Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Hopefully, this might help folks who are on the fence on whether to get a cellular iPad or not.

This is my first time owning a cellular iPad. I was not sure if I would ever need cellular since I always have my phone with me and can use the hotspot feature if I ever need internet on my iPad, however, I bought a cellular version because the discount I received would make it about the same price as the wifi version.

Anyway, last night, our internet provider had an outage for about four hours (the longest so far). AT&T is also very spotty where we live. We just use wifi calling so it has never been an issue. This was my opportunity to checkout cellular on my iPad. I signed up for a 3GB/30 days plan through MobiMatter. After activating the service, I was able to switch the carrier to T-Mobile (which has better coverage in our area). I was able to get connected and enjoy the internet once again during the outage.

This made me realize that, while I can use my phone as a hotspot, having a cellular iPad will give me an option to have an alternate carrier whenever I need it. I am very glad that I chose to get a cellular iPad this time around. :)
How did you access the MobiMatter to be able to purchase if your internet was down?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tello's unlimited calls with 2GB data at $10/mo works well for me. If you go over the plan data cap, data speed slows down to 2G from 4/5G and is free. But I've never exceeded it.

Calls don’t work on iPad though so the extra $4 is an unnecessary expense for an iPad plan.

Note, Tello has updated their plans earlier this year. There’s no more 2G fallback on plans with GB allotments. Internet just gets cut off. Only the $25 unlimited (35GB high speed) has 2G fallback now.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
How did you access the MobiMatter to be able to purchase if your internet was down?

He did say AT&T was spotty, not completely non-existent.

I’ve been able to install an eSIM while connected to hotspot with spotty signal (granted, took 5 tries for successful activation).

Reactions: nepalisherpa

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA

He did say AT&T was spotty, not completely non-existent.

I’ve been able to install an eSIM while connected to hotspot with spotty signal (granted, took 5 tries for successful activation).
Exactly! I used my phone to sign up (of course painfully slow) and then setup eSIM on my iPad!

Reactions: coachgq

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Calls don’t work on iPad though so the extra $4 is an unnecessary expense for an iPad plan.

Note, Tello has updated their plans earlier this year. There’s no more 2G fallback on plans with GB allotments. Internet just gets cut off. Only the $25 unlimited (35GB high speed) has 2G fallback now.
I was really referring to the plan used for my iPhone (both voice and data). I didn't realize that 2G fallback feature was eliminated. A shame as that was a good selling point for their plans.

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Checkout MobiMatter! I signed up for 5G Premium data - 3GB/30 days/$5.49. Even if I were to renew it every month, it would basically be $65.88 for the whole year with 3GB every month. You can select AT&T or T-Mobile for network. If you sign up for 365-day plan, it's even cheaper: $39.99 for 40GB valid for 365 days. That comes out to about 3.33GB per month.
Does it also include Canada and Mexico?

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Exactly Cellular ipads are the biggest rip off
Wow statement. Would never get an iPad without one. Assume you must sit at home with your iPad and never take it anywhere or travel internationally or use it on business trips. If you did, you would not make that statement.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
£10 a month (for 25GB) is worth it to me for the convenience of cellular and, as others have said, saving the hassle (and hit on phone battery) of tethering. I'm an edge case, however, as I don't carry a smartphone.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 68000
May 8, 2015
Hopefully, this might help folks who are on the fence on whether to get a cellular iPad or not.
Hehe, there's no helping us. Based on forum threads, it appears that most of us spend our lives on an iPad fence of one sort or another. Get one or not? Which size? Pro or no? Upgrade or not? Get rid of it or not?
I bought a cellular version because the discount I received would make it about the same price as the wifi version.
If the discount was only good for the cellular version and could not have been applied to the wifi version, then by all means I would have gotten the cellular as well just in case I ever needed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.