Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
This is total bs. I've tried everything to migrate VMware account > re-register and end up in a loop.
Broadcom offshore support is awful, the error messages are written by an offshore first grader, and the entire process is broken.

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
Nice idea if you can get it, but if you get it, won't you tell me how?

Broadcom site is just plain awful - I migrated my old VMWare account over, it sent me to "Semiconductors," first. Now it's just spinning on the attempt to download 13.5.2 Pro.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Check this thread:
this thread doesn't help.
The vmware sites are down and redirect to broadcom, which is BROKEN.

"Broadcom Account verification is Pending. Please try after some time."

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I've been trying to download this for two days now. The Broadcom website is utter trash. A corporate mess of page after page after page, and every download just fails. The most I've managed to get of this 750MB download is 22Kb.
this is what happens when you fire everyone.
And your support is rooted in the ghosts of Computer Associates.
We just cancelled a $2m contract with these clowns.

TSE

macrumors 601
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am glad that people now have a superior free option to UTM, but if you can pay for it or you make money with your virtual machine software, go for Parallels. The amount of time you are going to spend fiddling with VMWare to get subpar performance is just not worth it for a lot of people.

But again, this is extremely positive news and I'm happy for anyone that can make use of it.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
There are alternative download URLs here.

I have downloaded the Mac version and verified the checksum with the one listed on the official Broadcom download page and they match:

SHA-256: baaa201c797af8e32a2ec3ae78c69bfedbe5c5c7960c3673885bd84e42ddfbb9
MD5: 0601c5b92139b3cbab3eba68217f6576

PS: To check the file once downloaded, open a terminal in the download directory and run one of the following commands to generate the corresponding checksum, then compare it with the official ones. They must match exactly:

Code:
shasum -a 256 VMware-Fusion-13.5.2-23775688_universal.dmg

Or

Code:
md5 VMware-Fusion-13.5.2-23775688_universal.dmg

johannnn

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2009
Sweden
I recently evaluated Windows 10 virtualisation with both Parallels and VMWare, and VMware was way buggier. I ended up uninstalling it and buying another years license of Parallels.

Also, I don't like that it has had several security flaws, even one mentioned this month.

Reactions: trusso

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
I purchased the upgrade about a month prior to the changeover. I use it for business, so no free license for me.
I hope I did not make a mistake given all of the issues people are having getting access to download now. I did not have any issues with my account changeover to date. But, I guess there is always the chance that it will get tore up as well.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
But again, this is extremely positive news and I'm happy for anyone that can make use of it get verified and allow their piece of s-- support site to grant entitlement to previous software and free versions.
FIFY.

Reactions: neilw

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
This software is EOL with AS anyway. Effort should be to make legacy software run in Wine and forget running VM's with Windows. Asahi Linux is coming along nicely.

macOS and Windows should be open sourced so we can create a version of Wine running in Asahi Linux to run apps created for either OS.

Whywutt

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I use Parallels for those couple of Microsoft apps that don't work on Mac natively (mainly Visio). So clearly overkill. Have no complaints of the now proper ARM Windows 11 Pro release, but Parallels pricing has meant that I didn't renew, and have been struggling (albeit successfully) with Visio browser version.

This VMware free option sounds great for my use case, but having never tried VMWare before, if it doesn't work out, hopefully this will push down Parallels prices or create a free-tier product variant.

Reactions: trusso

StrangeNoises

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I've used VMWare since before 1.0 (there was a public beta) on Linux, and for a number of years actually paid for VMWare Fusion Pro, before finally realising (admitting?) that Fusion Player did everything I needed. It has always been, and remains, the best virtualisation. There's been a lot of doubt about whether Broadcom would break that, and we just don't know.

This seems like a positive move though, although like others have found the Broadcom support site is a complete sh---comedy sideshow at the moment, and I can't actually download a damn thing. Also, the in-app upgrade from Fusion Player 13.5.1 wasn't working for me. Luckily found a hacky way to download its update files directly, which turn out to just be the app anyway, so migration done.

I use it mainly on Apple Silicon to run Fedora Linux, but also have an install sitting on a barely used Intel iMac for running Windows 11.

Foreseen problem: Currently, like almost everything else you don't get from the app store, it's available as a cask in Homebrew. But I'm not sure that's going to be able to continue if there aren't official direct downloads of the app dmg available. If Broadcom keep trying to insist that you have a support sign-in, while their site barely works...

CptnJustc

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2007
Something I can't find with the site down: Anybody know if the Pro version for Windows offers a VNC server? IIRC, the free version did on Mac, but not Windows. Very useful for remotely controlling a VM that may be connecting to a work VPN.

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Not going to lie, I was expecting Broadcom to ruin VMware with subscriptions or something. This is a pleasant suprise. Though I guess they are still screwing over enterprise clients so that sucks.
Enterprise has money, personal customers, not so much. I'm ok with that.

Reactions: nt5672

diggy33

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
Northern Virginia
Switched to UTM a few months back and havent looked back. I will say though I had been a paying customer for Fusion Pro for years. I needed to be able to create macOS VM's, and Fusion lost that ability in 13, and UTM has filled that need nicely for me.

Reactions: notai

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Lack of folder sharing is really annoying, but I can't complain too much for free. Parallels is a non-option for me given subscription model; I only want to run a couple of freeware programs on Windows.

Gotta go set up an NFS drive or whatever the method is for sharing between the VM and the host.
Parallels can be purchased as one-time payment as well. It cost 129.99, but you can use the code POWER15 at checkout and get it for 110.49.

Otherwise, I recommend Crossover, for $64. It has a free trial, so you can see if it fit your requirements.
I used it to play Quake II without issues.

BoxOfSnoo

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
I stopped using Parallels after they were pushing subscription model. I have a Linux workstation, which can boot windows as needed. I am gonna try windows ARM/VM fusion on my M1 Max.
If you're running Linux anyway, you should investigate QEMU, I am running all sorts of VMs on my Unraid box with great performance.

Reactions: TechnoMonk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.