Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subarctic5216

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2024
Back in the day "it just works" iTunes was pretty good. Those that recall the days of "cover flow" or as some call it a jukebox view. Though I didn't much use that feature, the software in general was easy enough for most to use and for those need a bit more, there were reasonable settings and some third party tools. Today's "Music" seems more like a vehicle to get you to buy than to play back first. For now, I let Music organize some of my files and have other software that I prefer for playback.
Totally agree. I use the Apple Music app just for ripping CDs & syncing to iOS devices. Been using Plex for playing and creating playlists. Apple really mucked it all up with the "Apple Music app". I think they just want it for us to Subscribe to the Apple Music Service and bricked all the great features iTune had.

Reactions: phrehdd

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I guess I'm confused, or maybe lucky? I've found the user experience with Apple Music to be about the same as the old iTunes, especially with finding music and making playlists. I hit cmd+N, type the name, hit enter, then drag & drop the songs I want into it. Sometimes I right click and add it that way if I'm feeling spicy. Searching is pretty easy, and being able to type in lyrics to find the new song that I missed the name of is helpful too.

Cunir

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2021
i don't get why they haven't got a music widget on the mac, they've got a podcast one. it's bonkers

Reactions: Slix

dogface1956

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2022
I don't care much for the Apple Music program, like others have mentioned it seems like Apple is trying to get us to purchase music from them and I have no interest in low quality digital music and I to do prefer to listen to entire albums not single tracks (unless they are one hit wonders).

I use Swinsian which works for my purposes I have a very large music library 243,000 songs and counting. I'm working on my CD's, LPs and Reel-to-Reel tapes to be digitized most are in Hi-Res AIFF files, storage space is cheap so I have my music files loaded unto one 16TB OWC Gemini Ultra Drive, that is backed up to another 16TB OWC Gemini Ultra Drive to make sure that nothing happens to my precious music. I still have about 8,000 LPs and maybe 450 Reel-to-Reel tapes to digitize than all my music will be one place for easy access, I'm thinking it will take about 8 more years to get everything done.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Totally agree. I use the Apple Music app just for ripping CDs & syncing to iOS devices. Been using Plex for playing and creating playlists. Apple really mucked it all up with the "Apple Music app". I think they just want it for us to Subscribe to the Apple Music Service and bricked all the great features iTune had.
Your description is not unlike mine. It was a lot more fun back then. I built a pretty nice library at one time and it "simply worked."

Reactions: AlumaMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.