Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
If you ask me Sam Altman pulled a Steve Jobs move here! I think it is great! It is also great for Apple! Microsoft's biggest weakness is that they killed their Microsoft Smart Phone! Microsoft also killed their AR/VR headset HoloLens 2.

I don't recall Steve running a company that profits off mass stealing of others content without permission, compensation or attribution.

Last edited:

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Doesn't Microsoft own 49% of OpenAI? If anything, this might be Sam trying to make a point of not needing them.

Makes me wonder who gets the next guest seat.

Something like that but Sam Altman is thinking of changing the structure of OpenAI to a profit based company that may do an IPO. That may almost nullify the 49% of private shares that Microsoft has in OpenAI.

Last edited:

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
Something like that but Sam Altman is thinking of changing the structure of OpenAI to a profit based company and that may do an IPO. That may almost nullify the 49% of private shares that Microsoft has in OpenAI.

I'm sure Microsoft has already accounted for that and would probably be a majority stakeholder with public shares as well. If nothing else, they are getting a major payout of openAI's profits, to the tune of $13ish billion.

They're not dumb.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I'm sure Microsoft has already accounted for that and would probably be a majority stakeholder with public shares as well.

They're not dumb.

That is not up to Microsoft! Microsoft would have to buy those shares! Even if Microsoft was granted shares, 13 Billion is nothing compared to OpenAI being worth 100 Billion to 1 Trillion dollars in Market Cap! Shares would be issued and bought on the Free Market! And everyone would want OpenAI's shares which could easily eclipse the ownership share that Microsoft has currently! I want to make another prediction! This is going to happen! With Apple in the mix now Microsoft needs OpenAI more than OpenAI needs Microsoft!

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
That is not up to Microsoft! Microsoft would have to buy those shares! Even if Microsoft was granted shares, 13 Billion is nothing compared to OpenAI being worth 100 Billion to 1 Trillion dollars in Market Cap! Shares would be issued and bought on the Free Market! And everyone would want OpenAI's shares which could easily eclipse the ownership share that Microsoft has currently! I want to make another prediction! This is going to happen! With Apple in the mix now Microsoft needs OpenAI more than OpenAI needs Microsoft!

Naa, Microsoft is fine without them. They have the computer power on the backend (Azure).

We also don't know if it's up then or not as none of us know what their contract stipulates. In addition, they get $13 billion of their profit, not their value.

Maybe they (OpenAI) could share some of that value with the creators of content they blatantly stole for their profit? Eh, probably won't.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
He needs to get behind Gates since MS invested $13b in OpenAI and is entitled to 50% of their profits until it’s paid back. Will Apple’s customer data be flowing to MS’s resources?

Apple does not make its money with customer data, Apple makes its money from selling 200+ million iPhones every year! Apple could easily pay off the 10 Billion if they wanted too! Apple also makes a lot from Services believe it or not! Microsoft needs to realize that they are not the only 3 Trillion dollar company out there!

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
If it were up to me, I would have kicked him out a long time ago. Arrogant, smug, and hostile towards developers. These people have had their time; now it’s enough. Get out of here.

Ha I was thinking similarly if slightly less harsh.

He was supposed to have semi-retired a couple years ago. They’re trying to promote him out of the way.

So when this came along they’re like “finally something for you to do! Go over to OpenAI and write them some whiskey fueled emails instead of sending them to Tim Sweeney.”

• Haha
Reactions: gusmula and Morod

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Naa, Microsoft is fine without them. They have the computer power on the backend (Azure).

We also don't know if it's up then or not as none of us know what their contract stipulates. In addition, they get $13 billion of their profit, not their value.

I am not talking about Azure (compute), I am talking about the AI expertise. Don't get it twisted, Microsoft learned almost everything they know about AI from OpenAI. Google has even more advanced AI research than Microsoft and look at how they are struggling to compete with OpenAI! Also Microsoft Azure is just a shadow of Amazon AWS when it comes to cloud compute and Amazon is another Trillion dollar company! You heard the prediction from me first here! OpenAI will do a public IPO!

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2024
Apple does not make its money with customer data, Apple makes its money from selling 200+ million iPhones every year! Apple could easily pay off the 10 Billion if they wanted too! Apple also makes a lot from Services believe it or not! Microsoft needs to realize that they are not the only 3 Trillion dollar company out there!
I don’t understand the point you want to make. The facts are Microsoft invested $13b and as part of that strategic partnership it allows ChatGPT to use Microsoft’s massive computing and cloud resources.

WarmWinterHat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2024
I am not talking about Azure (compute), I am talking about the AI expertise. Don't get it twisted, Microsoft learned almost everything they know about AI from OpenAI. Google has even more advanced AI research than Microsoft and look at how they are struggling to compete with OpenAI! Also Microsoft Azure is just a shadow of Amazon AWS when it comes to cloud compute and Amazon is another Trillion dollar company! You heard the prediction from me first here! OpenAI will do a public IPO!

Microsoft will be worth 6 trillion before OpenAI makes it to 1 trillion. They are better company, bigger, more embedded and more diversified. OpenAI is a one-trick pony.

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I don’t understand the point you want to make. The facts are Microsoft invested $13b and as part of that strategic partnership it allows ChatGPT to use Microsoft’s massive computing and cloud resources.

You're underestimating Sam Altman, there are alternatives to Microsoft! Do not be surprised if Sam Altaman exercises those options! Let's not be naive here! Just wait until the OpenAI IPO! You will see!

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2024
You're underestimating Sam Altman, there are alternatives to Microsoft! Do not be surprised if Sam Altaman exercises those options! Let's not be naive here! Just wait until the OpenAI IPO! You will see!

There‘s nothing to estimate or to be surprised about. I merely pointed out the business deal between OpenAI and MS. And then questioned what type of Apple customer information will be processed across MS resources. Maybe it’s no big deal to some and a concern to others. You seem to be trying to make ‘what if’ points. None of which I understand of see their relevance.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I wonder if we'll get the same endless conspiracy theories re: Schiller being on the board that we got with Shmidt when Apple comes out with future ai "features"....

spaxxedout

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2018
If it were up to me, I would have kicked him out a long time ago. Arrogant, smug, and hostile towards developers. These people have had their time; now it’s enough. Get out of here.

What really did it for me was when he did an interview for Lamborghini at Apple Park.

Reactions: shadowboi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.