Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 17.38.35.jpg

Planning to read these 3 books.
I've read Dune a long time ago, can't remember much. Watched the film Dune 2 by chance, so the interest.
I've never read John Ajvide Lindqvist books before, this is the 1st one. Reading at the moment. Too early to say anything, a disturbing story. I've read quite a few books by Yrsa Sigurðardóttir. Very nice books. Very capable translator(s).

Reactions: VisceralRealist

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Just got a book on a spontaneous purchase at the local bookstore. La Défaite de l'Occident (The Defeat of the West) by French historian Emmanuel Todd. I have read other works by him and Monsieur Todd does give an alternative view which I feel is interesting and necessary.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Just got a book on a spontaneous purchase at the local bookstore. La Défaite de l'Occident (The Defeat of the West) by French historian Emmanuel Todd. I have read other works by him and Monsieur Todd does give an alternative view which I feel is interesting and necessary.
That sounds most interesting; is it available in an English translation?

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Definitely looks interesting. I'll refrain from any detailed comment on its premise to avoid "political discussion", but here's an interesting review from Jacobin to get a sense of what it's about:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Definitely looks interesting. I'll refrain from any detailed comment on its premise to avoid "political discussion", but here's an interesting review from Jacobin to get a sense of what it's about:

Fascinating review, and thank you for taking the time and trouble to post it.

Reactions: VisceralRealist

chmania

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2023
I read that book Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and started reading another one by the same author, Handling the Undead. At the beginning I wasn't that happy to read Let the Right One In, but slowly it got hold of me, and now I am half way with the 2nd book by him. This one is even stranger than the first one. Most probably, I'd reading his other books too.
Screenshot 2024-06-04 at 19.38.39.jpg

Last edited:

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I just finished Red Side Story by Jasper Fforde. It is a fantasy/science fiction dystopian novel, and I enjoyed it very much. It is a sequel to his previous novel Shades of Grey. While Red Side Story stands alone, the previous novel does provide additional background details. The book is about a society who is hierarchy is based on the ability to see distinct colors.

An entertaining and engaging story, which I highly recommend.

IMG_7130.jpeg

scubachap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2016
UK
I just finished Red Side Story by Jasper Fforde. It is a fantasy/science fiction dystopian novel, and I enjoyed it very much. It is a sequel to his previous novel Shades of Grey. While Red Side Story stands alone, the previous novel does provide additional background details. The book is about a society who is hierarchy is based on the ability to see distinct colors.

An entertaining and engaging story, which I highly recommend.

View attachment 2385148
I loved his Thursday Next books - a great fun series

Reactions: Chuckeee

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I’ve recently read three novels by Murakami: “Kafka on the shore”, “After Dark”, “The Wind-up bird chronicle”.

I loved all of them. “After Dark” is more a Lynchian novella than an actual full fledged novel, and it does the job wonderfully. “Kafka” and “Wind-Up” are incredible, it felt like stepping into a whole new world.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Murakami is one of my favorite authors and Kafka on the Shore is one of those books that blew me away when I read it and opened my mind up to new ways of thinking about what literature could be. Kafka and Wind-Up Bird are high on my re-read list. :)
Agreed!
I have to decide which one is next: “1Q84” or “Norwegian Wood”?

Reactions: pachyderm

VisceralRealist

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2023
Long Beach, California
Agreed!
I have to decide which one is next: “1Q84” or “Norwegian Wood”?

Norwegian Wood is probably Murakami's most--for lack of a better term--"normal" novel. If you enjoy the other-worldly surreal aspects of Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka, Norwegian Wood isn't like that. It's still a beautiful novel, though.

1Q84 is of the other-worldly variety, and I liked it, but I also felt it was longer than it needed to be and parts of it were repetitive. I think if I had to rank my Top 5 Murakami it would be:

1. Kafka on the Shore
2. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
3. Killing Commendatore
4. 1Q84
5. Norwegian Wood

With the caveat that I haven't read everything yet, though I intend to. Looking forward to the release of The City and Its Uncertain Walls. :)

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Norwegian Wood is probably Murakami's most--for lack of a better term--"normal" novel. If you enjoy the other-worldly surreal aspects of Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Kafka, Norwegian Wood isn't like that. It's still a beautiful novel, though.

1Q84 is of the other-worldly variety, and I liked it, but I also felt it was longer than it needed to be and parts of it were repetitive. I think if I had to rank my Top 5 Murakami it would be:

1. Kafka on the Shore
2. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
3. Killing Commendatore
4. 1Q84
5. Norwegian Wood

With the caveat that I haven't read everything yet, though I intend to. Looking forward to the release of The City and Its Uncertain Walls. :)
Thank you!
I don’t mind reading a less surreal book by Murakami, actually it might be a good way to see how good he is at working with more credible scenarios.

I recommend that you take a look at After Dark, it’s pretty short but worth a read imo.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68020
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
I assume a good book. :)
Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir is a very good hard science fiction novel. Andy Weir is also well known as author of The Martian, which was also made into a successful movie of the same name. I thought Project Hail Mary was the better of the two but Andy Weir has a definite style/theme that is common across both novels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.