Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Never had any issues with the tap water in France.

My problem is that I am lactose intolerant, but I cannot resist the glorious cheese there, so I am in perpetual stomach pain, and in need of farting lol.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
And I managed to avoid capturing any people in it! :D

We took some friends who were in town to a place called Seven Sacred Pools. And there was a grandfather who was letting his grandson just play by one of the pools.

Several people were at the end wanting a pic without some random kid in it, but grandpa was clueless. Or just didn't care. Not sure which is worse. Some had to give up when their "jeep tour" left.

We hung around figuring they would have to leave at some point. But I will admit I laughed out loud when the kid lost his balance and fell into one of the pools. Now they are not very big, but he got soaked and since there were no tour operators there and we had the only SXS/Jeep, they were going to have to walk the mile or so out with a wet kid.

Karma at its best.

• Love
Reactions: Huntn and Chuckeee

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
We were in Santander, northern Spain the week before last and we'll be back again in September in our camper to drive down to the south for three weeks.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 10.12.41.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 10.12.41.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 22
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 10.12.45.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-21 at 10.12.45.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Love
Reactions: Huntn

VitoBotta

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2020
Espoo, Finland
I am just staying here in Finland, perhaps short trips somewhere around lakes. Unfortunately my wife can only take 2 days off since she has started a new job recently so we can't do much.

Reactions: Huntn

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
I just got back from Vietnam. I spent 2 week with my wife's family, so I didn't get gouged (tourist usually pay 4-5x what locals pay for stuff). I mostly avoided the tourist spots and the wife's family kept the street vendors honest.😁

My wife kept telling me to act like the locals so that I'd blend in. Honey, I can try to act like the locals, but with my accent...😬 Oh, they can tell from how you carry yourself that you're a foreigner.🤨 I lived like the locals and it was a blast. When in Saigon (HCM City), do as...🤗

Good gawd, the streets are wall to wall shops. Every block is a mini strip mall. What appears to be a back alley between shops turns out to be an entire neighborhood complete with street vendors of its own. I stayed with my wife's family in one of those back alley neighborhoods.😊

The first time riding a motorcycle/scooter in HCM City traffic was a brown trousers moment.😱 Holy 💩, it's as crazy as you see them in the YouTube videos. Law of the Jungle boys. The reason they managed and without multi-vehicle accidents is because everyone is reasonably courteous.

Crossing the street in that kind of traffic is not recommended unless you learn from the local how it's done. My niece showed me the way. Two rules: keep you eyes on the traffic and walk naturally. In the above Youtube video, you see a family walk across traffic at the 1:25 time stamp. That's how you cross the street. If you juke and jive like Frogger, you'd end up *splat* like Frogger.

You've seen humorous photos of people transporting everything from chickens to refrigerators on the back of motorcycles on the Internet. Welp, I got to experience that first hand. I sat in the back of a motorcycle holding onto 3 oversized framed pictures. I almost fell off.😓

The food. Oh man, the home cooked meals were Michelin Star worthy. The restaurant food... well, they cater more to tourist's taste.😒 The fruits that cost an arm and a leg here (sugar apples, mangosteen, cherimoya) is dirt cheap over there and a lot tastier. I gorged myself on the equivalent of several thousand $$$ worth [if bought in 'Merica] of sugar apples and cherimoyas. The savings on exotic fruits alone covered the cost of my plane ticket.😏

The only bad thing I can say about my stay was, good Lawd, it was hotter than the devil's butt crack there. A/C is a luxury that folks only install in their bedrooms. The rest of the house is 🥵🥵🥵.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
That reminds me of the traffic we saw in India. Just replace half the motorcycles with rickshaws/tuktuks and double the amount of honking. It seemed like utter chaos for us but man, they know what they're doing. And crossing the street is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.