Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Abiyork

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
To be honest in my opinion It looks much better than Apple watch.

Totally agree, really nice but of kit and Garmin’s first watch which is more a ‘smart watch with fitness features’ rather than the other way around.

I find the way the notifications stack up much nicer too.

I’ve had an Apple Watch for 10 years so it felt strange at first.

No looking back now.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
The A9+ has a screen resolution of 206 ppi. It’s VERY low res. That’s likely why it was giving you eyestrain.

The label “HD” only means it can display 1920 pixel content- and it can do that because it’s such a big screen.
Oké thanks for the explanation. Can you recommend a good tablet with a better screen for people like us?

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Please stop, use an old Nokia phone if you have to, your health is too important.

I have a lifelong condition from this. I take 8 tablets a day and still have pain all day everyday.

I would go back to pigeon post if it meant i was pain free again.

That's horrible, I'm so sorry you have to deal with that :( I switched back to my SE last night and I feel better already. Aside from the neuro symptoms I've had rapid onset presbyopia too, a year ago I could see just fine but now I need +1.75 glasses to see anything up close. Maybe I'm old, maybe it's OLED, either way I'm not gonna take chances anymore.

No phone is worth your health. If Apple doesn't quit being so stubborn on eye health I have no problem switching.

Reactions: Abiyork

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
He sounds like he knows what he is talking about. Very good info, and that is in-line with my experience. (Except for EBR having thicker bezel... EBR looked the same as the NCC Prime to my eye.)

The issue is that manufacturers consider OLED (and NCC Prime, in this example) as better displays, but if they use PWM, they are useless, in my opinion.

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
Did you measure your EBS panel on PWM ? Or did you continue using it to judge by yourself ?
I only tested an NCC Prime and EBR panel. The EBR panel read 30,000+ Hz PWM on my Opple, but Opple can only go so high, so it's possible and likely that no PWM is used at all. If I were to do it again, I'd buy an EBS panel from Elekworld and give that a shot. Are you still liking your 14?

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I only tested an NCC Prime and EBR panel. The EBR panel read 30,000+ Hz PWM on my Opple, but Opple can only go so high, so it's possible and likely that no PWM is used at all. If I were to do it again, I'd buy an EBS panel from Elekworld and give that a shot. Are you still liking your 14?
Yes but it’s not eye pain free. I am on the edge and limiting my usage.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
Do you have an old reference iPhone that doesn’t cause any eyestrain problems? A golden candle to use as a reference?

(Like an iPhone 6S Plus)
I am using 11 but i also feel it’s not perfect like the old days. For me every eye irritation started with iPhone XS….. i mean even with X I didn’t notice anything major. I also had eye dryness with se 3 which is very very weird.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I am using 11 but i also feel it’s not perfect like the old days. For me every eye irritation started with iPhone XS….. i mean even with X I didn’t notice anything major. I also had eye dryness with se 3 which is very very weird.
I really think that everyone who experiences eye issues and headache etc when using a newer iPhone HAS to get a used iPhone 6S Plus to use as a gold standard reference - For comparison. They’re really cheap nowadays. They have the “best” screen that an iPhone ever had as far as health effects.
This phone isn’t to use all the time if you don’t want, but it can be a comparison iPhone. The best screen there ever was.

If a person still experiences some eyestrain/nervous system problems with a 6S Plus, then the problem runs deeper. No newer iPhone will work.

Some people are complaining about eyestrain and “PWM” with OLED iPhones (not you in particular) but it may be that all iPhones nail them, all the way back to the iPhone 4.

Reactions: DJTaurus

Knightayres1

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2021
Has anyone here had PWM cause dizziness to the point of fainting(or almost)? I've been using my 15 again since the end of May, and for the past couple weeks I've been having these spells where I randomly feel super dizzy. A couple times I've had to brace myself to keep from collapsing. I have never fainted or even come close before, kinda scary and nothing in my life has changed aside from switching from my SE to my 15. I've either developed a whole new level of sensitivity or I've got a tumor lol. I have a neuro appt in august but just curious if anyone else has had anything like this from their phone or if I'm just connecting dots that aren't there.
Yes. I bought a 13 mini and all of a sudden I got so dizzy the room started spinning almost like having a seizure it was strange. Started shaking also. Quit using that device and hasn’t happened again. Now I have the se2022 but I get strain with it. Funny thing is my original se never caused any issues. I also have a pixel 7a with no eye problems either. So I don’t know what’s up with apple devices but something is

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Has anyone here had PWM cause dizziness to the point of fainting(or almost)? I've been using my 15 again since the end of May, and for the past couple weeks I've been having these spells where I randomly feel super dizzy. A couple times I've had to brace myself to keep from collapsing. I have never fainted or even come close before, kinda scary and nothing in my life has changed aside from switching from my SE to my 15. I've either developed a whole new level of sensitivity or I've got a tumor lol. I have a neuro appt in august but just curious if anyone else has had anything like this from their phone or if I'm just connecting dots that aren't there.
There was a member here that used to contribute regularly to this thread who experienced a seizure while using a new iPhone 15.
That’s not to say that everyone will of course, but it’s a reminder to be aware of these phones. Most people aren’t bothered by them while a few get really nailed.
Use with caution. You are staring into a high frequency strobe light after all

