Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
Are you not able to transfer them in the iPhones themselves? Under the cellular section in settings? For newer iPhones since they can hold 2 eSIMs you could just send one over and then send the other back, I do this quite a bit

I have done that successfully a bunch of times on ATT but it was not working on the devices in question, even after multiple restarts and a total reset of both.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
What is the issue then?

The eSIM standard is supplied by GSMA, the hardware is implemented by Qualcomm's internal LTE firmware, the interface software by Apple, is deployed all over the world with thousands more carriers than just the US ones. The only thing the carrier does is SIM lock stuff and have a hardware supply agreement with Apple. And there are many places this is a non issue. I can literally hop all over Europe and hit 5-6 different carriers in a couple of days with ZERO ISSUES.

Apart from when I got to the US which is usually a problem (last with my 13 Pro), and it was exactly the same problem when I went recently went to NY with my Pixel 7A.

BUT the carrier does run the LTE network itself. Perhaps there's an issue there, no? The isolating factor is the US, not Apple, not the eSIM. And everyone knows AT&T can't run s**t on a good day...

The issue is consumers pay Apple to resolve these problems. Yes, there are many places where eSIM works. But also many situations where it doesn't.

1 67VnoVW3Oh3DZpRJoEIPPQ.png

If it's a carrier problem, then retain the SIM slot. There was absolutely no reason to delete the SIM tray except for money and control.

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
The issue is consumers pay Apple to resolve these problems. Yes, there are many places where eSIM works. But also many situations where it doesn't.

View attachment 2381392

If it's a carrier problem, then retain the SIM slot. There was absolutely no reason to delete the SIM tray except for money and control.

Nope.

So I am in a foreign airport. Do you expect me to be futzing with finding a hardware SIM and installing it and negotiating a deal or just install an app over airport WiFi and get an eSIM in 5 minutes?

It only doesn’t work in the US because the phone service is crappier than a third world post soviet dystopia… (I’ve been to a couple and getting set up on 400mbit speed 5G is dead easy with an eSIM…).

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I'm lucky in that with vodafone in the UK esim is 1) optional, and 2) if you delete it a minute later an email with a qr code magically appears in your inbox, usually.

Having said that it took 7 calls to their CS and 2.5 days to actually issue the esim.

Reactions: Devyn89

sleeptodream

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2022
I have done that successfully a bunch of times on ATT but it was not working on the devices in question, even after multiple restarts and a total reset of both.
Damn, I had Verizon up until last year and used to do it all the time, only had an issue once and was able to fix it using their website. Good luck! Vzw customer service can really blow

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
That hasn’t been my experience. I used eSIM in Europe recently through the Airalo app and was impressed. Piece of cake. It started at $5 for 1GB. I was using a 13PM, which has the SIM tray, but opted for eSIM for simplicity. There are probably less expensive eSIM options, but I wasn’t interested in researching — I was there to enjoy Europe, not use my phone.

Kierkegaarden

Cancelled
Dec 13, 2018
The situation feels like when Apple introduced MacBooks with only USB-C in 2015. It was obvious the world wasn't ready, but consequences be damned because Apple wanted it to look nice.

eSIM simply gives the carrier and Apple another opportunity to be a gatekeeper. They determine when and if you ought to transfer eSIMs. And anybody who really travels knows physical SIM rates are almost always cheaper globally.

The worst part is, removing the SIM tray has zero benefit for consumers. It saves Apple money but doesn't save any space on the logic board. Apple simply inserted a plastic spacer on U.S. model iPhone 14. For iPhone 15, Apple just spread out the components to take up the extra space.
Have you even used eSIM, or are you just amplifying a negative opinion? I travel, and eSIM prices seemed reasonable to me — what is the difference in cost that you are referencing?

For me, eSIM is more practical — a physical SIM requires travel to a store to pay for it, pulling out the tray, inserting the new one, and then activating it through some sort of process that may have issues. The eSIM process takes seconds. What is more important to you — time or saving a few pennies?

Reactions: KeithBN

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Have you even used eSIM, or are you just amplifying a negative opinion? I travel, and eSIM prices seemed reasonable to me — what is the difference in cost that you are referencing?

