Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
No, I mean the upcoming S25. If there is any display change/tweak - this will be the display Samsung supplies for the iPhone 16. BOE being in the mix just creates a screen lottery, which ever you get it will have crappy PWM and Apple ain't introducing DC dimming.

Also if the measurements you are quoting come from notebookcheck = they are not reliable or consistent.
No I don’t use notebook check. I use platforms like here and Reddit for the frequency’s of the mentioned phones.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
That’s what I’ve been thinking — newer iOS LCDs are tainted too because of dithering which is a different form of flickering. There’s no escape from this stuff.

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
I tried the Elekworld EBS screen today. My Opple Light Master Pro light meter says it was "low risk" at all brightness levels.

At >50%, it returned a flicker index of 0.0116, 5.34% modulation depth, and Opple measured 30,118Hz PWM frequency, but the accuracy of that is unknown once the frequency gets that high. At 10% brightness, it still said it was "no risk" (which is ideal), but flicker index went to .0723, 29% modulation depth, and the PWM frequency said 30,000Hz. Long story short, I do not believe PWM is actually in use on this EBS Incell screen. If it is, it is very high frequency and should be OK for PWM sensitive consumers.

Why didn't I ultimately keep iPhone 15 with the EBS Incell display? The tradeoffs were a little much for me. The color accuracy was a little bit off (on par with Android phones), the slightly raised display, and most importantly the heat generation and power consumption.

I do think this would be a viable option in the future when iPhone SE3 and iPhone 11 are no longer supported. So that's good. But there are tradeoffs. I would NOT recommend the NCC Prime display because that very likely used PWM at 480Hz.

Here's hoping major improvements with iPhone 16.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m no longer convinced that the screen manufacturers are to blame for this mayhem. I believe the root rot is built into the GPU and iOS.

Last edited:

esaelias187

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
I tried the Elekworld EBS screen today. My Opple Light Master Pro light meter says it was "low risk" at all brightness levels.

At >50%, it returned a flicker index of 0.0116, 5.34% modulation depth, and Opple measured 30,118Hz PWM frequency, but the accuracy of that is unknown once the frequency gets that high. At 10% brightness, it still said it was "no risk" (which is ideal), but flicker index went to .0723, 29% modulation depth, and the PWM frequency said 30,000Hz. Long story short, I do not believe PWM is actually in use on this EBS Incell screen. If it is, it is very high frequency and should be OK for PWM sensitive consumers.

Why didn't I ultimately keep iPhone 15 with the EBS Incell display? The tradeoffs were a little much for me. The color accuracy was a little bit off (on par with Android phones), the slightly raised display, and most importantly the heat generation and power consumption.

I do think this would be a viable option in the future when iPhone SE3 and iPhone 11 are no longer supported. So that's good. But there are tradeoffs. I would NOT recommend the NCC Prime display because that very likely used PWM at 480Hz.

there's an EBS and EBR right?

so out of the EBS and NCC - you said the EBS may not have pam?

can you show a pic of the raised edges

what are the actual bezels like

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
there's an EBS and EBR right?

so out of the EBS and NCC - you said the EBS may not have pam?

can you show a pic of the raised edges

what are the actual bezels like
There are many different kinds, but I was researching EBR, EBS, and NCC Prime.

EBR did not use PWM, or if it did, it was extremely high frequency. I don't have equipment to be 100% certain.

I no longer have the screen installed, but if you imagine an Apple Silicone Case, it was just flush with the protruding edge of that, maybe even a little bit under.

The bezels looked the same thickness. That was very nice to see.

Ac1d 8urn

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2020
Wisconsin
Has anyone here had PWM cause dizziness to the point of fainting(or almost)? I've been using my 15 again since the end of May, and for the past couple weeks I've been having these spells where I randomly feel super dizzy. A couple times I've had to brace myself to keep from collapsing. I have never fainted or even come close before, kinda scary and nothing in my life has changed aside from switching from my SE to my 15. I've either developed a whole new level of sensitivity or I've got a tumor lol. I have a neuro appt in august but just curious if anyone else has had anything like this from their phone or if I'm just connecting dots that aren't there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leindt

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012

1)So you measured NCC too and confirmed the PWM?
2)Out of the two you normally used couple of hours did you felt one or another more comfortable?

kerplunknet

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2006
Has anyone here had PWM cause dizziness to the point of fainting(or almost)? I've been using my 15 again since the end of May, and for the past couple weeks I've been having these spells where I randomly feel super dizzy. A couple times I've had to brace myself to keep from collapsing. I have never fainted or even come close before, kinda scary and nothing in my life has changed aside from switching from my SE to my 15. I've either developed a whole new level of sensitivity or I've got a tumor lol. I have a neuro appt in august but just curious if anyone else has had anything like this from their phone or if I'm just connecting dots that aren't there.
Dude! It's not worth it! Take care of yourself

1)So you measured NCC too and confirmed the PWM?
2)Out of the two you normally used couple of hours did you felt one or another more comfortable?
NCC Prime definitely uses PWM... the readings at all brightness levels were anywhere from 480 to 600 Hz. Opple said it was "Low Risk" unlike the OLEDs which are "High Risk."

Neither gave me the issues that OLED iPhone displays do. I could have comfortably used both the NCC Prime or the EBR. If I were to keep one, I definitely would go with the EBR because I'm pretty sure it doesn't use PWM (or maybe it does below a certain brightness level but at an INSANELY high frequency).

