Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
I didn’t suggest they were.

I'm sorry... Didn't mean to suggest that was your belief. Many here, however, have concluded AVP ia a flop.

Apparently because Apple hasn't come close to iPhone sales volume with AVP. And not realizing $1.4 Billion in AVP sales (with roughly $650 Million in profit) in just 5 months of availability, is pretty good.

Reactions: Amazing Iceman

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
this might be the wrong site for you then

much of these forums are pure speculation
I said speculating about that, not speculating in general.
Also to be clear about my previous post, speculation and debate (ie. arguing) are not the same. One is kicking the ball around for fun, the other is thinking there’s a winner and loser.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I'm sorry... Didn't mean to suggest that was your belief. Many here, however, have concluded AVP ia a flop.

Apparently because Apple hasn't come close to iPhone sales volume with AVP. And not realizing $1.4 Billion in AVP sales (with roughly $650 Million in profit) in just 5 months of availability, is pretty good.

I’ve never expected AVP to match iPhones and iPads in terms of sales because it’s not priced competitively to do so and I’m sure Apple knew this. As a consumer I measure impact via sales rather than revenue though and if this product is being measured in revenue/profit entirely, it’s clearly done very well. If we measure it via the number of people using it on a global scale, it’s likely going to continue to be a niche product by default.

I don’t expect it to revolutionise the way ‘we’ approach computing as it’s a wearable device. That for me is the one thing that will prevent it becoming a mainstream computing device. The Apple Watch for example is an extremely successful wearable device in its own right, but I think still the vast majority of iPhone users don’t use one. A lot of that is down to preferences for not wanting to wear something and that for me will ultimately apply to something we need to wear on our face. I expect AVP to do well though and it clearly is.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
I’ve never expected AVP to match iPhones and iPads in terms of sales because it’s not priced competitively to do so and I’m sure Apple knew this. As a consumer I measure impact via sales rather than revenue though and if this product is being measured in revenue/profit entirely, it’s clearly done very well. If we measure it via the number of people using it on a global scale, it’s likely going to continue to be a niche product by default.

I don’t expect it to revolutionise the way ‘we’ approach computing as it’s a wearable device. That for me is the one thing that will prevent it becoming a mainstream computing device. The Apple Watch for example is an extremely successful wearable device in its own right, but I think still the vast majority of iPhone users don’t use one. A lot of that is down to preferences for not wanting to wear something and that for me will ultimately apply to something we need to wear on our face. I expect AVP to do well though and it clearly is.

I don't believe AVP was ever intended to be a general computing device, though it can certainly be used as one if someone desires that. Which would be awkward in most cases, as it would be for any AR/VR device.

Rather, AR/VR shines as an assistive device that helps people perform tasks (architecture/ interior-design/ landscape-design/etc walkthroughs, factory diagnosis, car repair, etc, surgeries, and on and on), educational purposes (exploring 15,000 year old cave paintings in Lascaux as if you were there, visiting the worlds museums, exploring the Coliseum as if you were there, etc), being able to "participate" in events such as a San Francisco marathon run with 20,000 other runners as if you were there, and traveling to and exploring different countries as if you were there, and on and on.

For a *niche* tech device costing $3,500, selling 400,000 units in just 5 months, with $1.4 billion in sales and $650 million in profit, is rather remarkable.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Apple seriously needs to add support for glasses

Certainly would be nice, but how? How do you keep out light seepage?

1. Have the device completely cover the head behind the ears?

2. If not how do you get a seal over glasses frames without putting pressure on the frames?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Certainly would be nice, but how? How do you keep out light seepage?

1. Have the device completely cover the head behind the ears?

2. If not how do you get a seal over glasses frames without putting pressure on the frames?
Right. Plus the whole point of getting inserts is to keep your eyes as close as possible to the main lenses to get the maximum field of view. Also, prescription glasses cold get in the way of the cameras reading your eye expressions for eye tracking, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.