2mw2

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
I bought a Radex Lupin meter sometime back (from some website) without ever looking at the original manufacturer. Got round to being a bit more serious about it and found them and it includes the Windows software

https://www.quarta-rad.ru/en/catalog/luxmetr/luxmetr-pulsmetr-yarkomer-radex-lupin/

LAMP QUALITY CONTROL.​

Ripple lamp – the invisible enemy to health. According to the requirements of regulatory documents, the ripple coefficient of lamps should be less than 5%. If you check the lamps were found ripple more than 5%, then it is desirable to replace the lamp.

My kitchen down lights and hallway lights in my apt are at 12% - not great for me so I will be replacing them as soon as I can. The Philips Hue lights around the apartment

My iPhone 13 mini on iOS 17.5.1 is just above 5% with auto brightness off, brightness at 100%, Zoom mode on, zoom mode invert, classic invert mode on. Still very bright - with the settings it looks like reduce white point doesn't seem to make much difference to the brightness. I haven't tried iOS 18 yet but will have a go tonight.

(Reduce White Point will increase the flicker - having it at 30-40% is a good compromise between an increase in flicker vs reduced brightness. Maybe useable for some of us).

Last edited:

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Apparently I’m a glutton for punishment because I tried using my 15 again today. Been back on my SE for about a week and haven’t felt near-faint, dizzy, blurry eyed, etc at all but after a couple hours today on the 15 my eyes are blurry and I’ve got that pinchy pre-headache feeling in my forehead again. Sigh… just wanted to test in case I was imagining it, which it’s pretty clear now that I’m not. Dang it. I guess I’ll just put the 15 away for now until I can afford to put an LCD on it.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
Today i wrote an e-mail to the European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and to the European commissioner for health. The European Union is powerful and in the past made decisions in favor of its people against large powerful technological companies. Such as recently with Apple and USB-C. I have noticed that companies such as Samsung, LG and Apple use more flickering methods instead of less. This is to the detriment of our health. In the past I have already sent a few emails to Tim Cook and other people from Apple. Maybe it has made a difference, but we need to make our voices heard. If these companies don't want to listen, they will probably listen to the European Union. I hope this works. If i receive a reply i will let you guys know.

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
I have the following displays (unopened boxes) from my testing:
  • 1 iPhone 15 Elekworld EBR
  • 1 iPhone 14 Elekworld EBR
  • 1 iPhone 14 Elekworld EBR
  • 1 iPhone 14 NCC Prime
I'm willing to gift/send these to anyone (in the continental United States) if you want to attempt to replace your OLED screen. No promises, no warranty, etc. You assume all risk of replacing your display. I'll send one per person. (There are 4 displays total.)

I tested one iPhone 15 Elekworld EBR and one iPhone 15 NCC Prime. The NCC Prime one had PWM, but I'm not sure if the iPhone 14 version does. The EBR one did not have PWM.

Send me a message directly if you'd like one of them (free).

Last edited:

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

CocoPlops999

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2021
I know it’s probably not the case but has anyone taken a punt to try iOS 18 dev beta? Tempted to stick it on my iPhone 11 as IOS 17 messed it up for me. The 13 I’m using it usable in small doses 🥲

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I have unfortunately moved into to the I'll believe it when I see it mode. I have hope for the 16 but it's very slight... Now my motto is SHOW ME!!

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
I know it’s probably not the case but has anyone taken a punt to try iOS 18 dev beta? Tempted to stick it on my iPhone 11 as IOS 17 messed it up for me. The 13 I’m using it usable in small doses 🥲
I have it on my SE. I haven't noticed any issues aside from slightly increased battery usage and a few hangs here and there.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002

Even if iOS 18 seems to play nicer with the 11 display, it’s such an early beta with lots of rough edges, that it wouldn’t be worth it - in my opinion.
The aggravation of using a beta would be more painful than using iOS 17 on iPhone 11.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
Today i wrote an e-mail to the European Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and to the European commissioner for health. The European Union is powerful and in the past made decisions in favor of its people against large powerful technological companies. Such as recently with Apple and USB-C. I have noticed that companies such as Samsung, LG and Apple use more flickering methods instead of less. This is to the detriment of our health. In the past I have already sent a few emails to Tim Cook and other people from Apple. Maybe it has made a difference, but we need to make our voices heard. If these companies don't want to listen, they will probably listen to the European Union. I hope this works. If i receive a reply i will let you guys know.
Today they gave a reply which is nice. I hope they also really do someting about it.

Attachments

• IMG_8990.jpeg
    IMG_8990.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.