Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Hopefully, this might help folks who are on the fence on whether to get a cellular iPad or not.

This is my first time owning a cellular iPad. I was not sure if I would ever need cellular since I always have my phone with me and can use the hotspot feature if I ever need internet on my iPad, however, I bought a cellular version because the discount I received would make it about the same price as the wifi version.

Anyway, last night, our internet provider had an outage for about four hours (the longest so far). AT&T is also very spotty where we live. We just use wifi calling so it has never been an issue. This was my opportunity to checkout cellular on my iPad. I signed up for a 3GB/30 days plan through MobiMatter. After activating the service, I was able to switch the carrier to T-Mobile (which has better coverage in our area). I was able to get connected and enjoy the internet once again during the outage.

This made me realize that, while I can use my phone as a hotspot, having a cellular iPad will give me an option to have an alternate carrier whenever I need it. I am very glad that I chose to get a cellular iPad this time around. :)

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
In fairness, pretty much all iPhones support dual SIM so you could have also installed the MobiMatter eSIM to your phone.

Still, it’s nice to have options.
True, but, then you have to go through the settings and select which plan to use for data. It's doable but takes extra steps. I know...first world problem. :D

Also forgot to mention that eSIM on the phone could be locked depending on how the phone was purchased.

Last edited:
Reactions: harshar and Parowdy

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
I almost did something similar in going to a cellular iPad recently. But my plan was to drop cell phone service and just use VOIP like Google Voice on the iPad for phone calls. But for calling, phone plans are cheaper than data plans. So in the end no change.

But recently my ISP had an internet outage for a few days in my area. My Tello package includes both phone and data. So by tethering my wifi iPad to my cell phone, I had internet from the iPad (it sort of became a cellular iPad in that configuration).

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Honestly, the cellular model iPad minis have always been the most utilitarian non-iPhone Apple products that I've ever owned. Portable enough to take everywhere, large enough to still be useful in ways that even large iPhones aren't. Can fit in a dude's front pockets. Super handy. And, yeah, always-on Internet is pretty damn convenient!

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I almost did something similar in going to a cellular iPad recently. But my plan was to drop cell phone service and just use VOIP like Google Voice on the iPad for phone calls. But for calling, phone plans are cheaper than data plans. So in the end no change.

But recently my ISP had an internet outage for a few days in my area. My Tello package includes both phone and data. So by tethering my wifi iPad to my cell phone, I had internet from the iPad (it sort of became a cellular iPad in that configuration).

What phone plans are cheaper than iPad data plans? I keep using the "5G for 5 months for $10 plan" on my iPad mini... with GV to cover the telephony (buds with mic, not holding an iPad up to my head). On average, I'm spending about $25 PER YEAR for 5G service in America and not really feeling like I'm missing anything letting Mini double as my "phone" too. Telephony is just an app... like maps or flashlights or iPod or tape measure, etc.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
What phone plans are cheaper than iPad data plans? I keep using the "5G for 5 months for $10 plan" on my iPad mini... with GV to cover the telephony (buds with mic, not holding an iPad up to my head). On average, I'm spending about $25 PER YEAR for 5G service in America and not really feeling like I'm missing anything letting Mini double as my "phone" too. Telephony is just an app... like maps or flashlights or iPod or tape measure, etc.
I think it depends on anticipated calling frequency. With my provider, the unlimited calling plan is $8/month. Unlimited data plan (for VOIP GV calls) is $25/month.

I'm a big proponent of what you're doing with the cellular iPad, but it didn't add up in value with VOIP phone calls for me. And I also found the iPhone compact size more convenient for mobility than even the iPad Mini.

When you say your plan is $10 for 5 months, what's the data limit or is it unlimited? Maybe you can share your provider name and plan name as it does sound pretty cost effective.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think it depends on anticipated calling frequency. With my provider, the unlimited calling plan is $8/month. Unlimited data plan (for VOIP GV calls) is $25/month.

I'm a big proponent of what you're doing with the cellular iPad, but it didn't add up in value with VOIP phone calls for me. And I also found the iPhone compact size more convenient for mobility than even the iPad Mini.

When you say your plan is $10 for 5 months, what's the data limit or is it unlimited? Maybe you can share your provider name and plan name as it does sound pretty cost effective.
T-Mobile offers the 5GB / 150 days / $10. If you have an iPad bought directly from Apple, you can pick the under cellular settings. I am the U.S. I don’t know if it is offered in the UK or elsewhere.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
T-Mobile offers the 5GB / 150 days / $10. If you have an iPad bought directly from Apple, you can pick the under cellular settings. I am the U.S. I don’t know if it is offered in the UK or elsewhere.
Sounds good, but 1GB/mo seems a little sparse to cover all internet usage and VOIP phone calls. Unless this is only for calls and an ISP wifi connection is used for internet. I went to T Mobile website and didn't see that offer under data only plans... maybe missed.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I’m basically in Free WiFi zones most of each day, so I use little cellular data… just when I actually need it… such as when away from wifi. In fact, when my 5 months runs out, I sometimes go a few weeks without needing more cellular data… then add it again (on demand) when actually needed.

