Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leifp

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Canada
It's been nothing but a pain in the ass.

I like to switch back and forth between Android and iPhone depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going and I use Spectrum's service. Sometimes it works to let me allow to switch myself online and it's fine. Still a pain in the ass, but fine. But usually lately it says it can't and I have to chat or call, and the chat has been incompetent and wanting to upsell me on stuff.

Another problem is I've been traveling internationally and even though my service works in the other location, it's obviously more expensive for data so I add a local SIM no problem but somehow after adding it I stop getting data on my main service when I get back home so I have to delete the eSIM and call back in and get them to activate it again. It's just a stupidly annoying process.

Sure I could just go all in on Android but I like my iPhone and would like to continue to keep it.
Why don’t you choose to only use the SIM slot? Less convenient in that you need to make sure you don’t lose your main SIM card when travelling, however it solves the problem… until phones no longer supports physical SIM cards, of course… (my Canadian iPhone 15 Pro still does)

• Angry
Reactions: gtjacket123

koil

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2019
On the flip-side, eSIM provides some extra security for you; most people don't put a PIN-code on their SIM-card, and even if they do we've seen several attacks that break PIN-codes of SIM-cards.

This means that someone who wants to use your phone number to gain access to a service that relies on your phone number to authenticate you (too many to count), they can simply eject your SIM-card from your secure and locked phone, pop it in their own device, use it, pop it back, and you're none-the-wiser. Perhaps they turned the phone off first and there won't be any traces (visible to you anyway) that the attack even took place.

With an eSIM this attack isn't really possible, or if it is it requires much greater control over the phone, knowledge of device passcode, and is unlikely to be possible to do without alerting the target to it having happened.

So I like to keep my primary plan as an eSIM for the above reason, and having the SIM-slot free in case I want to use a local card for data only when travelling as you say (however, I find that these days I'm allowed to use my home data plan abroad without any additional fees most of the time).

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
The convenience of eSIMs depends largely on the carriers, Apple have actually done a pretty good job to make the eSIM transfers as smooth as possible.

I have a physical SIM (private French line with Orange) and an eSIM (work line with Swisscom). When I was switching iPhones over three years ago, in order to get the eSIM working after the transfer, I had to go to a Swisscom shop to give me a QR card to scan, which was a real PITA. Last October, however, when I switched iPhones again, my Swiss eSIM transferred nicely between the phones while I was in France. The carriers will get there, sooner or later.

Reactions: skeptech

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Yeah, the carriers are lucky I’m not in charge. If it were up to me, carriers wouldn’t be allowed to sell phones at all, neither would they be allowed to do eSIM. A phone customer would go and buy a phone and then shop for the carrier they want.. more power and choice to the customer.

Customers aren't required to buy phones from a carrier. Taking away the option to do so, as you suggest, would actually be taking away power and choice to the customer.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I like to use an old iPhone 6 when out on the bike or boat, so as not to have to carry the giant brick of the big promax and risk destroying it.
LOL. My phone for stuff like that is an iPhone 6 Plus. I'm comfortable lugging my 'giant brick' around.

Mcrumors David

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2014
It's been nothing but a pain in the ass.

I like to switch back and forth between Android and iPhone depending on what I'm doing or where I'm going and I use Spectrum's service. Sometimes it works to let me allow to switch myself online and it's fine. Still a pain in the ass, but fine. But usually lately it says it can't and I have to chat or call, and the chat has been incompetent and wanting to upsell me on stuff.

Another problem is I've been traveling internationally....

... I don't understand your problem, my iPhone 15 Pro Max has a simcard slot 💁🏼‍♀️

sleeptodream

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2022
I have had nothing but good experiences transferring eSIMs between AT&T devices but am currently in the midst of an incredibly frustrating situation helping my mother transfer eSIMs on Verizon.

I was needing to simply switch the phone numbers between two devices, a task which would have been trivially easy with physical SIMs. Instead I spent 3 hours on chat and support with three different techs who could not figure out the issue. At one point they tried to convince me that I need to get issued two new phone numbers and claimed it was because one of the numbers had recently (3 weeks ago) been ported from a land line. The second supervisor I talked to claimed there are lingering issues with the port that are causing the problem…? Both numbers are 25+ year old lines, one of which has been with VZ since the mid 90s.

I am now tasked with calling their port team but haven‘t yet had two hours to set aside. At the moment one number is still working on the wrong phone and they have the other number forwarding to it. Needless to say it has been very frustrating.

I also hate eSIM.
Are you not able to transfer them in the iPhones themselves? Under the cellular section in settings? For newer iPhones since they can hold 2 eSIMs you could just send one over and then send the other back, I do this quite a bit

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Same, but on my iPad. I traded in my tablet before I got the new one (long story) so I could not directly transfer my eSIM. AT&T would not allow me to just download another one, and they also would not set me up over the phone. I had to walk into a physical AT&T store and pay a service fee to get my tablet set up on the plan I was already paying for.

I genuinely believe eSIM was set up by the carriers (in coordination with Apple!) to clamp down on consumers. Not to mention it's not possible to neatly transfer the eSIM to an Android device - you have to go through your carrier for that.

primarycolors

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2015
CA
eSIM is a nightmare. Last year I wanted to return my 14 Pro and revert to my 11 Pro, only to find out my carrier (Xfinity Mobile) wouldn't let me. They didn't yet support eSIM on older devices and had no system in place to revert a line to physical SIM after it was upgraded to eSIM.

Several in-store visits and hour-long phone calls ended nowhere, trying to achieve something that would normally be as easy as swapping a card. I had to keep the 14 Pro even though I didn't like it.

