Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Beryl's eye pass over my house this morning. I had 10 minutes to assess the damage before the wind kicked up again. My visible damage to any structures. The front yard is covered in tree limbs, the biggest 2 inches thick.

No power. As of now over half of Houston has no power.:(

The only positive is that my wife and kids are having fun in Vietnam right now. Since it's just me, I'll Bear Grylls a day or so.
And Houston is freaking huge. Hope we all get power back soon. I know we, my neighborhood won’t until some linemen show up to remove this power line from the roofs of our houses and hang it where it’s supposed to be. 🤗

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
Bit late to the Original Story (glad you survived Teh B), but I just happened to have a screenie of the MyRadar app that I regularly use.

MyRadar_hurricane-track.jpg

I `capped that specifically, just because it seemed like B had a grudge against Detroit ;)

Reactions: Huntn

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Seeing as how my neck of the woods will be hot AF over the next week, I was curious and went looking for the temperatures from 6 months ago. Imagine my surprise that almost 6 months to the day, we are at the polar opposite of the spectrum in terms of temps 😐.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.46.49 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 10.47.30 AM.png

I vividly remember taking my dog out for a 5 minute walk that week in January and I had to run back inside because it was -3 fahrenheit and my fingers, face and toes immediately started hurting, even with cold weather gear on. Fast forward 6 months and I'm in the same boat again. Can only be outside for 5-10 minutes before it becomes dangerous and the forecast is calling for 110+ tomorrow 🥵

• Sad

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Beryl Aftermath Day 3, Wed, 10July
On Sunday I had made a down payment to Lowe’s for installation of the natural gas standby generator, so I feel good about that.

Houston started with 2+M without power. They have a reported 11000 personnel deployed to restore power. The goal is to have restored power to 1 million by tonight. Having a power line laying on your house qualifies as “an emergency” but have not seen any repair crews around. Via the Ring network crews are reported to be working in the Development.

I’ve got a Westinghouse WGen7500 - 7500 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator. In 2 days. I’ve burned about 20 gallons of gas which is better than I projected. Maybe because we are being frugal with electrical usage which the more used the, higher the gas consumption. I told my Dad that I have AC in a bedroom, a refridgerator, TV, internet, microwave, and computer. He had the nerve to ask me “so what have you sacrificed?” Well, although I could be playing games on my computer, it generates too much heat in an un-airconditioned office. 😛

Plus, I went out on my first sojourn for gas. Via the Gas Buddy App, an area just North of us was reported to have gasoline. A short drive, I reached a point where the traffic lights were working, exciting! ;) The first 3 gas stations I passed were out of gas, but I hit pay dirt at Walmart. About 20th in line, with 16 pumps, I waited 20 minutes, not bad, not bad at all. So now I’m back up to having 50 gallons of gas, which might represent 5 days of power. We’ve spent the last 2 early evenings after the Sun is behind the trees, in the pool cleaning debris from the pool. It’s looking pretty good now, but really needs the pool cleaner going for the finishing touches, which requires electric.

Of interest a small neighborhood Kroger is open (self powered) I assume with natural gas generators, but not their refrigerated section, which is all going into dumpsters. However, the Local H.E.B.grocery is open and completely self powered so refridgerator and frozen items are available. The funny thing about the H.E.B. Is that when they built it, instead of building it up above the surrounding land, they left it sunken several feet, so when it rains hard, the water drains into that parking lot, and if high enough into the store, so if they can stay above water,, they’re golden! ;)

IMG_3166.jpeg
climbing rose before…

IMG_3275.jpeg
Climbing rose after, but after removing the limb, the rose is in pretty good shape.

IMG_3270.jpeg
Tropical jungle cement pond. That’s not a down tree on the right but our weeping cedar.

IMG_3272.jpeg
neighbor 1

IMG_3273.jpeg

neighbor2

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: StellarVixen

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The nemesis tree, this pine used to be 30’ taller. About 7 years ago a TStorm ripped off the top 15’ that landed on our back cement fence. With Beryl, about another 10’ came off and landed almost in the same spot, but on one of our roses. The good news is if it ever topples in a certain direction, it will no longer reach the house.

Heard someone on the radio explained that the reason our electrical utilities are above ground, cheaper to repair. What about much more likely to be damaged during an event, notice the power lines duh… 🙄

IMG_3271.jpeg

Last edited:

sjsharksfan12

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2020
San Jose, CA
In the winter I started to miss the nice summer days. In the Summer I wish it rained. Really hate this heat wave that feels like it's all over the country and will never end.

Of course it doesn't detract from the Hurricane that is hitting Texas and I hope anyone impacted will make it through ok.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Beryl Aftermath Day 3, Wed, 10July

View attachment 2395956 climbing rose before…

View attachment 2395955 Climbing rose after, but after removing the limb, the rose is in pretty good shape.

View attachment 2395953 Tropical jungle cement pond. That’s not a down tree on the right but our weeping cedar.

View attachment 2395952 neighbor 1

View attachment 2395954
neighbor2
Yowzer. It looks like your neighborhood got hit harder than mine. My street it's mostly broken branches. The worst I've seen in my neighborhood is a 2 foot in diameter tree snapped in half, but fell away from their house. A few downed fences, but nothing major.

Other than a 2 days of power loss, my house took zero damage.🤗 The massive oak (7 foot diameter trunk) took the brunt of the wind. It littered my entire front yard with midsize limbs. It took me half a day to pile it up for heavy trash pickup.

There were several stranded cars on the street on my way to work on Monday. 'Merica, y'all. It could be the end of the world, but you're still expected at work.😑 Irony of ironies, we had no power at work. They lost power 30 minutes before I arrived.😐 A lot of thumb twiddling until the boss decided the winds had calmed enough (down to 40mph) for use to go home safely.

• Wow
Reactions: Huntn and Herdfan

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Beryl Day 4 Aftermath 11 July, North Houston Suburbs. I hear chain saws! We might get power back today. 😁

Survival tip 15:
What happens when a hurricane blows though and you get in your car to fetch more gas for your generator and the car does not start? …because someone left a door cracked and ran down the battery? 🤔

You break out your handy Avapow or similiar brand standby battery. It’s got a lot of juice and in emergencies vcan be use to power your phone and tablet. I’ve got one in each car.

IMG_0352.jpeg

IMG_0353.jpeg

Reactions: Herdfan and Mousse

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Agree. I have one in each car, daughter's car and my SXS. Although I do wonder about its ability to start my truck.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Beryl Aftermath Day6, Sat 13July, North Houston suburbs- Got power back yesterday at 14:40. 🕺🏻Many homes still without power, apparently many lines down. Reportedly 11000 linemen working on getting power back up, talked to nice gentlemen from Virginia and Tennessee here helping out. A big thank you to all helping hands! (Even though they probably won’t see it.) Some good vibes sent out. 😇

In 4 days, via portable generator I used 45 gallons of gas, 12 gallons per day. It made life bearable, refrigerator, internet, and AC in 1.5 rooms.

Reactions: Herdfan

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Yeah, but that is a 4 or 6 cylinders. I have a high compression 6.7L V8 diesel. The truck already has 2 large batteries. ;)
Diesel requires 2-3x the amp to jump start compared to gas engine. You have to do a bit of research to find a portable jumper.

I have one that's advertised as 1000 amps. It jump starts a Lexus LX570 no problem. I question it's ability to jump start a 3L diesel.

• Wow
Reactions: Huntn and Herdfan

avro707

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2010
It's about 8:20am today and still 5ºC. Earlier was about 3ºC, same yesterday. Not very pleasant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.