Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

VMware has announced that its Fusion Pro and Workstation Pro virtualization software is now free for personal use. For those unfamiliar with Fusion, it is designed to allow Mac users to operate virtual machines to run non-macOS operating systems like Windows 11.

vmware-fusion-pro-13.jpg

The decision to make the software free was made by Broadcom, which acquired VMware in November 2023. In a blog post announcing the change, Broadcom said the move was part of a plan to simplify how the company brings VMware apps to market:
Fusion Pro and Workstation Pro will now have two license models. We now provide a Free Personal Use or a Paid Commercial Use subscription for our Pro apps. Users will decide based on their use case whether a commercial subscription is required.

This means that everyday users who want a virtual lab on their Mac, Windows or Linux computer can do so for free simply by registering and downloading the bits from the new download portal located at support.broadcom.com.
Broadcom also said it had discontinued Workstation Player and Fusion Player, although existing customers can upgrade to the more feature-packed Pro version at no extra cost. Meanwhile, VMware Player will remain bundled with Workstation Pro.

Broadcom said that customers who use Fusion and Workstation at/for work will still require a paid commercial subscription, which can be purchased through an authorized Broadcom Advantage partner. For more information, see the VMware website.

Article Link: VMware Fusion Pro 13 Now Freely Available for Personal Use

Jhonjhon236

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2022
Not going to lie, I was expecting Broadcom to ruin VMware with subscriptions or something. This is a pleasant suprise. Though I guess they are still screwing over enterprise clients so that sucks.

Last edited:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Wow... Parallels is not going to like this very much at all. lol

VMWare used to be free in the past too. Broadcom have screwed up their acquisition of VMWare, losing trust of VMWare's clients.

Parrellels is garbage.. IMO. I used to buy it yearly but got expensive for what I needed it for.

It's great to see VMWare free again, especially since Virtual Box is still in developer preview for Apple Silicon and development at snails pace.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Links are hard to find, to put it mildly. If you have a Broadcom account and are logged in, you can download Workstation Pro (Windows or Linux) from here, supposing the website is functioning: https://support.broadcom.com/group/ecx/productdownloads?subfamily=VMware Workstation Pro

Or, command line download: wget https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/vmw-desktop/ws/17.5.2/23775571/windows/core/VMware-workstation-17.5.2-23775571.exe.tar

Edit: Fusion Pro downloads: https://support.broadcom.com/group/ecx/productdownloads?subfamily=VMware Fusion

2nd edit: Someone has mirrors posted (it's best to do your own checksum verification of the files):

Last edited:

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Last edited:
Reactions: Stonefly and jent

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Awesome! Have they made spinning up a Windows 11 ARM easy yet? I tried it a year or so ago and it was a nightmare to get working, where Parallels I was up and running in like 20 minutes.
I just did this last night. There is a "Get Windows from Microsoft" option, which downloads Windows 11 for you. You then have to do the install yourself, which isn't too difficult. It's not quite as seamless as Parallels though, which does the install automatically. Also, Unity mode does not work on Apple Silicon Macs. (Unity mode is similar to Parallels' Coherence mode.)

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
I just did this last night. There is a "Get Windows from Microsoft" option, which downloads Windows 11 for you. You then have to do the install yourself, which isn't too difficult. Not quite as seamless as Parallels though, which does the install automatically. Also, Unity does not work on Apple Silicon Macs. (Unity is basically Parallels' Coherence mode.)
Awesome, I'll have to give it a shot again. I could care less about Unity. I only use it in full screen mode. I in general isolate it as much as I can.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
How does Fusion compare to Parallels? I've Parallels for many years and have been satisfied with it. I tried Fusion once and couldn't get it working 100%.

psxp

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Ohhhh!! THis could be great news for me. I have an older version of Prarallels I bought but have not upgraded , and that Mac is on an older version of MacOS because of that. If This is a better alternative and works as well as Parallels I am in!

Reactions: ralph_sws

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Finding an ISO for ARM Windows and and drivers when I last tried VMWare was a nightmare on my M1 Pro
Check this thread:

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Awesome! Have they made spinning up a Windows 11 ARM easy yet? I tried it a year or so ago and it was a nightmare to get working, where Parallels I was up and running in like 20 minutes.
Yes.. Tried yesterday to test for a friend and it was very simple. Just have Fusion download the correct ISO (ARM) and good to go.

Reactions: fenderbass146
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.