Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pete_202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Sorry if this is such a basic question but,

I have a Yamaha HS8 sub which has the choice of TRS and XLR inputs but only XLR outputs back to the monitors. The audio interface I am looking at getting (Focusrite 2i2 4th Gen) has only TRS outputs. Is it OK to run TRS into the sub and XLR out to the monitors? I have heard some people say it is 'unprofessional' to mix connection types but I don't really have much of a choice. Reading other posts on here I don't think it will make any difference in the real world. Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
It doesn’t make any difference - they are connecting the same thing in the same way - just a different shape -
for example my Apogee Duet has TRS outputs and my Mackie HR625s have XLR & TRS Connections - it doesn’t matter
which kind I use - but I have TRS to XLR Cables so I use those.

Pete_202

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2020
Great. Many thanks for the confirmation. I read the linked article which drove the point home.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Sorry if this is such a basic question but,

I have a Yamaha HS8 sub which has the choice of TRS and XLR inputs but only XLR outputs back to the monitors. The audio interface I am looking at getting (Focusrite 2i2 4th Gen) has only TRS outputs. Is it OK to run TRS into the sub and XLR out to the monitors? I have heard some people say it is 'unprofessional' to mix connection types but I don't really have much of a choice. Reading other posts on here I don't think it will make any difference in the real world. Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Yes it's ok. The reason the 4th get has TRS outputs but XLR inputs is because an XLR-only output is still a common feature of both dynamic and phantom-powered condenser mics, whereas monitors often feature TRS inputs. Both the XLR ins and TRS outs are balanced, so there should be no RF/EM interference end to end.

What audio engineers actually mean when they say "don't mix" is they mean do not hop from balanced to unbalanced when you can avoid it. Since we're talking about monitors and not instruments that typically have an unbalanced T/S (as opposed to TRS) connection, there's no need of a DI box in this equation.

Reactions: Pete_202

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
It doesn’t make any difference - they are connecting the same thing in the same way - just a different shape -
for example my Apogee Duet has TRS outputs and my Mackie HR625s have XLR & TRS Connections - it doesn’t matter
which kind I use - but I have TRS to XLR Cables so I use those.
Are you sure the TRS are differential? The XLR is for sure. But many TRS are single ended. Generally if the TRS caries a mono (single track) and is 1/4" it is diferential.

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Are you sure the TRS are differential? The XLR is for sure. But many TRS are single ended. Generally if the TRS caries a mono (single track) and is 1/4" it is diferential.
TRS Can carry two signals - in your situation they don’t - it is a balanced signal - I use TRS to XLR for my Apogee and Mackie Speakers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.