For me, eSIM is more practical — a physical SIM requires travel to a store to pay for it, pulling out the tray, inserting the new one, and then activating it through some sort of process that may have issues. The eSIM process takes seconds. What is more important to you — time or saving a few pennies?

I use eSIM right now for my phone when not traveling.

The price for physical SIMs can be up to half off from my experience traveling to Hong Kong. I can pay with local currency, buy it from a vending machine or physical store. No need to give out my credit card info. I can also easily give my physical SIM to my partner so she can use the remaining data. No such convenience with eSIM.

I've never had problems activating a physical SIM. There are benefits to both types of SIM and there was no good reason to delete the tray.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
Yeah, the carriers are lucky I’m not in charge. If it were up to me, carriers wouldn’t be allowed to sell phones at all, neither would they be allowed to do eSIM. A phone customer would go and buy a phone and then shop for the carrier they want.. more power and choice to the customer.
Exactly, why are carriers allowed to sell phones?? Imagine if Netflix was selling TVs and they lock them so you can only watch Netflix. Total stupidity that they get away with because of power they were given.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
I thought it was super strange the US only got eSIM iPhones while every iPhone abroad still has pSIM. Then I realize it was probably done on purpose to further complicate phone switchers and further lock unsuspecting people into the Apple ecosystem. This decision by Apple creates two tiers of iPhone buyers especially on Ebay. I've noticed the cheaper iPhone 14/15's tend to be the US eSIM only models. Which makes it a harder sell on Ebay because Ebay serves most of the world, not the US only. Can you imagine someone in an country where eSIM isn't as attainable ordering an iPhone 14/15 only to realize they can't insert a SIM card in their new iPhone? They would be pissed and blame Apple and if they were an Android user then they'll likely return to their previous device.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Nope.

So I am in a foreign airport. Do you expect me to be futzing with finding a hardware SIM and installing it and negotiating a deal or just install an app over airport WiFi and get an eSIM in 5 minutes?

It only doesn’t work in the US because the phone service is crappier than a third world post soviet dystopia… (I’ve been to a couple and getting set up on 400mbit speed 5G is dead easy with an eSIM…).

I always found this to be a hassle as well, in trying to get connected ASAP upon arrival, in the midst of dealing with luggage, navigating the airport to the transit option, and finding a quiet spot to mess with an eject tool, a tray, and a tiny little card. While in the resulting mental stupor that comes from sitting in a flying bus for hours on end, now in a completely different time zone.

On my last trip, eSIMs became available from the carrier at my destination, so I chose one instead of a physical SIM.

Instead of fiddling with a tiny card, and then hoping you won't lose it during the trip, scanning a QR code and entering a PIN was all it took to get in business with the eSIM. Toggled the appropriate Cellular options in Settings, and done.* Upon return, did the reverse, and done. Easy peasy.

And, on my next trip back, I may still have the option of reloading the eSIM, if it hasn't expired.

* Of course, I still had to futz anyway, since my traveling companion's phone didn't have eSIM capability.

That said, would I still want the option of having a physical SIM, if given the choice? Sure. But the talk of the world ending because of this type of thing is the kind of silly hyperbole that passes for normalcy here on MRF.

jaytv111

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
As an eSIM guy, I get it, eSIM is imperfect, I feel all ye who’s had bad experiences. Mostly it’s the carrier’s doing, but keeping the physical card would fix whatever shortcoming carriers bring.

Apple is forward-facing and they are trying to apply force onto the world. The carriers were deploying eSIM glacially before the 14, then Apple signals the physical SIM isn’t going to be around forever, then bam! Some carriers start working on eSIM support or else they get left behind by Apple customers. And most Apple customers would load an eSIM on their new phone and that’s the end of it until the next iPhone they buy a few years later. Yes there are places where eSIM needs to improve and I hope we see improvements and I think they will come. I can theoretically download eSIMs through the AT&T app on Android or iPhone or I can transfer over Bluetooth to a new iPhone, no cost to transfer, but everyone needs this experience for it to really replace the physical SIM in totality.

