Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 18 includes many new features for the iPhone, but not all of them will be available when the update is initially released in September.

Generic-iOS-18-Feature-Real-Mock.jpg

Below, we have listed all of the features that will not be available until a later version of iOS 18, according to Apple's website. The features should begin rolling out with iOS 18.1 in October and iOS 18.2 in December, with more to follow next year.

Mail Categorization

iOS-18-Mail-Categorization.png

In an update to iOS 18 coming later this year, the Mail app will gain four new categories powered by on-device intelligence:

• Primary: Personal and time-sensitive emails
  • Transactions: Receipts and confirmation emails
  • Updates: News and social media notifications
  • Promotions: Marketing emails and coupons
These categories will be available on devices set to English, and All Mail will remain an option.

The app will also be getting a new digest view that shows emails from a single business, such as various emails from United Airlines ahead of a flight.

Some Apple Intelligence Features

iOS-18-Siri-Personal-Context.png

A subset of Apple Intelligence features will be available on iPhone 15 Pro models and newer when iOS 18 is publicly released in September, but only with the device language set to U.S. English. The features will have a "preview" label initially.

On its Apple Intelligence page, Apple says "some features, additional languages, and platforms will be coming over the course of the next year," but the company has not shared specific details. In his Power On newsletter last weekend, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said some Siri features powered by Apple Intelligence are unlikely to launch until 2025, including personal context, on-screen awareness, and deeper per-app controls. He also said Apple Intelligence will not support additional languages or regions until next year.

Gurman does expect Siri's redesign and more natural voice on the initial release of iOS 18, along with Apple Intelligence features that can improve your writing, prioritize notifications, summarize messages, generate custom emoji, and more.

Control Robot Vacuums With Siri

Roomba-and-HomeKit-Feature.jpg

Robot vacuum support in the Home app is coming an update to iOS 18 later this year, allowing you to ask Siri to clean your floors and so forth.

Apple says the Home app will support the "core functionality" of robot vacuum cleaners, such as vacuuming, mopping, power control, cleaning mode, and charge status. Robot vacuums will also work with automations and scenes in the app.

Electricity Usage in Home App U.S. Only

Another new feature coming to the Home app in an update to iOS 18 later this year is the ability to view your home's electricity usage right in the app. This feature will be available for Pacific Gas and Electric Company customers in the U.S. who have residential electrical service, so long as they are the account owner or an authorized user.

Article Link: These iOS 18 Features Aren't Coming to iPhones Until iOS 18.1 or Later

rchornef

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Perhaps enable Siri via the "Home App" and HomePods to reliably turn on and off Phillips Hue lights via Hue bridge? That would be earthshaking. Siri's ability to do this has DEGRADED over time. Simple commands: lights on in (room name), lights off in (room name) or just lights off (when talking to HomePod located in the room in question) often fail to turn on or off all the lights. Reversing the command and then repeating the command then always works.

The Hue app on iOS has never failed in this functionality. Paired with the Home App and Siri/HomePods results in frequent idiotic stupidity behavior.

Now that Siri can be called using just Siri there have been 10x more numerous false activations. For example while some simple advertisement was playing on a TV, Siri activated and returned results speaking about the origin of the universe sourced from wikipedia. . .

Also most of my HomePods/Siri are often slow to "wake up" in the morning for lights/HomePod/Hue functionality (no joke). Asking Siri for the weather usually works as a wake up. Often also asking for the temperature outside does not work until after asking for the weather. Later on in the day these problems go away. . .

Always use the most up to date iOS and HomePod software versions. . .

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
As an American living abroad, with an iPhone from the country that I’m living, but set to US English, still won’t get Apple Intelligence features at launch? That’s rough.

Uinluan

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
Basically, anything that I was actually interested in, will be coming out at some undetermined date. Awesome. I already went back to my Samsung for now where I already have AI etc... The last two WWDC's have been disappointing and really show that innovation at apple has really slowed down outside of the AVP. Most of the features they did show as revolutionary or new were things that could have been added in a .1 or .2 release of the last couple of iOS operating systems.

coffeemilktea

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2022
I must be getting old, as having my email sorted automatically was the feature I looked forward to the most. 🙃

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021

Customization Setting to Hide the Home Bar in iOS 18​

View attachment 2389735

If you are annoyed by the presence of this home bar taking up screen space at the bottom of every app, please let Apple know:

Apple, please remove the home bar from my iPad!

-or-​

Apple, please remove the home bar from my iPhone!
Boy am I mad at you because your picture graphic was so professional it made me think that there was a way to do it already and you were sharing a link to the tutorial 😂

Easybook

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2014
I'm a fanboy but at this point its getting to be ridiculous. These changes and upgrades really are things that have been available on other os's for over a decade. I cant switch right now since Im so deep in the ecosystem, but just like how I entered in slowly, if apple becomes an overpriced clone....

tomchr9

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2024
What a mediocre update. At the very least, Apple should have made sure to be on par with requested features and customization that have been available on android for a loooong time:(. It speaks volumes that so many feature tweaks have been available for jailbroken iOS versions for quite some time, yet Apple keeps procrastinating.

Reactions: DOD250

macabrumorsab

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2017
Not surprised at all, specially regarding the AI features. It is an old Apple trick and behaviour:
  • Is there anything that Apple believe they have invented and nobody would do it before Apple's launch, they would NEVER EVER announce it in advance.
  • Are there features that others are already offering or are about to offer very soon, Apple simply "announce them" just to link those features with themselves. And of course, not to forget to invent fancy new names such as "on-screen awareness". The rest is done by YouTubers and influencers. The result is that the competition who either has already introduced those features or will bring them first before Apple's launch are accused to have copied them from Apple, i.e., exactly the opposite of what happens.
This behaviour is the cheapest way to pretend to be the forerunner while actually trying to catch up and to steal others' show.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
What a mediocre update. At the very least, Apple should have made sure to be on par with requested features and customization that have been available on android for a loooong time:(. It speaks volumes that so many feature tweaks have been available for jailbroken iOS versions for quite some time, yet Apple keeps procrastinating.

Apple just don't want iOS to be as customisable as Android. I'm even surprised by everything they've done in the last few years in this area.

I would have preferred for iOS not to become customisable but unfortunately Apple disagrees with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.