Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
By the way, they are offering 40GB for the same price.

Yeah. I just saw. That plan’s new. Before, they only had 30GB $40, then 30+5GB $40 and now 40GB $40.

I wonder why they’re keeping the old 30GB and 30+5GB plans alongside the 40GB one.

Only downside is Sparks routes traffic through Poland so high latency and potential geo restrictions.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Yeah. I just saw. That plan’s new. Before, they only had 30GB $40, then 30+5GB $40 and now 40GB $40.

I wonder why they’re keeping the old 30GB and 30+5GB plans alongside the 40GB one.

Only downside is Sparks routes traffic through Poland so high latency and potential geo restrictions.
Ahh, didn't know that.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I think it depends on anticipated calling frequency. With my provider, the unlimited calling plan is $8/month. Unlimited data plan (for VOIP GV calls) is $25/month.

I'm a big proponent of what you're doing with the cellular iPad, but it didn't add up in value with VOIP phone calls for me. And I also found the iPhone compact size more convenient for mobility than even the iPad Mini.

When you say your plan is $10 for 5 months, what's the data limit or is it unlimited? Maybe you can share your provider name and plan name as it does sound pretty cost effective.
Pretty sure they mean T-Mobile however, I have had the same issue, they run that “$10 for 5 months” thing periodically and I used it once but it’s not easy to locate in the first place, nor to renew. I think you have to call them and maybe* you can get it but that is a hassle, the whole calling and being on hold experience.

Still, when I activate my service soon I will probably return to the different but still best I can find in the US plan, TMobile $10/month for 2gb data. It’s not perfect but for my usage (being near reliable wifi most but not all the time) it is mostly worth the $10/mo.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Exactly Cellular ipads are the biggest rip off
I feel like the plans are surprisingly inexpensive, considering you get unlimited data or very low cost per GB compared to smartphones at a much lower price. It's probably a supply and demand balance as most people consider the cellular service quite optional on tablets, especially when many phones can serve as a hotspot.

If you're talking about the up front surcharge Apple puts on the cellular models, that does seem out of proportion.

But I find it useful overall because it doesn't impact my cell phone's battery and i can also leave the iPad with my kid or wife and it stays usable since it has its own connection.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
You are advocating walking up to strangers and asking if one has an iPhone charging cord, provided one is near a power outlet, instead of paying a small monthly bill for iPad service that I would readily use and be happy with?

Don't forget about crossing your fingers, hoping the cable they have is USB-C!

Seriously, Cellular is about convenience, not value.

Biro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2012
You are advocating walking up to strangers and asking if one has an iPhone charging cord, provided one is near a power outlet, instead of paying a small monthly bill for iPad service that I would readily use and be happy with?
Then make sure you carry a short charging cable if you’re going to be out and about for a while. Just wind it up into a small circle and put it in your pocket.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Thanks. I tried looking through their site, are you sure they offer data-only ipad plans? everything I try to select and click through ends up referring to phones and phone service.

The eSIMs are regular call/text/data SIMs but they work on iPads, too. I’ve got a Tello eSIM installed on my iPad mini 6. My mini 6 IMEI is whitelisted when I checked on Tello.

There are no taxes and fees if you choose a custom plan with data only (no minutes). All their custom plans have unlimited text included. I manually renew every 29 days instead of letting it auto-renew on day 30 for data rollover.

Reactions: ndouglas

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
Cellular iPads are amazing. Absolutely worth it if the iPad is your main computer.

I no longer pay for a cellular plan as my main device is a MacBook, so I'm going to be hotspotting regardless. My iPad is only a main device when I travel overseas occasionally, and in that case I have to hotspot because only my phone has roaming data. So there aren't enough scenarios for me where it's worth it anymore. But I do wish my MacBook had cellular.

It's good to have an alternate carrier. My iPhone has a work SIM and a personal SIM, both on a different carrier. Until actually having this dual SIM setup I would have said it is unnecessary, over-preparing etc, but it actually comes in handy way more than I would have thought.

Reactions: racostaf

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
i literally have one permanently mounted over my 2020 4runner infotainment for the last 3 years, i plug it in like every other day and everything streams flawlessy over bluetooth, my only loss is the backup camera but having that roll down back window is the best. carplay is so annoying, i usually run the music app split screen with google, my other car is a model 3 and i enjoy this experience way more than the tesla

this is only flawless if you have a Unlimited Data Cellular iPad, i had tried previously tethering from my phone to an non cellular ipad air and that intial step of getting a internet connection is too much of a hassle

Attachments

• IMG_6714.jpeg
    IMG_6714.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 28

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Tello's unlimited calls with 2GB data at $10/mo works well for me. If you go over the plan data cap, data speed slows down to 2G from 4/5G and is free. But I've never exceeded it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ratspg

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
T-Mobile offers unlimited data and hotspot for the iPad for $20 (taxes and fees included). That is what I recently signed up for after previously using their 5GB /150 days / $10 plan only offered under the cellular options on the iPad.
Yes they do, but only if you have a voice line with them already. Otherwise they want $60/mo for iPad unlimited data without an existing phone line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.