Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
A very interesting thread to read thru.
I really loved being a musician, but also had an aptitude for math/science. Got called down to the counselor's office in high school, met an Army Major and learned I got the highest PSAT score in Sioux Falls that year, he asked me to apply to West Point. I was into aircraft, and eventually got a 4-yr Air Force ROTC scholarship, and ME degree, all while playing in bands on the weekends. This continued for the next 37 years.
I got to see much of the world, and have enough time on TDYs to see the local "culture", and I loved that part of it. My disappointment was an utter lack of being able to climb the "corporate ladder"; as soon as I got up a rung or two, I'd get slapped back down to the bottom, both in Active Duty and again in Civil Service.
I'm retired now, four years, and financially comfortable, but... really disappointed. Yeah, I had fun, a LOT of fun, but did I make anything in this world better? Not really.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
I really loved being a musician, but also had an aptitude for math/science.
This particular sentence got to me.

I nearly failed all my math and science classes in high school. Senior year calculus I had a 47, until my teacher was just generous enough to let me retake a test to pass the class.

I, unfortunately, lack any and all knowledge in STEM. So a career in any of those fields is COMPLETELY out of the cards for me.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
This particular sentence got to me.

I nearly failed all my math and science classes in high school. Senior year calculus I had a 47, until my teacher was just generous enough to let me retake a test to pass the class.

I, unfortunately, lack any and all knowledge in STEM. So a career in any of those fields is COMPLETELY out of the cards for me.
The key is finding your particular skill-set, and chasing that down; it sounds like you're finding your path just fine! 👍

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Learning something new is closely related to your motivation to do so. Your motivation is closely related your ability to understand the relevance of the subject matter. Some teachers have a gift for making subject matter relevant and meaningful but many do not. You have the capacity to understand more than you currently believe you do. Even something as esoteric as quantum physics. For instance, check this article out:

The relevance could be that humans are approaching the point of truly understanding the universe we live in. The results of this work may start to unravel the core questions of human existence related to who are we, why are we here and where are we going.

Reach out to friends to seek the relevance and that may provide you with the motivation. Once you have the motivation there are no limits to what you can learn.

noannualfee

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2022
I'm a consultant for a healthcare plan. I look at their member's complaints, audit the care they received, and inform them of any gaps that they need to investigate. I work 100% from home and plan to retire with this job.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A very interesting thread to read thru.
I really loved being a musician, but also had an aptitude for math/science. Got called down to the counselor's office in high school, met an Army Major and learned I got the highest PSAT score in Sioux Falls that year, he asked me to apply to West Point. I was into aircraft, and eventually got a 4-yr Air Force ROTC scholarship, and ME degree, all while playing in bands on the weekends. This continued for the next 37 years.
I got to see much of the world, and have enough time on TDYs to see the local "culture", and I loved that part of it. My disappointment was an utter lack of being able to climb the "corporate ladder"; as soon as I got up a rung or two, I'd get slapped back down to the bottom, both in Active Duty and again in Civil Service.
I'm retired now, four years, and financially comfortable, but... really disappointed. Yeah, I had fun, a LOT of fun, but did I make anything in this world better? Not really.
I think few individuals are in a position, are motivated, and have the aptitude to make the world “a better place”. So I would not feel bad about that. Most of us contribute on a small scale, and really are motivated by what appeals to us. So do most of us do things motivated by making the world a better place? I’ll say no, but along the lines of what we do what we can, help as far as our programming allows to. Also you can observe the state of the World today and well… I’ve decided I’m enjoying my trip to the Earth Simulator, otherwise there might be grounds to be depressed. ☺️

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think few individuals are in a position, are motivated, and have the aptitude to make the world “a better place”. So I would not feel bad about that. Most of us contribute on a small scale, and really are motivated by what appeals to us. So do most of us do things motivated by making the world a better place? I’ll say no, but along the lines of what we do what we can, help as far as our programming allows to. Also you can observe the state of the World today and well… I’ve decided I’m enjoying my trip to the Earth Simulatot, otherwise there might be grounds to be depressed. ☺️
More importantly don’t make the world a worse place! Be considerate of others. Be a good friend. Don’t squander resources.

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Coming up on 40 years of a very bad enterprise IT habit/career :)

Started with CP/M running PeachText on Heathkit/Zenith H89's, Dial-up ARPANET access

Then dial-up Internet access 1200 bps for starters

PC Board BBS sysop with USRobotics ISA card internal 2400 bps modem and eventually USR Dual Standard 9600/14.4Kbps modem.

3Com Open+, LanTastic networking (then Banyan VINES, Novell Netware 2 on up, Windows NT 3 on up to today), Linux beta kernel on up, BSD SunOS up to 4.x then Solaris SVR4 through v9, Silicon Graphics Irix, OS X Kodiak on up to the latest MacOS)

Livingston internet routers then all manner of Cisco stuff, starting with AGS routers on up to modern big data center stuff.

Virtualization with VMware 2.5 to now (just dumped all related gear and software for Nutanix AHV and storage nodes).

Cloud stuff: AWS since 2006 and now other ones too.

Kubernetes since 2020 (Redhat OpenShift, K3S, K8S, etc.) and AI/ML stuff soon after.

