Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Just did some reading-up on the current scene in the UK with today's election and such......

Wow... OK, it looks as though you lot are also going to be in for a very interesting few months over the next little while! Overall, though, just from my reading and of course my perspective of being someone from another country and not involved in the current election situation over there anyway, that this could be a very refreshing (albeit in the beginning, potentially difficult but in the end good?) change for you and your country?.....

We are in for a shock I think. Not good.

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
You know that Chinese expression (whether it was/is observation, blessing, or curse, I have never quite worked out): May you live in interesting times.

Well, yes, I think that we are living in interesting times.

However, my beer is going down rather well....

Moreover, this is the sort of night when I remember just exactly why I do rather like the BBC.....

Beer. Often a recommended accompaniment for interesting times. Appropriate alternative -- Guinness, Whiskey (single malt, of course), Port, Brandy, etc, etc, etc.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Ugh, all these problems, from the flooded car to my own personal issues have been causing intense anxiety. I've not been having a good time these past few weeks, unfortunately.

I might go on a hike or something tomorrow, I REALLY need something like that. I'm sure my trip out west will help, too. Just going through a rough patch right now.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
We'll see, I am itching to say more but can't - just going to point out nothing will change regarding my sig (not the link).
Perhaps a bit belatedly, or maybe some element of maturity, as in acknowledging the passage of time, I have come to the reluctant realisation that pulling a proverbial all nighter - while I love them at the time, and am nocturnal by temperament - is no longer something that I can do without the sort of penalty that means suffering the following day.

Anyway, I may be itching to say more, and indeed, may well be also itching to imbibe some sort of celebratory beverage later tonight, I think that fatigue will hit me instead, and that I may seek out my bed, instead.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Having spent the night (and morning) absorbed with current affairs, I realised that I was completely out of bread.

This deficiency was remedied with a flying visit to the city, where I visited the French bakery (a baguette, and some sourdough, and some rye bread were purchased), treated myself to some cheese, (they forgot to keep cream for me), and returned some (overdue) library books.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
This is so odd!

For some strange, unaccountable, inexplicable reason, I'm full of hope and happiness and even optimism…

Even though outside it is typical UK weather and pouring down… but it seems in London the sun came out.

I think it's called "Change".

Perhaps a bit belatedly, or maybe some element of maturity, as in acknowledging the passage of time, I have come to the reluctant realisation that pulling a proverbial all nighter - while I love them at the time, and am nocturnal by temperament - is no longer something that I can do without the sort of penalty that means suffering the following day.

Anyway, I may be itching to say more, and indeed, may well be also itching to imbibe some sort of celebratory beverage later tonight, I think that fatigue will hit me instead, and that I may seek out my bed, instead.
Strange that, isn't it?
I have a bottle of something celebratory… unopened for the last 14 years! I hope it's still drinkable! 🤣

The Clark

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2013
Canada
Ugh, all these problems, from the flooded car to my own personal issues have been causing intense anxiety. I've not been having a good time these past few weeks, unfortunately.

I might go on a hike or something tomorrow, I REALLY need something like that. I'm sure my trip out west will help, too. Just going through a rough patch right now.
Highly recommend physical activity, it will naturally help you feel a lot better. The only downside is it can be hard to push yourself to be active during intense times of stress, but it is almost ALWAYS worth it. I hope things turn around for you.

Reactions: Matz and rm5

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
This is so odd!

For some strange, unaccountable, inexplicable reason, I'm full of hope and happiness and even optimism…
As am I.
Even though outside it is typical UK weather and pouring down… but it seems in London the sun came out.
Psychologically, yes, I agree.

The fact that my supposedly summer attire today includes a (fashionably black) woollen polo-neck and a flowing (rain proof) trench coat does not preclude believing that the sun is shining today.
I think it's called "Change".

For the better.
Strange that, isn't it?
No, it's not.

