Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is private property tho that have full ownership and say who and what gets sold within its premises.
A mall still is an area dedicated to the sale of physical goods where there is no proprietary intellectual property within.
And you have used this analogy beforehand in earlier conversations.
I believe I used Costco as an example where they sell their own brand along. Government did not come along and force Costco to accept Sam’s club brands. Additionally government didn’t legislate that Sam’s club can sell their brands and not pay Costco any fees.

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I believe I used Costco as an example where they sell their own brand along. Government did not come along and force Costco to accept Sam’s club brands. Additionally government didn’t legislate that Sam’s club can sell their brands and not pay Costco any fees.
Retail analogies are just useless in this case. The retail world is completely different from the distribution of digital goods because of DRM and similar technologies. There is absolutely no need to tell Costco what they can sell. If Costco had too much market power, antitrust authorities would simply force Costco to divest from some of their shops. This happens with some regularity in the EU. Usually when one competitor wants to buy another company in the same sector. Authorities can then examine the market for dominance and either block the merger or mandate the sale of some location to a competitor.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Retail analogies are just useless in this case. The retail world is completely different from the distribution of digital goods because of DRM and similar technologies. There is absolutely no need to tell Costco what they can sell. If Costco had too much market power, antitrust authorities would simply force Costco to divest from some of their shops. This happens with some regularity in the EU. Usually when one competitor wants to buy another company in the same sector. Authorities can then examine the market for dominance and either block the merger or mandate the sale of some location to a competitor.
Well I agree this legislation is so bad it defies an analogy.

Reactions: icanhazmac

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
To that are you saying the government has never introduced bad legislation?
No legislation is perfect. But it can be adapted over time. I think the problem it tries to address is real. Also, free markets don't always function well, under every circumstance.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Regulated markets, such as the ones now introduced don’t function well either and they function worse than free markets.
It’s infinitely better than the previous system.

This is indefensible for a company that values privacy.
A mall still is an area dedicated to the sale of physical goods where there is no proprietary intellectual property within.

Sigh, but that’s exactly how the DMA works now. And how the retail world works as well.

Costco can sell whatever they want and refuse to sell whatever they want. But the brands that sell their goods at Costco, can also sell their stuff at ICA or Lidl at zero cost and zero return to Costco even if a card carrying member is the on purchasing it and having it in their home.

Hence I used the house analogy as it’s more fitting.

And untill apple list the explicit IP that is being violated and not compensated for its a nonsensical statement with no basis of fact to argue from.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It’s infinitely better than the previous system.
One opinion gets another. No it doesn’t.

This is indefensible for a company that values privacy.
It’s okay for apple to be forced to follow regulations except when MR posters don’t think they should. Got it. Yes I’m being purposefully sarcastic to highlight the moving goalposts.
Sigh, but that’s exactly how the DMA works now. And how the retail world works as well.
Sigh. There is a difference.
Costco can sell whatever they want and refuse to sell whatever they want. But the brands that sell their goods at Costco, can also sell their stuff at ICA or Lidl at zero cost and zero return to Costco even if a card carrying member is the on purchasing it and having it in their home.

Hence I used the house analogy as it’s more fitting.

And untill apple list the explicit IP that is being violated and not compensated for its a nonsensical statement with no basis of fact to argue from.
As I said bad legislation is impervious to real world analogies. (But that doesn’t stop us from trying)

Reactions: icanhazmac

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm all for free markets, when there is real competition.
I’m all for free markets period except when it comes to matters that affect life and death. Apple has no say in what the competition does and doesn’t do and it’s my opinion that’s why in part this legislation is bad.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
One opinion gets another. No it doesn’t.

It’s okay for apple to be forced to follow regulations except when MR posters don’t think they should. Got it. Yes I’m being purposefully sarcastic to highlight the moving goalposts.
Apple should still follow the law. The distinction is that the user SHOULD still have the ability to get software that the overlords don’t want them to have.

Apple having the AppStore and WebKit as the single point of failure is not good for people.
Sigh. There is a difference.
Then use the hotel/ apartment analogy. You only ”license” the right to live in the space and can’t host goods/apps inside the space without Apple/hotel manager/ landlords consent. Or the thing coming from the landlords book of accepted goods.
As I said bad legislation is impervious to real world analogies. (But that doesn’t stop us from trying)
Bad legislation is separerat from a good analogy. You only need to have an analogy of what the legislation actually does. The bad part is fully subjective.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apple should still follow the law. The distinction is that the user SHOULD still have the ability to get software that the overlords don’t want them to have.
Then buy a product that suits your requirements. It’s the overlords software. Doesn’t function the way you want but one that does.
Apple having the AppStore and WebKit as the single point of failure is not good for people.
It’s been good for a long time and still is good.
Then use the hotel/ apartment analogy. You only ”license” the right to live in the space and can’t host goods/apps inside the space without Apple/hotel manager/ landlords consent. Or the thing coming from the landlords book of accepted goods.
This “real world” is not proprietary IP. The App Store is.
Bad legislation is separerat from a good analogy. You only need to have an analogy of what the legislation actually does. The bad part is fully subjective.
This entire conversation except for the regulations are totally subjective.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
Then buy a product that suits your requirements. It’s the overlords software. Doesn’t function the way you want but one that does.
People didn’t plan for VPNs to be banned. Or to live in an authoritarian place.
It’s been good for a long time and still is good.
Rogue states think it’s good as it makes it easier to target people.
This “real world” is not proprietary IP. The App Store is.

