barely used my phone. What if I had been using it? Well maybe 3h SOT could be a max result.
I know that we can charge our phones easily but if we don’t react and agree on that Apple will be as bad as android. That’s not what I wanted.
It's not black or white when it comes to Wifi, there are many things to take into account then it comes to battery consumption and Wifi. And as you bring up, others see this issue as well which might point towards a problem with your Wifi network. It can be all from a poorly configured Wifi, bad reception, old standard or devices on the network not acting as it should. With "foreign" Wifi I meant your office Wifi.

What happens if you don't hook it up to the office wifi one day? Is there a big difference in battery consumption?

Reactions: James6s

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
It's not black or white when it comes to Wifi, there are many things to take into account then it comes to battery consumption and Wifi. And as you bring up, others see this issue as well which might point towards a problem with your Wifi network. It can be all from a poorly configured Wifi, bad reception, old standard or devices on the network not acting as it should. With "foreign" Wifi I meant your office Wifi.

What happens if you don't hook it up to the office wifi one day? Is there a big difference in battery consumption?
Probably would be the same as cellular only. How you can explain why after restore my iPhone works so much better on my home WiFi but after few days or weeks everything comes back? But that’s not the only point. Result on celluar should be better. My previous 13 mini wasn’t that bad on iOS 16. Even if I have full signal battery is still draining and no one will tell me that it is normal. Especially when I don’t use my phone at all. Moreover most app don’t have location access and background refresh is turned off.
I’ve never been so dissatisfied. I had 6 iPhones before 15 pro. I’ve never ever had problem like this. And it is so obvious that software or software hardware combo causes that.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Probably would be the same as cellular only. How you can explain why after restore my iPhone works so much better on my home WiFi but after few days or weeks everything comes back? But that’s not the only point. Result on celluar should be better. My previous 13 mini wasn’t that bad on iOS 16. Even if I have full signal battery is still draining and no one will tell me that it is normal. Especially when I don’t use my phone at all. Moreover most app don’t have location access and background refresh is turned off.
I’ve never been so dissatisfied. I had 6 iPhones before 15 pro. I’ve never ever had problem like this. And it is so obvious that software or software hardware combo causes that.
Well, I can't explain it all cuz I don't have all the details on your network. WiFi is quite complicated if you dig into how it works. Just cuz one device works fine doesn't mean another will.
I didn't know it also was an issue with your home network. My advice there is to play around with using different frequencies, see if you can tweak settings (i.e disable old standards) and update the firmware on the router.
Have a look at what frequency your phone connects to your home Wifi and make a note of it. Check again and again and see if it changes. If you notice that its the same band then create a guest network on another frequency (if your router supports that) and use that for a while.

One advantage with using a guest network as a test is that its generally "isolated" meaning if there is a device on your regular network constantly talking to your iPhone its not there anymore.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Not sure why you think this is a disaster. Sure on-srcreen time is not high but that's not the whole truth or the only thing to look at.

Is your phone a "company phone" that's managed by your company?
2h 100-40% with only 13 hours of standby? That’s utter garbage.

A little funny, if your standard is that low you’ll always defend iOS updates, if you expect 3 hours you’ll never be disappointed. That’s unusable. My iPhone 6s on iOS 13 is better than that, let alone an actually efficient device on an efficient iOS version.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
2h 100-40% with only 13 hours of standby? That’s utter garbage.

A little funny, if your standard is that low you’ll always defend iOS updates, if you expect 3 hours you’ll never be disappointed. That’s unusable. My iPhone 6s on iOS 13 is better than that, let alone an actually efficient device on an efficient iOS version.

Read the numbers again and read what I mention above regarding battery drain and Wifi before you write comments.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Read the numbers again and read what I mention above regarding battery drain and Wifi before you write comments.
The numbers are those. 13 hours of Standby, 3 hours of SOT. That’s awful, no way to justify it.

I think those Wi-Fi claims are not only dubious, but they aren’t repeatable in real life. Regardless of network specs, nobody ever reported any Wi-Fi network being worse than cellular. Not even public networks. It just doesn’t happen in reality.

Not once have I heard of anyone - nor have I gotten such a result myself - of them getting better battery life on Cellular. It just doesn’t happen, sorry.

I have been close, once. Signal was five bars throughout because I had an antenna next to me, brightness levels and usage was similar (which in my case typically isn’t). Practically perfect conditions. It still wasn’t good enough.

Theoretically it might be possible (Apple has historically claimed 10 hours on iPads and 9 on cellular), but in real-world conditions it just doesn’t happen. Apple tests it in a lab and they still can’t match those 10 hours.

I have repeatedly found through a lot of iPhones on many iOS versions (and many have agreed) that you can expect AT LEAST a 25% drop on normal, real-world Cellular conditions (so varying signal, but never too poor, and never constant five bars either).

Funnily enough, older iPhones were even worse. I used an iPhone 5s on iOS 8, and that thing plummeted on Cellular. It was kind of decent on Wi-Fi, but enable cellular and it was poor.

I did not misread your comment, it was just not a good one.

Last edited:

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Funnily enough, older iPhones wee even worse. I used an iPhone 5s on iOS 8, and that thing plummeted on Cellular. It was kind of decent on Wi-Fi, but enable cellular and it was poor.
I still remember those days, where activating the 3G or the LTE was a guarantee of overheating and battery drain.

Thankfully, modems have improved a lot efficiency-wise, and even my iPhone 8 with the Intel modem didn’t overheat too much under 4G.

Now, with 5G, at least with the Qualcomm modems used on the iPhone SE, the difference between cellular and WiFi usage is even lower, and barely noticeable temperature-wise.

I assume that an iPhone 15 Pro with the latest Qualcomm 5G modern built on 3nm will be really efficient. Although I would disable UW.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Stand by what I’ve said previously in here that 17.5.1 battery life has been the best in the iOS 17 cycle so far. 15 Pro.

Attachments

• IMG_9160.jpeg
    IMG_9160.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: GoldenChild

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
By the way, before I update my SE3 to iOS 17 and forget about my SoT data on iOS 16:

I’ve been getting consistently between 6 and 7h of SoT using only cellular, and between 8 and 9h using only WiFi, with the battery health at 96%.

The per-day graph is not as reliable as the hours I calculate each day, but here it is anyways.

View attachment 2382491
oh wow, so my 13 Pro Max, a huge, heavy phone with a big battery has worse (or the same) battery life on iOS 17 than iPhone SE3, a small and light phone with way smaller battery... after all that time on iOS 17 I feel like they saw that 13 series had the best battery life and decided to nerf it (that's conspiracy theory ofc lol).

Today my phone is connected to wifi only and I'm actually down to 50% with 3h18m SOT, so yeah... and I don't play on that phone, I didn't even open camera app today.

• Sad
Reactions: Populus

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
Do you have an Apple Watch paired with your phone (Apple ID) ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.