Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa

Apple today said it has approved the third-party Epic Games Store in the European Union, allowing the Fortnite developer to launch its alternative app marketplace in those countries, reports Reuters. Epic Games had submitted the Epic Games Store to Apple for notarization earlier this week.

fortnite_apple_featured.jpg

Earlier today, Epic stated Apple had twice rejected the Epic Games Store this week, with Apple reportedly claiming that an "Install" button and "in-app purchases" labels were too similar to Apple's own elements for the App Store. Epic argued that the rejection was "arbitrary, obstructive, and in violation of the DMA [Digital Markets Act]" and that it was reporting the issue to the European Commission, but it appears Apple has relented and approved Epic's previously rejected submission.

Epic Games and Apple have been engaged in a years-long battle over Apple's closed App Store ecosystem, and Epic has been eager to launch its own marketplace in the EU under Apple's new policies driven by the Digital Markets Act.

Article Link: Apple Approves Epic Games Store for iPhone and iPad in EU
Epic games who cares games on the computers and stuff are just stupid

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If there is any actual truth to this...

with Apple reportedly claiming that an "Install" button and "in-app purchases" labels were too similar to Apple's own elements for the App Store.

Then Apple was wrong, as a consistent user interface has always been core to Apple's mission. Why would they go against their own Human Interface Guidelines?

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
Glad I’m not in the EU. Don’t want to have to defend against that Epic Malware.
Do you think the European Commissioner for Competition is sending an anti-Apple taskforce to our homes and threatening us with deportation if we don't immediately use the Epic Game Store on our iPhones and iPads?

You don't seem to grasp the basics of what's going on here, so I have to stress that's not at all what's happening here.

We just got more options for what games we can play on iPhone/iPad. That's all.

There's nothing to "defend against". It's just more choices, more competition in the market.

EU iPhone and iPad owners that want to stick with Apple's App Store will experience zero change.

The_Gream

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2020
So I can finally stop hearing Epic Games whine and complain?! Like seriously, it's like a toddler throwing a tantrum just because their whole attempt to beat Apple failed miserably in the US with Epic v. Apple. The concerns Apple laid out were pretty valid. Think about it. If they let Epic get away with similar designs, what would stop the other marketplaces from doing the same in a more malicious way?
Sorry to burst your bubble: but Epic will still complain. Problems will pop up and they will blame Apple. They will complain they can’t use their store in other places etc…

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble: but Epic will still complain. Problems will pop up and they will blame Apple
...and probably rightly so.

Apple are being petty and trying to throw wrenches where and for whatever they can.

Time for another for a few more hundreds of millions (or a few billions) more fines until the meaning of "bona fide compliance" becomes clear to Apple.

Last edited:

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Yeah I miss unreal tournament. UT 2004 was peak awesome, with vehicles. Thank goodness it's on Steam.
I played UT2004 a little while ago. I play every day.

Now, I want to see the Epic Games Store and if they'll be forced to be their best. What crazy things will the company do? Maybe, they'll be caught by the EU doing something wrong.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Epic argued that the rejection was "arbitrary, obstructive, and in violation of the DMA [Digital Markets Act]" and that it was reporting the issue to the European Commission

How expected. Epic has acted like a child for years, it makes sense they'd threaten to run and tell the teacher.

Those that install this crapware deserve everything they get.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
The Switch and PS5 console platforms have the best games, despite them charging developers the same 30% just to publish their games.
Great!

So if Epic charge only 12% and Apple charges 30%, does that means Apple gets the best games?
If Apple can charge 30%, more power to them.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Great!

So if Epic charge only 12% and Apple charges 30%, does that means Apple gets the best games?
If Apple can charge 30%, more power to them.
Well, Epic was also in the news recently for purportedly trying to sue Valve.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2024...ocs-reveal-epic-ceos-anger-at-steams-30-fees/

Valve apparently also charges a higher fee than Epic, and still more developers choose to make their games available on Steam compared to the Epic games store.

Skimming through the comments, I gather that 12% is not profitable for Epic, their interface and infrastructure sucks, and the customer base simply isn't there (which probably explains why Epic has to resort to exclusives to get users in the door).

I really am not sure what Epic's endgame is, when they seem to spend more effort on lawsuits than actually improving their own backend.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I gather that 12% is not profitable for Epic
Sweeney estimates the costs are below 7% of gross revenue in the article you (almost ;) linked.
That leaves room for profitability, once the ramp-up costs go down.
Epic was also in the news recently for purportedly trying to sue Valve.
Where? Were they? 🤔
I haven't found anything to that effect.

Reactions: dingdini
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.