Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ctrlos

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2022
What they really need to build is an A17 Pro powered answer to the Quest 3. That level of tech with all the sensors and no stupid EyeSight display could easily get below $1000.

Pass through quality isn’t important; it is the quality of whatever is displayed in the windows.

• Haha
Reactions: aParkerMusic

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
What they really need to build is an A17 Pro powered answer to the Quest 3. That level of tech with all the sensors and no stupid EyeSight display could easily get below $1000.

Pass through quality isn’t important; it is the quality of whatever is displayed in the windows.
I think Apple finds it to be very important. So important to their product experience that they developed a realtime-os and silicon specifically to address it.

Crappy passthrough does not matter, you’re right on that.

lilkwarrior

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
This.
It really hit me when I saw it was $5 000 in Canada. Like, I can explore cool tech for $1 500, maybe even stretch it to $2 000, but never $5 000.
…The Vision Pro’s price actually makes it a bargain for the price of prosumer monitors that don’t even have its HDR capabilities—just like the Pro Display XDR which to no surprise had similar criticism for its price and instead aged like fine wine.

Look at the price of a prosumer 4K+ Dolby HDR + HLG HDR monitor with 1600 peak nits (and ideally 1000+ sustained nits); even large, low-end HDR (HDR600) 5K2K monitors are consistently ~$2000 MSRP.

The sole other headset in the world with a higher resolution than the Vision Pro and more pixel density than the Vision Pro is a non-standalone headset that doesn’t even have HDR. It costs more than the Vision Pro.

The Vision Pro isn’t priced or compromising for the mainstream consumer; the market has enough of those headsets with middling success at best:

The Quest headsets are arguably the most successful headsets in the market that have lost 4 billion dollars and have contributed to a mediocre reputation for the device category alongside Sony’s abysmal execution of supporting the PSVR2.

Apple had no obligation catering to budget/mainstream audiences first compared to a niche of prosumers most understanding, most likely to afford, and most knowledgeable/appreciative of the innovations of the Vision Pro.

Last edited:

Joshuaorange

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2023
Ok, so does lower PPI and larger size mean it will end up with the same resolution, just less magnified by the lenses? Or will the quality be worse, also?
It will be worse in every way. Lower res and bigger screen. Though for casual users it may not matter.

cdsapplefan

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2023
battery for example and the most important thing, i don't want a bigger iOS but the same user experience, just like the "Pro" model,
Yeah it would affect your phone battery 🔋 🪫 life by tethering processing power, so maybe they will scratch that out, but they will definitely cut costs by eliminating the micro OLED screens

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
New strategy. Classic New Era Apple.

Downgrading all their products.

This with AVP.

HomePod: Downgrade Wifi and less microphones

iPhone: Worse battery quality and less microphones

iPad: Downgraded Camera

Macbook Pro: Smaller Heatsinks

Price do keep increasing.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021
It will be interesting when the low cost one comes with M4 or even M5 chip when the high cost one remains at M2😂

miiwtoo

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah it would affect your phone battery 🔋 🪫 life by tethering processing power, so maybe they will scratch that out, but they will definitely cut costs by eliminating the micro OLED screens
even the Xreal has OLEDoS!!!, you can buy one if you wanna a tethered device :V

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Apparently they built 750,000 of the first version

Most of which presumably remain either unsold or returned
A friend works in the Apple Logistics and said 33% of the remaining US stock units are being shipped and scattered for EU purchases.

W£S

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2021

And yet refurbished sets are not available. I wonder whether they repackage it as new and sell it.

Maybe it will work if they slap a M4 chip and resell it as new. I know of people who sees it as outdated given it is 2 generations behind the latest Mac chip

lilkwarrior

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA

…Besides being problematically speculative (prosumers don’t care about how a product work for others who may not even have their needs met warranting not buying), that is false with at least 400,000 reportedly sold for a prosumer device that costs $3500-$5000 that released only in the US

Do the math the profit it has; with reviews conceding it is the best XR headset in several core functions, it’s seamless role of working alongside Apple’s other prosumer hardware is a better start than prosumer headsets before it and already more innovative.

Meta didn’t even bother following up the Quest Pro with anything and swiftly had to reduce its MSRP of $1500 to $1000 with how poorly it met prosumer needs

Last edited:
Reactions: aParkerMusic

lilkwarrior

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA

It can be argued they don’t. The Quest 3 bleeds money (4 billion dollars lost!) Meta supports primarily to support their Metaverse aspirations.

Even then, the gaming-oriented Quest 3 has soured AAA gamers on VR with its abysmal mobile-class-APU and not even giving its VR games or premium content a chance to be on par with non-VR games/hardware platforms not even supporting HDR.

I’m not convinced Apple is in the interest of subsidizing the cost of any product, and selling a headset that cannot render its premium content as ideally intended.

DeepWebinar

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2020
ya know if they bring the price down, make it stop giving people headaches, bring the weight down, define a single useful use case for it, make it stop giving people black eyes, and make it not incredibly embarrassing to wear, then they’d still have a really stupid product that nobody wants.

thebart

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2023
Why do we need 10000 nits? I don't need the retina display to burn out my retina. What material is even mastered at 10000 nits?

What I want is a wider field of view. I want to feel like I'm watching IMAX, not a home theater

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
…Besides being problematically speculative (prosumers don’t care about how a product work for others who may not even have their needs met warranting not buying), that is false with at least 400,000 reportedly sold for a prosumer device that costs $3500-$5000 that released only in the US

Do the math the profit it has; with reviews conceding it is the best XR headset in several core functions, it’s seamless role of working alongside Apple’s other prosumer hardware is a better start than prosumer headsets before it and already more innovative.

Meta didn’t even bother following up the Quest Pro with anything and swiftly had to reduce its MSRP of $1500 to $1000 with how poorly it met prosumer needs

Not sure what parts you are saying are problematic or false

The production numbers are the production numbers

I speculated that a lot were returned

Reactions: arkitect

lilkwarrior

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
I find this extremely hard to believe. I feel like they sold less than 50,000. But hey if Apple has shared numbers I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Yeah, that might be their expected numbers this year I misremembered instead of sold thus far; we will hopefully see. What was said was speculative nonetheless.

Even 50,000 is nonetheless at least $150,000,000 for a prosumer product.

The Vision Pro was never for the masses and priced accordingly regardless just like the Pro Display XDR, Mac Studio, and Mac Pro.

The highest volume non-iPhone prosumer products are the Macbook Pro and iPad Pro; the iPad Pro is the sole prosumer among those devices that also make up a significant portion of its market.

lilkwarrior

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
Why do we need 10000 nits? I don't need the retina display to burn out my retina. What material is even mastered at 10000 nits?

What I want is a wider field of view. I want to feel like I'm watching IMAX, not a home theater
…Creative professionals certainly do. There is yet to be something too bright for even professional displays. 10,000 nits max is not unheard of for ideal HDR-related.

Dolby Vision HDR is mastered not uncommonly at 4000 (1000 minimum for reference monitors; 1000+ sustained nits being a key feature of Apple displays and other prosumer monitors by the likes of Asus).

Settling makes no sense for the panel industry notorious for doing just that.

Especially for a display that is directly in your face that has to account for very bright environments output is competing against.

Nonetheless my understanding is that the Vision Pro peaks at 5000 nits; I could be wrong not doing HDR peak nits test with mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.