Reactions: eyoungren

Thirio2

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2019
Maryville, IL
After 1 year in a very tough engineering school I decided engineering wasn’t for me. After 1 semester in a liberal arts university I asked myself what kind of job was that school preparing me for, so went back to engineering school and applied myself seriously. Got what I thought was the worid’s best job offer in research with a guaranteed deferment (Vietnam war era). It turns out the frontiers of science push back very slowly and the job turned out to be boring to me. After 5 years I asked to transfer to a refinery and never looked back. I thourally enjoyed refining because there was something different almost every day. I don’t remember who said it but if you love your job you will never work a day in your life. Now I just mooch off the government and use retirement savings.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Most of us contribute on a small scale,

I try for sure. Once I became a parent and my daughter got into swimming, I have spent many a weekend standing on a pool deck as an official. Still do even though she is 6 years removed from the sport.

I have also tried to seek out those parents who gave their time to make sure that I as a kid had a place to play ball and the volunteers to make it all work. They deserve my thanks.

If me showing up allows a bunch of kids to get their meet in, then I feel I contributed something.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Hello all,

I hope you don't find my question impertinent.

The reason I ask is that I've reached a phase in my life, where I don't know where to turn next.

Currently thinking about self-studying, to become a developer. My dream would be to travel the world with my MacBook, iOS devices, and develop apps, as I stay in nice hotels and meet nice people from all over the globe.

Is this an unrealistic dream? I don't know. I'm sure there are many people who do this, though?

So, If you don't mind sharing, what do you do?

My mind is open, so I'm willing to consider most things at this point.

Wising you all well.
I worked in Human Resources for 35 years and 44 years at the same company. Retired for 7 years - best job ever.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Retired. Over 40 years in IT as a mainframe software developer, consultant and support role. I just ended my second career as a media and technology director for a local non-profit. I found both careers quite rewarding, but in different ways. The challenge of software development and support in corporate America was equally rewarding, though at times was fraught with a changing corporate environment. I spend over 33 years with a single company and saw a lot of change to the corporate world...was ready to retire when the opportunity presented itself. After a couple years of not working, I felt the urge to get back in the game, albeit on a smaller scale. After a few years in that role, I was ready to step down and enjoy life. I still dabble in tech, specifically in the Apple world, though mostly for personal enjoyment at this point. I still serve as tech support for my friends and family - probably a job that will never end.

I now spend my time enjoying family, walking our new pup, and traveling with my wife.

Last edited:

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I've been flying airplanes for a living for a little more than 20 years. Was a software developer for a few years prior to that.
I've heard pros/cons about being a pilot but personally, I couldn't imagine a cooler job. As someone who has always wanted to be a pilot, I have a hard time hiding my jealousy whenever I see captains walking around the airport lol.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I've heard pros/cons about being a pilot but personally, I couldn't imagine a cooler job. As someone who has always wanted to be a pilot, I have a hard time hiding my jealousy whenever I see captains walking around the airport lol.

Heh - the pros and cons you've heard are probably all accurate! Like any job it's not perfect, but as someone that loves being around airplanes, I feel pretty privileged to get to do it. :)

noannualfee

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2022
I think few individuals are in a position, are motivated, and have the aptitude to make the world “a better place”. So I would not feel bad about that. Most of us contribute on a small scale, and really are motivated by what appeals to us. So do most of us do things motivated by making the world a better place? I’ll say no, but along the lines of what we do what we can, help as far as our programming allows to. Also you can observe the state of the World today and well… I’ve decided I’m enjoying my trip to the Earth Simulator, otherwise there might be grounds to be depressed.

I’d like to think my tiny contribution helps healthcare in some way for someone.

Loving my job and hoping social security still exists to add icing to this amazing 401K and pension of mine.

Reactions: Huntn and eyoungren

splifingate

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
I think few individuals are in a position, are motivated, and have the aptitude to make the world “a better place”. So I would not feel bad about that. Most of us contribute on a small scale, and really are motivated by what appeals to us. So do most of us do things motivated by making the world a better place? I’ll say no, but along the lines of what we do what we can, help as far as our programming allows to. Also you can observe the state of the World today and well… I’ve decided I’m enjoying my trip to the Earth Simulator, otherwise there might be grounds to be depressed. ☺️

As the old (or new (or weird (if that makes sense to you)) Saying goes:

"One hundred pennies make-up a Dollar."

You don't have to be a Player, or solid-copper/gold, or turn the necks of a thousand people to affect change.

All you need is the willingness to be your Self, and maintain the courage to share that with the rest of teh World :)

You can inhabit 'depressed' as much as you want, Huntn; I'll even live with you there for a bit <wink>

My gift to you--if such a thing were possible--is the promise in the hope that each--and every--thing we do contributes; enhances; and elevates all those that we touch.

This is not a Simulation :)

Reactions: Huntn and eyoungren

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I was a combat medic when I was young and invincible. Became a car hauler ( class 8 truck driver ) while I completed a BS in CS. Became a mobile device manager for about 30,000 devices. Completed a MS in CS (AI/ML) at GaTech. Started two companies (which really means I sent the state about $100 for each) and have recently (started this month after a well deserved vacation in Japan) been trying to win a few government contracts. Maybe I will get lucky!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.