This entire conversation except for the regulations are totally subjective.
The AppStore IP is never touched….

How does side loading touch the AppStore? It never goes through it and doesn’t need a single line of code related to the AppStore Apple made.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
People didn’t plan for VPNs to be banned. Or to live in an authoritarian place.
That’s not apples problem. Apple has to follow the law except when MR posters don’t like it.
Rogue states think it’s good as it makes it easier to target people.

The AppStore IP is never touched….
Yes it is.
How does side loading touch the AppStore? It never goes through it and doesn’t need a single line of code related to the AppStore Apple made.
apple was forced to use the IP in a way they didn’t want. They are giving away the store — so to speak.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
That’s not apples problem. Apple has to follow the law except when MR posters don’t like it.
Well that’s their pr problem. Profit before privacy.
Yes it is.
Can you prove that in any way?

When I purchase a developer license or get hold of a enterprise certification.

I sign my application and install it through a signing app on my windows computer using a custom certificate profile.

The AppStore IP is equally violated on iOS as it’s on Mac when you install software not provided through the default AppStore.
IMG_5679.jpeg

apple was forced to use the IP in a way they didn’t want. They are giving away the store — so to speak.
Apple wasn’t forced to do anything with their Ip, they chose voluntarily how to implement and ”follow the DMA” by implementing parts of their IP even tho it’s completely unnecessary.

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia

Yes it is.

Here you can watch a nice little informative video.

IMG_5680.jpeg

This is how it’s done so far as you still need a certificate.

But Apple for some reson insists to be interjected as the sole provider of the software certification when it can be fully separated.
IMG_5682.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5681.jpeg
    IMG_5681.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 4

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Here you can watch a nice little informative video.

View attachment 2395299
This is how it’s done so far as you still need a certificate.

But Apple for some reson insists to be interjected as the sole provider of the software certification when it can be fully separated. View attachment 2395298
The above doesnt change the fact the App Store is apples ip. Even if some don’t like the right control apple has over it.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well that’s their pr problem. Profit before privacy.
And they should be entitled to what they can earn. Don’t like the prices go with an alternative cell phone manufacturer.
Can you prove that in any way?
Can you disprove it? The App Store is being given away like free candy. EU based posters won’t admit it though.
When I purchase a developer license or get hold of an enterprise certification.

I sign my application and install it through a signing app on my windows computer using a custom certificate profile.
The enterprise program has been around for a while. One cannot just get a hold of a certificate unless some shady things are going on.
The AppStore IP is equally violated on iOS as it’s on Mac when you install software not provided through the default AppStore.
View attachment 2395294
It is legit to install using an Memon or certificate. These certificates are not given away like free beer. And apple can revoke the certificate.
Apple wasn’t forced to do anything with their Ip, they chose voluntarily how to implement and ”follow the DMA” by implementing parts of their IP even tho it’s completely unnecessary.
It’s like voluntarily going to jail…

• Disagree
Reactions: rmadsen3

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
A thought occurred to me while catching up on this thread. The main argument is that Apple is entitled to control and make revenue from the market they created as they see fit, right? Since it's their creation and their intellectual property or whatever.

Isn't it the same for the European Union? It's their market, they make the rules that players have to follow. Like developers and end users in the App Store.

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
Sounds like Apple in Ireland..
No, to poorly stretch that analogy, in that instance both the landlord (Ireland) and the tenant (Apple) agreed on the price of rent, and then the town's mayor (the same person leading the charge in favor the DMA I might add) complained the rent was too low and demands that the tenant pay more to the landlord. The landlord continues to argue that it doesn't deserve more money and that the mayor doesn't have any right to tell it how to price its rent.

Reactions: I7guy

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
The above doesnt change the fact the App Store is apples ip. Even if some don’t like the right control apple has over it.
It does. The above is demonstrating how side loading is done without touching the AppStore
And they should be entitled to what they can earn. Don’t like the prices go with an alternative cell phone manufacturer.
Indeed, hence the Pr issue as it’s their allegedly selling point.
Can you disprove it? The App Store is being given away like free candy. EU based posters won’t admit it though.

First you have the responsibility to provide proof for your positive claim, something you haven’t done, as it’s just empty statements without any evidence.

Secondly I have provided evidence for you multiple times that the AppStore isn’t legally required to be given away.

And how you currently can side load is evidence for this.

Such as AppDB have completely custom APIs and software to be independent from Apples Ip.
The enterprise program has been around for a while. One cannot just get a hold of a certificate unless some shady things are going on.

It is legit to install using an Memon or certificate. These certificates are not given away like free beer. And apple can revoke the certificate.
And that’s how you side load without touching the AppStore IP. It’s non trivial to acquire a certificate. Such as by paying Apple for a developer license or a company for an enterprise spot.
It’s like voluntarily going to jail…
That’s kind of what Apple did… even tho they didn’t have to.

Read the DMA, and then how Apple implemented it by integrating their IP. And you can read how nothing Apple did was required or necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.