Corrupt Windows profile? Slow logins

So, I think I have a corrupted profile. My login time is up to about 30s. Its like its trying to run something but can't find it or its timing out or something. I turn off all startup processes via the Task Manager page, but no change. I've also done the dism/sfc two-step which found nothing wrong. I created a new user/profile and it logs in really quickly so its not system-wide.

I've been trying to find something that captures logs of the login process to see if I can figure out what's causing it and fix/remove the offending bit, but haven't been successful. I even used CCleaner to see if it found any registry or other references to things that don't exist. It did find some referencing my old NAS, but cleaning those out didn't do anything. I even did a regedit session manually looking for that old NAS and deleting the references. No change to login. I've run Windows Defender and MBAM scans in safe mode. Nothing.

And all the tips on "corrupt profile" and/or "slow login" -- even on Microsoft's "forum" -- recommend that if the dism/sfc two-step doesn't fix the problem, then create a new profile and copy files over and reinstall programs as needed.

Is this really the solution in 2024? We've been wiping/recreating profiles since ... since I don't even remember when? Windows NT?

Anyone think of anything else I can try before I wipe my profile and start over?

In Task Scheduler, I have a few things for Dropbox, Microsoft Edge Update, and One Drive. If I disable things in "startup apps", does that affect the ones in Task Scheduler that are triggered at login?

Edit: well that didn't seem to matter; I disabled everything in Task Scheduler and tried the login again; still the long wait.

All my 'cached' network locations in the Windows Explorer address bar all appear to reference my current NAS, not the old one. I don't have network locations displayed in my default Explorer setup.

Whittey

Ars Tribunus Militum
I know it's possible to record everything you want to know using ETW, but holy crap the documentation is just generally terribad. Easiest way to get involved with it us using the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (WADK), which will include Windows Performance Recorder (WPR) and Windows Performance Analyzer (WPA). Back in ye olden days you'd use xperf, but that's been deprecated.

ETW is an incredibly useful tool in some scenarios. I'm on the Server/Storage side of things rather than desktops, but I've used it to dig down to individual disk IO's and their timing, queue sizes at various times, etc. It's a really neat tool. Spoiler is a screenshot of my storage "disk service time" being (mostly) under 1ms (service time is in µs also), but because of the huge queue the IOs are taking ~380ms.
1720190192530.png

Some links:
WADK
WPR
WPA

Reactions: continuum