Or, rather, I feel the exact same.
I have a bottle of something celebratory… unopened for the last 14 years! I hope it's still drinkable! 🤣
Actually, I will not deny that a bottle of celebratory Chablis - and I love a good buttery Chardonnay that hails from Burgundy - is winking at me....

However, it is entirely possible that my state of jubilant exhaustion may mean that I am unable to do it (full and proper) justice tonight.

Reactions: arkitect

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Been so busy today that I really haven’t had a chance to read the detail on our election. Obviously I’m more than aware of the headlines.

Currently watching the Spain versus Germany game. Entertaining for the neutral.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard

Character-building times will happen throughout your life. It's only the way you respond to them that matters--with grace, of course.

Even at almost 65, I'm feeling that way many days.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

One thing that helps: posting about frustrations like this in these forums. I'm serious. Venting online helps you let off steam and get some well-deserved sympathy (or even a suggestion).

DaveFromCampbelltown

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2020
I am peeved that in a recent election Elmo stood against a wanna-be Prime Minister, and Elmo lost!!!.

What is wrong with the world...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I was responding on another thread to some young people who believe that the world owes them something.

Remember when life was fair? I don't.

Imagine if they'd grown up in a country where they had to search for food daily, not in the grocery store, but in the wilderness. They wouldn't have to worry about their car insurance, tattoos, their phone, but only survival.

Reactions: rm5

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I was responding on another thread to some young people who believe that the world owes them something.

Imagine if they'd grown up in a country where they had to search for food daily, not in the grocery store, but in the wilderness. They wouldn't have to worry about their car insurance, tattoos, their phone, but only survival.

I'm very grateful to have only first-world problems, like when my Internet service gets slower or when my new gizmo is coming in the mail a day later than I expected. Woe is me!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not watching the football? Sleep well.
No.

No football; other matters claimed my (absorbed) attention.

I was in bed by 21.30 (which never happens; I'm naturally nocturnal by habit, preference, temperament and inclination) and fell asleep almost immediately - I can barely recall my head hitting the pillow - until a few minutes ago when the glory of some early morning rays of sunlight disturbed my (well-earned) slumber.

These days, - by late the following evening - I feel the effects of having pulled a proverbial all-nighter in a way that was never the case when I was considerably younger.

Reactions: bousozoku

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
No.

No football; other matters claimed my (absorbed) attention.

I was in bed by 21.30 (which never happens; I'm naturally nocturnal by habit, preference, temperament and inclination) and fell asleep almost immediately - I can barely recall my head hitting the pillow - until a few minutes ago when the glory of some early morning rays of sunlight disturbed my (well-earned) slumber.

These days, - by late the following evening - I feel the effects of having pulled a proverbial all-nighter in a way that was never the case when I was considerably younger.
That is the trouble with getting older.
Late nights, a few beers, a small injury.

They all take so much longer to recover.

Here I had a very broken nights sleep. Not long been awake which is a very late start for me.

Right better get started on that run. Or I’ll be behind all day again.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That is the trouble with getting older.
Late nights, a few beers, a small injury.

They all take so much longer to recover.

Here I had a very broken nights sleep. Not long been awake which is a very late start for me.

Right better get started on that run. Or I’ll be behind all day again.
Well, I am rested, recovered, and recuperated.

However, while I was in the shower, the sky clouded over, - it had been unnaturally bright and cheerful earlier (which reflected my mood), so, now (once again) it is threatening rain.

Time for a coffee, and, perhaps, a quick trip into the farmers' market.

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States

Ohhhh... yeah. I think I know what thread you're talking about.

Here's the thing--and I am certainly no exception: Young people are very unaware of not only what the world used to look like, but also the long-term effects of economic issues. And there's nothing we can do about it--it seems you learn more as you get older, and are therefore more attuned to such things. So I think it's a matter of talking and listening to a variety of "older people" (whatever that might mean). That way, as people my age get older, we know what to look out for.

Hope I'm making sense here--it feels like the thoughts going through my head and the words I'm writing here aren't aligning...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.