Last edited:

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
This isn't related to Apple. It's your providers in the US.

I regularly go across border between UK (Giffgaff) and EU (Go Mobile) and with a SIM and eSIM and have none of these problems at all. That has been the case with my old 13 Pro and current 15 Pro.

But going to the US, straight into trouble.

Reactions: kitKAC and skeptech

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Switching between eSims can be easy- as well as installing new ones, deleting old ones, getting new ones. The problem is not Apple (when it comes to eSims). Some providers in Europe are App-only, so you install eSims with one click. Some are QR Code only, some even send letters with QR Codes. I think if the providers would offer a better experience, it would be easier to adopt.

I'm travelling frequently worldwide and use eSim and Plastic Sim a lot- my main Sim is a platic one weil all others are usually eSims. Works great most of the time. But to be honest, the decision to switch to an eSim only phone by Apple wasn't the best one. I really don't get why they made up different markets when it comes to this topic.

By the way: I was thinking about getting an iPhone with a double Sim Slot in Hongkong. It would work fine everywhere, Apple Care could be a problem but the biggest concern was: getting through European Customs, as the price is higher than the allowance.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Well, my provider made it easy: you NEED to use a sim first and then port that sim in your device into an eSIM. New phone? New sim! So that’s 3 workdays in the mail. So iPhone lost, stolen, damaged? Apple care + provides a new one within 24 hours usually. But the sim takes a bit longer.
Then came my new iPad Pro 11” M4 without sim tray…. Eeehrm, problem. Come to the shop, we might fix it. Shop: what idiot said that, we have no clue! So another shop with a technician that new his stuff…
it took serious time, they used a brand new iPhone to register the eSIM, side-loaded a proprietary app on both and transferred the eSIM. Turns out their systems aren’t up to date and it will take a few weeks this before this is released… took me two days in all to get an eSIM on my iPad Pro 11” M4 😭

Dual sim is really convenient, combined eSIM/physical sim can be nice. But the providers need to keep their systems up to date.

Reactions: Shirasaki

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
eSIM simply gives the carrier and Apple another opportunity to be a gatekeeper.
/end thread

And you know the most egregious part? Apple still sells the exact same iPhones, but WITH a SIM tray, outside of the US market.

I recently traveled out of the country with a Google Pixel 8. I downloaded a data-only eSIM prior to getting there. A week or two into the trip, I ran into a desperate situation where I had to get a local SIM card with a Japanese number to contact someone in the country. SIMs with a Japanese number can be acquired in-country, and they are physical only. Thank goodness I was using a Google Pixel and NOT an iPhone or I would have been up the creek. Just typing this wants to make me switch back to the Pixel right now because it reminds me how absurd this is.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
This isn't related to Apple. It's your providers in the US.

I regularly go across border between UK (Giffgaff) and EU (Go Mobile) and with a SIM and eSIM and have none of these problems at all. That has been the case with my old 13 Pro and current 15 Pro.

But going to the US, straight into trouble.

It's as much an Apple problem as it is with carriers. This is like "you're holding it wrong" back in 2010.

Apple has a very close relationship with carriers. They knew exactly what the experience would be when they launched iPhone 14. Yet, they chose to go ahead and remove the SIM tray. What happened to "it just works"?

Apple needs to work with carriers. If carriers aren't up to it, then don't delete the SIM tray. It would be different if Apple could say, we offer carrier services, but they don't. Apple needs to work in the real world.

Last edited:

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
It's as much an Apple problem as it is with carriers. This is like "you're holding it wrong" back in 2010.

Apple has a very close relationship with carriers. They knew exactly what the experience would be when they launched iPhone 14. Yet, they chose to go ahead and remove the SIM tray.

I think that needs some evidence to back it up. You have to start with a null hypothesis and build one on top of it. You're basically just spurting your opinion which I can disprove with a data point saying that it isn't always the case.

You've decided Apple are the bad guys and will change whatever is said to support that.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I think that needs some evidence to back it up. You have to start with a null hypothesis and build one on top of it. You're basically just spurting your opinion which I can disprove with a data point saying that it isn't always the case.

You've decided Apple are the bad guys and will change whatever is said to support that.

What evidence? That Apple has a close relationship with carriers? Do you think carriers are just selling grey market iPhones without support from Apple?

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
eSIM is one of many ways Tim Crook likes to save money on manufacturing in order to maximize profits.

For work-related reasons, I will need to upgrade my phone to a phone with the latest A17 processor. I also have to travel in the next few years for work and use local SIM cards overseas. I'm in the U.S., so I'll have to find some way to get an official SIM-free iPhone from an Apple Store in Canada (without traveling there) and have it shipped to the U.S. (All iPhones officially sold in Canada still have SIM card slots.) This is a hassle, and would've never happened if Cook wasn't so greedy.

Last edited:

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
What evidence? That Apple has a close relationship with carriers? Do you think carriers are just selling grey market iPhones without support from Apple?

What is the issue then?

The eSIM standard is supplied by GSMA, the hardware is implemented by Qualcomm's internal LTE firmware, the interface software by Apple, is deployed all over the world with thousands more carriers than just the US ones. The only thing the carrier does is SIM lock stuff and have a hardware supply agreement with Apple. And there are many places this is a non issue. I can literally hop all over Europe and hit 5-6 different carriers in a couple of days with ZERO ISSUES.

Apart from when I got to the US which is usually a problem (last with my 13 Pro), and it was exactly the same problem when I went recently went to NY with my Pixel 7A.

BUT the carrier does run the LTE network itself. Perhaps there's an issue there, no? The isolating factor is the US, not Apple, not the eSIM. And everyone knows AT&T can't run s**t on a good day...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.