Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
I’m curious... Are there any real consequences if Apple does not, in some form, meet that “two-year transition” commitment? I guess it just seems like, with all the additional factors at play these days, it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t quite make that timeline.

Also, how far in advance might they feasibly announce something ahead of production? Say the Mac event is late October. I guess it could be several months— they announced the 2019 Mac Pro at WWDC, no?
Didn’t they announce d the two year transition to Silicon at WWDC 2020? We’re past that two year transition by that reckoning… and given the pandemic and all the other stuff goign on I think the 2 year transition is doing well to be as far along as it is…

Reactions: rumz

pshufd

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Didn’t they announce d the two year transition to Silicon at WWDC 2020? We’re past that two year transition by that reckoning… and given the pandemic and all the other stuff goign on I think the 2 year transition is doing well to be as far along as it is…

They have a lot of excuses available if they don't get it done.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
I am too. I think there will be some modularity - but it will be proprietary, and a huge arrogant mistake by Apple.

I, like many, are being forced to consider a PC build.

The new RTX 4090s are going to rip the M2s apart for my needs. I'm a professional creator (3D, film, etc) and quite a lot of the intensive tasks I do are moving to GPU processing, and apart from the VRAM headroom, the GPUs just can't compete with a pair or quad RTX cards (particle dynamics, Octane/Redshift, etc).

The hope I have is that Apple forget about saving electricity, and sticking mobile-focussed silicone in a work station and unleash a monster in the Mac Pro.

My day rate won't struggle to cover the extra power consumption. But my time will have an issue with slow GPUs.

Let's see - we only have to wait a month or so to see into the future. Mac Pro vs Threadripper Pro & RTX 4090s.
I'm in the same boat and run a small motion graphics/3D animation studio and it's all about the GPU for me. Although we use render farms for final renders, it makes such a difference having powerful Nvidia GPUs to work with. I'm still impressed with what Apple has managed to do with their iGPUs but if they supported Nvidia GPUs it would be a game-changer.

Reactions: Snahbah

Ener Ji

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2010
They have a lot of excuses available if they don't get it done.
I recall them saying "about" two years, as well. Spring 2023 would be easy to justify as "about" two years, especially if the only product that takes that long is their lowest volume Mac.

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
I recall them saying "about" two years, as well. Spring 2023 would be easy to justify as "about" two years, especially if the only product that takes that long is their lowest volume Mac.
Also I think the longer the 'gap' between the announcement of the Intel Mac Pro in 2019 and the Silicon Mac Pro the better... I know a fair few folks who own Intel Mac Pros and aren't massively impressed that a MBP is now a more powerful machine and cost half the price...

Personally I'm probably right at the crossover point between a Mac Studio and Mac Pro... a Maxed out Mac Studio will do me very nicely... but no way to upgrade it in the future... or get a similar spec Silicon Mac Pro and upgrade it in time... if that's possible... I just want to know if thats going to be the case.

binarysmurf

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Western Australia
I’m curious... Are there any real consequences if Apple does not, in some form, meet that “two-year transition” commitment? I guess it just seems like, with all the additional factors at play these days, it wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t quite make that timeline.

Also, how far in advance might they feasibly announce something ahead of production? Say the Mac event is in late October. I guess it could be several months— they announced the 2019 Mac Pro at WWDC, no?
Are there real consequences? Realistically no., but making the announcement means that Apple have technically kept to the 2-year transition commitment they set themselves, and an announcement along with a "shipping in 6 months" caveat lets interested users plan for the purchase.

Reactions: rumz and Ener Ji

binarysmurf

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Western Australia
personally I'm probably right at the crossover point between a Mac Studio and Mac Pro... a Maxed out Mac Studio will do me very nicely... but no way to upgrade it in the future... or get a similar spec Silicon Mac Pro and upgrade it in time... if that's possible... I just want to know if thats going to be the case.

I think your post illustrates why  need to make some sort of announcement in the short term. One of my irritations with Apple is (in general) the complete lack of any sort of roadmap with regard to hardware releases.

Reactions: Ener Ji

dawnrazor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Auckland New Zealand
I think your post illustrates why  need to make some sort of announcement in the short term. One of my irritations with Apple is (in general) the complete lack of any sort of roadmap with regard to hardware releases.
Perhaps that’s what we’ll get in October… The Trashcan was so late to the party that the industry had moved on, but many people bought them just because they were better then their old Mac Pros… But the Trashcan Mac Pro really hurt the pro market and I know so many places and people that jumped over to PCs when the Trashcan was announced, just purely because of the lack of upgrade-ability. The 2019 Mac Pro addressed that with a return to that premise… but not the whole system on a chip hangs a massive question mark over what the 2023 Mac Pro will look like as far as being able to upgrade it… and I do wonder if it’s this side of things that has stopped it being released before now?

Perhaps we’’lol get an in-depth look at the new Mac Pro but it wont be released until next year…

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Are there real consequences? Realistically no., but making the announcement means that Apple have technically kept to the 2-year transition commitment they set themselves, and an announcement along with a "shipping in 6 months" caveat lets interested users plan for the purchase.
Yeah, I was just wondering about what that 2 year timeline means to Apple given that the Mac Pro is such a small piece of their business. I suppose it speaks to their commitment to the Mac platform in general, even for those who aren’t in the target market for the Mac Pro. (I also had forgotten that they had previously announced Mac Pros much further out than your typical Apple product.)

I do hope we hear something at the October event even if the availability is a number of months out.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
How many 4K monitors do we think a Mac Mini Pro would be capable of driving?
The M1 can drive 2, right? One via HDMI and one via Thunderbolt / USB-C? So Maybe an M2 Pro would possibly drive 3 (1 HDMI / 4k, 2 USB-C 5k or 6k), based on what the M1 Pro MBP can drive.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
The M1 can drive 2, right? One via HDMI and one via Thunderbolt / USB-C? So Maybe an M2 Pro would possibly drive 3 (1 HDMI / 4k, 2 USB-C 5k or 6k), based on what the M1 Pro MBP can drive.
That's what I'm hoping. I know there are hacks to let an M1 drive many monitors, but the # of screens this thing can drive is what decides whether I can go with the hypothetical M2 Mac Mini Pro or have to pay the Mac Studio premium.

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
That's what I'm hoping. I know there are hacks to let an M1 drive many monitors, but the # of screens this thing can drive is what decides whether I can go with the hypothetical M2 Mac Mini Pro or have to pay the Mac Studio premium.
Yeah I'm in a similar boat. It's one of those deal-breakers on the current mini and iMac for me. I wouldn't mind a Studio, but yeah I might be able to save a few hundred bucks if I can get a 32gb Mx Pro Mac mini that can drive a couple of 5k displays at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.