Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
So Apple bet that it would take years to process this decision before having to pay any fines and they may just be able to settle at the last minute anyway to remove the core technology fee, but I bet Apple is surprised how quickly this preliminary decision came.

They seem to be getting surprised a lot lately

Apple leadership needs an overhaul

The resting on our laurels bean counter Tim days need to end

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It sounds terrible, but what would happen if Apple left the EU market? A solid billion is a lot to be fined for non-compliance. I respect the spirit of EU regulations to open up closed systems, to promote standards, and to protect user privacy. I wonder if the EU is too ambitious; their regulations are sometimes challenging to comply with. I’m referring to GDPR… this I’m unsure of. I hear many battles with the EU and anti-competitive practices, but at some point, switching to leave a market will become a viable option.
They will leave the EU when the net profit drops to $0.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
It sounds terrible, but what would happen if Apple left the EU market? A solid billion is a lot to be fined for non-compliance. I respect the spirit of EU regulations to open up closed systems, to promote standards, and to protect user privacy. I wonder if the EU is too ambitious; their regulations are sometimes challenging to comply with. I’m referring to GDPR… this I’m unsure of. I hear many battles with the EU and anti-competitive practices, but at some point, switching to leave a market will become a viable option.
What if Apple were to leave a market of more than 400 million people?

Yea... no, that won't happen.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Is it clear? Because it certainly seems a mess. Also, if the spirit of a law is one thing, but they don’t codify the ‘spirit’ of the law, then there isn’t legal requirements to follow the ‘spirit’ of the law.

Anyone thoughtful understands what is trying to be accomplished

You're intelligent - I'm sure you get it and so does Apple

Let's be frank and honest here

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Good. Apple needs to comply with European law if it sells products in Europe. Just like how European countries have to comply with US law to operate in the US. It's kind of bizar how many people in this thread seem to imply that US companies somehow don't have to respect local laws. Why wouldn't they? That's how business works in every country. Any company always has to comply with the local laws of the country in which they're operating. Why would it be any different for Apple?

People also seem to be forgetting that there's also an antitrust case against Apple in the US, for many of the same reasons as in the EU.

The idea of Apple pulling out of the EU is, simply, absurd. The costs of complying are minuscule compared to the profits they'd lose if they pulled out of the EU.

Also, anyone in this thread who's enjoying playing on an emulator on their iOS device should be thanking the EU for these laws, since the Digital Markets Act is the only reason Apple now allows emulators in the App Store.
I don’t know. Never had to compare the costs. I’m really just curious if that’s a real possibility. Some international markets are definitely tough to enter.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Funny thing is, you had a bunch of uninformed posters claim earlier this year it was "malicious compliance" or something silly.

No, this is clear non-compliance.

If you read the text, the conditions of the DMA mandate the gatekeeper (Apple) offer the same conditions it offers other developers as it does itself. Charging $0.50 per download obviously isn't what Apple charges itself.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
If your idea for a multinational tech company is "leave a very large market", rather than comply with regulations of said market....

I'd question your organizational leadership ideology, quite frankly
lol! True, but the question is do the costs outweigh the loss? Probably do. What percentage is EU to Apple’s international market revenue? These are unanswered questions.

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Anyone thoughtful understands what is trying to be accomplished

You're intelligent - I'm sure you get it and so does Apple

Let's be frank and honest here
I read the legislation. It’s a complicated mess.

Ultimately, the play the EU is making here is to force companies (Apple) to allow third party app stores while forcing them to also maintain the security of said system. This is an absolute nightmare from a security standpoint because you have to vet every application that is hosted in those app stores, which is what Apple has done.

Like I said, it’s a mess.

bcortens

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Yes, it was codified very clearly in the text of the DMA. Apple just chose to pull a Hail Mary.

View attachment 2388870
I think this text meant that Apple trying to offer two versions of its agreements was always going to be in violation. Developers can stay App Store exclusive and pay no CTF or offer their App in the App Store and elsewhere and pay the CTF. That seems so blatant that I'm surprised they (and their defenders like Gruber) thought it would stand.

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
What if Apple were to leave a market of more than 400 million consumers?

Yea... no, that won't happen.
True, their 400 million customers (if that’s an accurate number of apple customers) would totally justify compliance. So why propose such an interesting solution? I get the wanting to protect users, and notarize apps. Couldn’t iOS just sandbox apps? Let uses activate permissions to anything or everything or give the user choice?

Although not naive to hackers and nefarious spam artists. They are consistently using any tool they can acquire for their dubious business practices.

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
Just stop providing cheap/free dev tools to EU developers and start a metering arrangement where they have to pay for the delivery of their apps and updates on the App Store. They can pay for the tools and infrastructure ala carte then. Apple doesn’t have to give these people anything gratis.

CapitalIdea

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2022
Fantastic news

It's time to start with some ramifications for the continual blatant disregard for the spirit of the EU regulations and their intent

Apple apparently thinks they can just make a mockery of regulations
It's time to remind them who's in charge in a jurisdiction (not them)

Perhaps instead of sniffing and crying about the “spirit” of the regulations, WRITE CLEAR SPECIFIC REGULATIONS!

jumpcutking

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2020
Funny thing is, you had a bunch of uninformed posters claim earlier this year it was "malicious compliance" or something silly.

No, this is clear non-compliance.

If you read the text, the conditions of the DMA mandate the gatekeeper (Apple) offer the same conditions it offers other developers as it does itself. Charging $0.50 per download obviously isn't what Apple charges itself.
Well now… that’s interesting. So one could be compliant if those app fees are charged to your app purposes and (at least your fees paid out) are proven to be used exclusively to the App Store… if what your saying is correct. Although I haven’t read the document. I think I got passed the first few lines lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.