Leindt

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2022
It happened to me recently. I bought a week ago the Xiaomi Pad S6 Pro 12.4 , which is a 3K IPS panel, not OLED.

It has no flickering, with the Opple Light-master the measurements are healthy, but for some reason after about 20-30 minutes looking at the screen I started to get dizzy, wanted to vomit and had to lie down on the bed because I was going to faint.

The funny thing is that I had a matte and anti glare glass on, so that didn't solve anything. But I changed the screen refresh rate to 144hz, the colour mode to sRGB, turned on the blue light filter constantly and added texture, lowered the contrast, and I've been tweaking the font size and other stuff, and now I don't get dizzy, my eyes don't hurt or anything.

So I don't understand anything anymore, I don't know if the problem was the colour mode, the hz, or what.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
It happened to me recently. I bought a week ago the Xiaomi Pad S6 Pro 12.4 , which is a 3K IPS panel, not OLED.

It has no flickering, with the Opple Light-master the measurements are healthy, but for some reason after about 20-30 minutes looking at the screen I started to get dizzy, wanted to vomit and had to lie down on the bed because I was going to faint.

The funny thing is that I had a matte and anti glare glass on, so that didn't solve anything. But I changed the screen refresh rate to 144hz, the colour mode to sRGB, turned on the blue light filter constantly and added texture, lowered the contrast, and I've been tweaking the font size and other stuff, and now I don't get dizzy, my eyes don't hurt or anything.

So I don't understand anything anymore, I don't know if the problem was the colour mode, the hz, or what.
I bought the Samsung tablet A9+. It has a LCD screen and it has no PWM. But still I got eye strain. So I decided to sell it. I really don't understand why my eyes got tired from watching content on this screen.

Reactions: Leindt

Leindt

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2022
I bought the Samsung tablet A9+. It has a LCD screen and it has no PWM. But still I got eye strain. So I decided to sell it. I really don't understand why my eyes got tired from watching content on this screen.
I have that tablet too, and I can't look at it, it's LCD, but it gives me incredible eye pain, it's like I can't even concentrate on what's on that screen.

Abiyork

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012

Please stop, use an old Nokia phone if you have to, your health is too important.

I have a lifelong condition from this. I take 8 tablets a day and still have pain all day everyday.

I would go back to pigeon post if it meant i was pain free again.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
I have that tablet too, and I can't look at it, it's LCD, but it gives me incredible eye pain, it's like I can't even concentrate on what's on that screen.
I also bought an ultrawide monitor from Samsung. They advertised it as flicker free. I got headache and tired eyes from it. Guess it wasn't so flicker free after all. I decided never to trust samsung again. I won't buy anything from them again. It's sucks to be us right now. Big companys don't give a damn about us. Ps. I have an oled tv from LG, iPhone 11, monitor from Xiaomi and HP and surface laptop from Microsoft. No problem with these devices.

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
I also bought an ultrawide monitor from Samsung. They advertised it as flicker free. I got headache and tired eyes from it. Guess it wasn't so flicker free after all. I decided never to trust samsung again. I won't buy anything from them again. It's sucks to be us right now. Big companys don't give a damn about us. Ps. I have an oled tv from LG, iPhone 11, monitor from Xiaomi and HP and surface laptop from Microsoft. No problem with these devices.

Abiyork

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I would love a new Apple watch but the IOS it arrives preloaded with wont sync with my IOS16 iPhone11.

So I have jumped ship to Garmin. Smart watch and good for tracking exercises too.

I feel my Apple fanboy status slowly breaking apart.

So I am 6 days into my new Garmin watch.

Notifications are good, I can use Siri, it actually looks nicer on the wrist and the clockface app is great for completely customising it.

I have done 3 swims, 2 x 5k runs, 2 rounds of golf and slept in it every night to test out the sleep tracker.

I still have 58% battery left 🤯

I think we become blinded by the Apple gear we've been 'locked' into. I wouldn't go back now even if my iPhone versions would allow it.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK

Notifications are good, I can use Siri, it actually looks nicer on the wrist and the clockface app is great for completely customising it.

I have done 3 swims, 2 x 5k runs, 2 rounds of golf and slept in it every night to test out the sleep tracker.

I think we become blinded by the Apple gear we've been 'locked' into. I wouldn't go back now even if my iPhone versions would allow it.
Great news, any pics on wrist?

Now for the iPhone switch which, if imagine my situation, would be very hard initially.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012

Which model ?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Eyestrain (not necessarily dizziness or nausea) can be caused by a low resolution screen that has no flickering.
Example in point, the iPad 2 (really old) had a resolution of 1024x768 with zero flicker and that screen gave me really bad eyestrain FROM ITS BLURRY LOW RES SCREEN

Heman87

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
Eyestrain (not necessarily dizziness or nausea) can be caused by a low resolution screen that has no flickering.
Example in point, the iPad 2 (really old) had a resolution of 1024x768 with zero flicker and that screen gave me really bad eyestrain FROM ITS BLURRY LOW RES SCREEN
But my iPhone 11 has also a low resolution. It doesn't give me eyes train. And the Samsung A9+ will full HD did.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
But my iPhone 11 has also a low resolution. It doesn't give me eyes train. And the Samsung A9+ will full HD did.
The A9+ has a screen resolution of 206 ppi. It’s VERY low res. That’s likely why it was giving you eyestrain.

The label “HD” only means it can display 1920 pixel content- and it can do that because it’s such a big screen.

Reactions: Heman87
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.