If I used all 5GB early and need more, I buy another block for $10 and restart the 5GB data bank or 5-month clock. However, that doesn’t happen as I typically have quite a bit of capacity left at the end of the 5-month period.

It all works just fine for me… and costs so relatively little. Would it work for everyone? Of course not… nothing works for everyone. But it’s just fine for me. Besides the obvious & dramatic savings in cell service costs, iPads tend to have much longer (use) legs than iPhones, so I'm not laying out towards $1000+ every couple of years either. Instead, my last hop was from Mini 2 to 6 after EIGHT years... and expect my next hop to be iPad Mini 9 or 10 in about 2029-30. The infamous, "long in tooth" effect comes slower to iPads.

Last edited:

Larabee119

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
When my iPad connect directly to my Sony A7R5, it uses 5G to get access to the internet. Tmobile has really good deal. I'm just going with the $30/month.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Hopefully, this might help folks who are on the fence on whether to get a cellular iPad or not.

This is my first time owning a cellular iPad. I was not sure if I would ever need cellular since I always have my phone with me and can use the hotspot feature if I ever need internet on my iPad, however, I bought a cellular version because the discount I received would make it about the same price as the wifi version.

Anyway, last night, our internet provider had an outage for about four hours (the longest so far). AT&T is also very spotty where we live. We just use wifi calling so it has never been an issue. This was my opportunity to checkout cellular on my iPad. I signed up for a 3GB/30 days plan through MobiMatter. After activating the service, I was able to switch the carrier to T-Mobile (which has better coverage in our area). I was able to get connected and enjoy the internet once again during the outage.

This made me realize that, while I can use my phone as a hotspot, having a cellular iPad will give me an option to have an alternate carrier whenever I need it. I am very glad that I chose to get a cellular iPad this time around. :)
I’m a little unclear on why you don’t just switch to a provider that has good coverage in your home?

michaelscarn

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
I’m a little unclear on why you don’t just switch to a provider that has good coverage in your home?
They may not be able to switch if living in certain buildings or neighborhoods.

I'm stuck with one ISP, and can't even get their fastest upload speeds because the condo/coffin's wiring is so outdated. The elderly HOA board doesn't see the need to upgrade the wiring or even let another ISP wire so we have options, but spending $1200 per year for an inconveniently placed landline at the pool is an absolute necessity. :rolleyes:

To note, the surrounding buildings and homes have multiple ISPs, all wired for the most current/fastest service.

michaelscarn

macrumors member
May 25, 2021
In regards to the cellular iPad, I've thought about adding one when we eventually switch back to Verizon. $15/month for the fastest iPad plan, if you have one of the two highest phone plans, which I will.

My Air 3 is getting noticeably slower, and there have been several outages, hotel stays, and road trips where a cellular iPad would have been very useful. If they have any trade in offers, I'll likely get the M4 Pro. Another benefit to the cellular iPads is the ability to finance with no interest for up to 36 months, although you have to keep the cellular service until it's paid off.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Couple of reasons:

1. Except for our area, AT&T has much better coverage everywhere else, but, wifi calling makes it a non-issue in our area as well, except when home internet is down. Cellular signal is still plenty good for phone calls when home internet is down. It is just not good enough for video calls and internet.
2. We get a corporate discount with AT&T.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Checkout MobiMatter! I signed up for 5G Premium data - 3GB/30 days/$5.49. Even if I were to renew it every month, it would basically be $65.88 for the whole year with 3GB every month. You can select AT&T or T-Mobile for network. If you sign up for 365-day plan, it's even cheaper: $39.99 for 40GB valid for 365 days. That comes out to about 3.33GB per month.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I went to T Mobile website and didn't see that offer under data only plans... maybe missed.

It’s an iPad exclusive plan (since Air 2, iirc) and only shows up in the iPad’s Settings - Cellular Data.

I don’t know if you need a US SKU iPad for the plan to show up or if any unlocked iPad used in the US has this plan available.

Reactions: Richard8655

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Checkout MobiMatter! I signed up for 5G Premium data - 3GB/30 days/$5.49. Even if I were to renew it every month, it would basically be $65.88 for the whole year with 3GB every month. You can select AT&T or T-Mobile for network.

MobiMatter has a Sparks eSIM with 30+5GB EU+US plan for $39.99 a year. Mine automatically roamed on T-Mobile. Not sure if it supports other networks.

• Wow
Reactions: ignatius345

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
USA
MobiMatter has a Sparks eSIM with 30+5GB EU+US plan for $39.99 a year. Mine automatically roamed on T-Mobile. Not sure if it supports other networks.
Yep, I had added that part in my previous post but we probably posted at the same time. :). I wanted to try out the cheapest plan first to see how it would work. I might just get that plan for $39.99 and be set for a year. By the way, they are offering 40GB for the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.