Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
I could see them holding off on the M1 pro/max Mini until WWDC. Then releasing the M1 Super MacPro late in the year.

BigKahunaBurguer

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2018
Not at the spring event, but I can’t wait for the new Mac Pro to be announced. That will be the real deal for next decade.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple's first major product announcements of the year often occur in March or April, so there's a reasonable chance that trend will continue in 2022.

This is very predictable, Apple is using the semi annual (6 months) release schedule with new Mac products of the transition so far. (Nov, May, Nov, now May) Late April is usually the target for announcement,

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I could see them holding off on the M1 pro/max Mini until WWDC. Then releasing the M1 Super MacPro late in the year.
They won't, WWDC 2022 is suppose to be about the 5 OS ecosystems lately as observed. Its a distraction to talk about new hardware products it seems. Occasionally they show off a new product, but if using the WWDC 2021 as a example all the predictions were wrong.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
They won't, WWDC 2022 is suppose to be about the 5 OS ecosystems lately as observed. Its a distraction to talk about new hardware products it seems. Occasionally they show off a new product, but if using the WWDC 2021 as a example all the predictions were wrong.

I still think the 14/16" MacBook Pro were meant for a WWDC 2021 reveal, but now that M1 PRO and M1 MAX are out in the wild, I agree it seems unlikely Apple would hold off until WWDC 2022 to announce a 27" iMac and a Mac mini with those SoCs when they could either do it at a Spring event or just via a Press Release.

If any new Mac is announced at WWDC, it will be the Apple Silicon Mac Pro since Apple has used WWDC to launch the 6,1 and 7,1 models so there is precedent to announce 8,1 there and 8,1 should have new SoCs ("M1 MAX Duo / Quad" - Jade2C-Die/4C-Die).

Vol Braakzakje

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2019
I desperately need the new MacBook Air! Give me one with the M1 or M2, I don’t care, I just want the new ports.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
I think the mac pro will be shown ar wwdc with release date later in November- December
The last 2 mac pros always were presented at WWDC

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I desperately need the new MacBook Air! Give me one with the M1 or M2, I don’t care, I just want the new ports.
I haven’t heard any real rumors about additional ports on the Air other than a good chance of getting the MagSafe3 port. We may still be stuck with just 2 TB4 ports.

Reactions: ASentientBot

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I still think the 14/16" MacBook Pro were meant for a WWDC 2021 reveal, but now that M1 PRO and M1 MAX are out in the wild, I agree it seems unlikely Apple would hold off until WWDC 2022 to announce a 27" iMac and a Mac mini with those SoCs when they could either do it at a Spring event or just via a Press Release.

If any new Mac is announced at WWDC, it will be the Apple Silicon Mac Pro since Apple has used WWDC to launch the 6,1 and 7,1 models so there is precedent to announce 8,1 there and 8,1 should have new SoCs ("M1 MAX Duo / Quad" - Jade2C-Die/4C-Die).
During WWDC 2021 I was thinking we haven't even had a year go by since M1 announcement, and people are expecting MBPs with new AS SoC's already. The timing of a release would have messed up Apple's marketing bad IMHO.

Imagine all the new 24" M1 Mac owners (6 months after the initial M1 releases) being informed that you have MBPs with M1 Pro SoC's a couple of months later?

I am not sure the M1 Max would have been ready, they are still in short supply it seems. It would have made all the larger iMac people even more impatient.

So holding up the next gen 14/16 MBP release to end of Oct seemed better manufacturing supply oriented as well as not obliterating the other available Mac choices.

A spring release per this article is putting the predictable time buffer so it doesn't interfering with other product sales.
:D

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
Apple often seeds disinformation (internally and with suppliers) to disrupt expectations before new product launches. I think they have successfully steered the "rumor" mill toward a 27" iMac, when, in fact, it will be larger.

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
The larger iMac model is what is the most curious product for me. I'm curious to see what direction they go in with the design, colour schemes, internal configurations such as the CPU and the display technology. There are so many directions that they can take this beast in fingers crossed 🤞.

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
I haven’t heard any real rumors about additional ports on the Air other than a good chance of getting the MagSafe3 port. We may still be stuck with just 2 TB4 ports.
My understanding of the specs is that it will be a Mag safe for charging, and two 2tba for charging or whatever. So it technically adds one more port.

Reactions: Tagbert

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
yeah :)
But more importantly, an external power supply and lack of ports on a DESKTOP computer, where thinness and weight are irrelevant.
Ok, Apple sometimes seems to focus on thinness and compact products too much, but heat wise the 24" M1 iMac is way cooler then the 2015 i7 Intel iMac I had that heated up the room playing games. I think the $150 Satechi USB4 Hub is a good match for it if the two TB3/USB4 ports and 2 USB-C ports are inadequate. Certainly better buy then 2021 TB3 hubs that didn't match what Apple was pushing. :)

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa
Well they continue to use the same technology and repackage it in some different way using the same color schemes like it's a fashion show. I think apples becoming more of a accessory company than a technology company.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Imagine all the new 24" M1 Mac owners (6 months after the initial M1 releases) being informed that you have MBPs with M1 Pro SoC's a couple of months later?

Would they care? I mean iMac and MacBook Pro are relatively different market segments. And rumors about a larger iMac with "M1X" were circulating concurrently with the rumors of a 14" and 16" MacBook Pro with "M1X" so folks who wanted that were likely not going to buy a 24" M1 iMac anyway.

I am not sure the M1 Max would have been ready, they are still in short supply it seems. It would have made all the larger iMac people even more impatient.

So holding up the next gen 14/16 MBP release to end of Oct seemed better manufacturing supply oriented as well as not obliterating the other available Mac choices.

*nods in agreement*

Yes it seems fairly likely from supply chain sources that MiniLED panel constraints pushed back the MBP launch and it does seem like yields on the M1 MAX were low (comparatively vs. the M1 PRO) so that would have been a factor, as well. And supply constraints on the M1 PRO and MAX could help explain why the "Mac mini Pro" did not launch in the Fall.

The jury still seems to be out on the larger iMac, as some say it will have a MiniLED display and others say it will keep the current 5K panel from the Intel model. Or we may see Apple launch two models - one with the current 5K panel and a separate "Pro" model with MiniLED (at 27"/5K or 32"/6K) and the more powerful M1 family processors first rumored for the Mac Pro.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Apple needs to get ALL of the Mac variants (laptops / desktops / AIOs) on the M1 / M1 Pro / M1 Max / M1 Max Duo / M1 Max Quadra SoCs before they start introducing any M2 variants...!

Spring 2022:
  • Mac mini - M1 Pro / Max
  • 27" 5k iMac - M1 Pro / Max
  • POSSIBLE 24" 4.5k Apple-branded display
  • POSSIBLE 27" 5k Apple-branded display
Press Release (right before WWDC 2022):
  • Refreshed Mac Pro (2019 Cheesegrater 2.0)
  • New mobo (because new socket needed)
  • Ice Lake Xeon CPUs
  • Faster ECC DDR4 RAM (3200MT/s)
  • W7000-series MPX GPUs
  • PCIe Gen4 expansion slots
WWDC 2022:
  • Mac Pro Cube - M1 Max Duo / Quadra
  • POSSIBLE 32" 6k iMac Pro - M1 Max Duo
  • POSSIBLE 32" 6k Apple-branded display
Transition complete...! ;^p

boak

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2021
Spring will likely be:
  • M1 Pro/Max Mac mini
  • M1 Pro/Max iMac (Pro)
  • Purple iPhone 13
  • iPad Air with A15, 5G and Center Stage
  • Possibly iPhone SE
  • Possibly AirPods Pro

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.