Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Ceiling fans are great. They don’t replace AC but they give much more flexibility allowing to keep the room temp a bit higher and more comfortable, to save money of course. 🤔
I’m sure, but we only have hot summers at times, then we have spring, fall and winters as well here.
So I mostly need devices for at least 2 seasons - the hot and the cold.
I’m good now I think. Ceiling fans are too much for my needs here and now, but thanks for your ideas, they might come to pass in another living space, who knows?

Reactions: Huntn and brucemr

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Heat records reported by CNN:

Altoona, Pennsylvania: 92 degrees, tying the 1994 record of 92 degrees

Bradford, Pennsylvania: 90 degrees, beating the 1993 record of 87 degrees by 3 degrees

Dubois, Pennsylvania: 92 degrees, beating the 2018 record of 89 degrees by 3 degrees

Elkins, West Virginia: 92 degrees, beating the 1994 record of 91 degrees by 1 degree

Manchester, New Hampshire: 97 degrees, beating the 1967 record of 94 degrees by 3 degrees

Mansfield, Ohio: 93 degrees, tying the 1994 record of 93 degrees

Scranton, Pennsylvania: 94 degrees, beating the 2018 record of 93 degrees by 1 degree​

And it's not even summer yet!

Reactions: T'hain Esh Kelch

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Altoona!! Those poor Mallo Cups will melt. Hopefully, the chocolate-covered pretzels will survive.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
More U.S. heat records reached or broken:

Albany, New York: 94 degrees, tying the 1995 record

Bangor, Maine: 95 degrees, tying the 1995 record

Boston, Massachusetts: 98 degrees, beating the 1923 record of 96 degrees

Buffalo, New York: 90 degrees, tying the 2001 record

Caribou, Maine: 96 degrees, tying the 2020 record

Cleveland, Ohio: 92 degrees, tying the 1995 record

Hartford, Connecticut: 97 degrees, beating the 1995 record of 95

Manchester, New Hampshire: 98 degrees, beating the 1941 record of 96 degrees

Syracuse, New York: 95 degrees, tying the 1995 record​

Only around 3% of the people in Manchester NH were alive when the previous record was set.

Although people talk about "frying eggs on the sidewalk," you can't really accomplish that unless the street is asphalt (not concrete), you use a skillet, and the air temperature is at least 115.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
12 degrees north

Fermont, Quebec reached a record 91 degrees last Wednesday. That beat the record from 32 years earlier (1992) of 79 degrees.

Miscou Island, New Brunswick reached a record 93 degrees. That beat the record from 18 years earlier (2006) of 81 degrees.

Both were 12 degrees (Fahrenheit) higher than the previous record! In Celsius they were 7 degrees higher.

Other Canadian cities set records by almost as much.

Meanwhile, Washington, DC and Baltimore, Maryland set records with 100+ degree heat yesterday. If you live in that area, I hope you don't melt!

Reactions: Clix Pix

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
Although people talk about "frying eggs on the sidewalk," you can't really accomplish that unless the street is asphalt (not concrete), you use a skillet, and the air temperature is at least 115.
There was a summer in Palmdale CA where I tried to cook an egg on the asphalt. The temperature was hot enough but the problem I had was the air and asphalt were very very dry. I broke the egg and put it directly on the asphalt. As I watched, over a course of a minute it completely dehydrated, it crumbled into powder when I tried to flip it.

Yes, you need either a pan or to prepare the asphalt with some vegetable oil first.

• Haha
Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
There was a summer in Palmdale CA where I tried to cook an egg on the asphalt. The temperature was hot enough but the problem I had was the air and asphalt were very very dry. I broke the egg and put it directly on the asphalt. As I watched, over a course of a minute it completely dehydrated, it crumbled into powder when I tried to flip it.

Yes, you need either a pan or to prepare the asphalt with some vegetable oil first.
Palmdale is like that. Here today, we didn't have any fried eggs but a few fried people.