I think the “slim” iPhone 17 is where the no SIM card will start to pay off. Space is at a premium in the iPhone and it will get even more premium the thinner they go.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
World traveler here. Been to 100 countries. ESIM is the biggest PITA of all of my travels and people don’t understand thinking okay to pay the ridiculous fees to USA roaming or other. I mean a country like Vietnam costs $10 USD for a three month SIM card at the airport. Cambodia or anywhere in Africa is usually that or less.

USA roaming $10+ per day!!!

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
As an eSIM guy, I get it, eSIM is imperfect, I feel all ye who’s had bad experiences. Mostly it’s the carrier’s doing, but keeping the physical card would fix whatever shortcoming carriers bring.

Apple is forward-facing and they are trying to apply force onto the world. The carriers were deploying eSIM glacially before the 14, then Apple signals the physical SIM isn’t going to be around forever, then bam! Some carriers start working on eSIM support or else they get left behind by Apple customers. And most Apple customers would load an eSIM on their new phone and that’s the end of it until the next iPhone they buy a few years later. Yes there are places where eSIM needs to improve and I hope we see improvements and I think they will come. I can theoretically download eSIMs through the AT&T app on Android or iPhone or I can transfer over Bluetooth to a new iPhone, no cost to transfer, but everyone needs this experience for it to really replace the physical SIM in totality.

I think the “slim” iPhone 17 is where the no SIM card will start to pay off. Space is at a premium in the iPhone and it will get even more premium the thinner they go.
AAPL does this to ensure the carriers make bank. This is only for the carriers and possibly for waterproofing the devices. I didn’t buy cellular on the new iPad Pro due to this. It sucks! I would have gladly paid AAPL an extra $200 for a SIM card tray in my iPhone also.

artifex

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2003
I don't travel much right now, so the biggest plus for me with a physical SIM has been that if my phone dies or I just decide for fun to buy a new unlocked one, I don't have to get anyone's permission to activate it. Cricket will note that I've switched phones on my account next time I look, but they won't try to charge me a fee, unlike if I went into a store and told them I was changing. On the other hand, I think my current SIM is at least 3 swaps old as a result, and may be developing issues of its own due to obsolescence.

The biggest negative to physical SIMs for me is that none of my (cheap, non-Apple) phones have ingress protection ratings at all. I'm not saying they couldn't, because iPhones with physical SIMs do have IP ratings. But it's more expensive to do that. But that's not a feature I really need.

On the other hand, if there was a way to lock an account to an eSIM in such a way that swap fraud is no longer possible, I'd probably use that as an excuse to buy a new device as soon as I could.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
... I don't understand your problem, my iPhone 15 Pro Max has a simcard slot 💁🏼‍♀️
Yeah my iPhone 15plus has SIM card slot as well. I use one of the two eSIMs for my home number and a SIM card to use when I am in Australia. This is a way cheaper than the roaming charges.

ryan102

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2009
Also annoyed by ESIM as it's removed flexibility to be able to switch networks. Here in the UK, it's mainly the big networks who have ESIM but even those seem to hide the QR code or intentionally make it difficult to obtain to get setup. Majority of the time, the smaller providers are cheaper but don't offer ESIM so you're basically stuck overpaying if it wasn't for the fact our models still have a regular SIM tray.

For Travelling, I do agree that ESIM has taken some of the pain away of trying to locate a local sim or understanding a foreign language in order to get hold of one.

At Home: SIM
Travelling: ESIM

Sadly I bought the US model when I was in Hawaii in Sept last year. & regretted my decision soon as I got home. I'm just counting the days down to returning back to the UK model this year.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Just got back from an international trip to New Zealand with my iPhone 14 work phone. Could not get eSim from any local carrier. Their website would say they had eSim, but when I contacted them, they would say “ya that isn’t working right now”.

Got stuck using my home carrier and paid an arm and a leg for their “international travel package”.

eSIM just feels like another way for big business to control you. And since I can’t think of any advantages for me - it just feels incredibly anti-customer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.