We had thunderstorms for a few minutes, even as it was 102 degrees F. It's pleasant now, though, since it's dark.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I like to walk to local stores when I can, but after a few steps the other day I realized that I'd be soaked in sweat after walking only a few blocks, even though I'm not in the hottest part of the country. So I drove to the store and back instead. Normally I'd call that laziness, but in this case it was necessary.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
It has been freaking toasty here in Sunny Southern California. While the temps have been hitting the mid 90's the humidity has been something else. Keep in mind, we have had humidity in past, but it never fails to hit hard when you are not used to it...

Reactions: Macky-Mac

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
In Northern California, it was 101 degrees F again today, without thunderstorms. I walked to Popeyes and the stores and back home for 3.5 miles total.

They've opened some cooling centers in the county, but not in town, as far as I've seen, and have free bus rides to them elsewhere.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Slight break in the heat here in Los Angeles, but temperatures predicted to soar over the weekend.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
12 degrees north

Fermont, Quebec reached a record 91 degrees last Wednesday. That beat the record from 32 years earlier (1992) of 79 degrees.

Miscou Island, New Brunswick reached a record 93 degrees. That beat the record from 18 years earlier (2006) of 81 degrees.

Both were 12 degrees (Fahrenheit) higher than the previous record! In Celsius they were 7 degrees higher.

Other Canadian cities set records by almost as much.

Meanwhile, Washington, DC and Baltimore, Maryland set records with 100+ degree heat yesterday. If you live in that area, I hope you don't melt!
Haven't melted yet but, yes, it is HOT here in Washington, DC and surrounding close-in suburbs!!! And the humidity only makes matters worse so that it feels far hotter than the thermometer suggests. The combo of heat AND humidity: well, in a word -- whew!!..... Thank goodness for A/C!

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Finally got some rain. First good rain since March.

Of course that upped the humidity level to the 40's. After coming from it being in the upper 70's and lower 80's, I'll take 40.

I am getting used to the heat being over 100. Seems like around 105 is the hot/not hot line.

Reactions: bousozoku

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It's only 102 degrees F/39 degrees C right now but it's going to be about 10% more than that today and the rest of this week.

Supposedly, they had the forecast that it would be 118 degrees F or just under 50 degrees C.

After living in the Orlando, Florida area, that isn't so scary but the sun's intensity will burn someone this week.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Today is the last day of under 100 temps for the rest of the extended forecast period. It is 99. :)

We are looking at hitting 112 next Tuesday. Phoenix on the other hand won't have highs below 110 for the same period.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
California's Death Valley hits annual highs in July, often reaching 128 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last year's high of 128 degrees was on July 16. You have 2 weeks to place your bets on this year's July 16 temperature.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Lot of rain this far this summer, and around 15 -20˚C / 60-70˚F
It's ok this far as it have been a lot of rain the 'right' days and fairly good but mild weather the other days when I needed it.
Can only hope it will be a mild winter too, as it was last one. 🤞🏼

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
A hot weekend out west, with new records for July 5 or July 6:

Kingman, Arizona - 109 degrees (a new record)
Las Vegas, Nevada - 115 degrees (tying the record)
Redding, California - 119 degrees (a new record)
Death Valley, California - 128 degrees (a new record)

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Guess I shouldn't complain about our temps being in the 90's, then......

Go right ahead. IIIRC, you are in the DC area so you have humidity. Whoever devised the "heat index" or "real feel" needs to go back and do it over.

I will take 115 with 15% humidity any day over 85 and 70%. I can get into the shade and get much cooler. You can't get away from the humidity. They always say to turn your A/C down when you leave the house to save energy. If we had done that in WV when it was 95/80%, we wouldn't have been able to get the house cool enough to sleep.

Out here, we set it up to 78 when we leave, and even on a 110 degree day, come home and turn it on, it has the house back to 70 or so in less than an hour.

We are at a similar elevation as Kingman and we are supposed to hit 112 two days this week.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Yes, it is definitely the humidity far more than the heat which is a real stressor (at least for me) this time of year! DC is definitely rather swampy during a lot of the summer! I absolutely HATE how the humidity affects the air temperature to the point where it can become nearly unbearable.

Reactions: Herdfan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.