Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
That's what I keep reading, that no other OS in all of humanity is as bad as Sonoma.

I'm a Mac user since the Mac Plus days. This is the first time I have never upgraded to a new OS, ever. I'm still running Ventura. I don't want to experience the worst OS in human history. Hard to believe Apple produced an OS worse than Windows Me!

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
I upgraded from Ventuna, I do feel Sonoma is more stable for my 2019 MBP

Maybe give it a try...

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
That's what I keep reading, that no other OS in all of humanity is as bad as Sonoma.

I'm a Mac user since the Mac Plus days. This is the first time I have never upgraded to a new OS, ever. I'm still running Ventura. I don't want to experience the worst OS in human history. Hard to believe Apple produced an OS worse than Windows Me!
The worst might have been RSX-11D, sunken together with its (2nd of the world) computer manufacturer.
I'm happy that MacOS and MSWindows exist.
;JOOP!

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
The worst might have been RSX-11D, sunken together with its (2nd of the world) computer manufacturer.
I'm happy that MacOS and MSWindows exist.
;JOOP!

I also keep an iPhone 6s with the latest IOS 15, a beautiful small phone. The problem is the battery drains so fast... not my daily phone but I will keep it.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I installed Sonoma when I got my mini M2 Pro in dec '23, ran it for a couple of weeks, must have been 14.2 or 14.3, and had bad issues so I'm back on Ventura. App Store wouldn't connect, System settings search didn't work, plus several more minor things, but I found the first two totally detrimental. So my experience rhymes with the OP's.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I also keep an iPhone 6s with the latest IOS 15, a beautiful small phone. The problem is the battery drains so fast... not my daily phone but I will keep it.
My 6S' battery still lasts for 8 days.
But that's maybe because I switched all options off and have only phone and messages living.

TIP: for all laptops, phones, vacuum cleaners etc.: do not overload them, use a timer switch.
;JOOP!

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
My 6S' battery still lasts for 8 days.
But that's maybe because I switched all options off and have only phone and messages living.
I still use a 2016 1st gen iphone SE, because I love how it fits in the palm of my hand, I don't need a big screen, and it does what I need it to do. I even have a spare, new battery for it, but I'm lazy.

It gets to perhaps 50% at the end of the day, but it's OK. I once heard it mentioned that "you cannot quit apps on your iphone or ipad devices" but quickly found that you actually can:

Double-click the 'Home' button (not sure about devices without a home-button) and all active apps will show as a 'stack'. Now you can grab them one by one, and drag them off the top end of your screen to quit them.

This can be a way to save on power, I notice it working. Some apps are more power-hungry than others. I think apps that constantly check for online stuff are best turned off if you want to save power.

So, if you haven't already; check how many apps you have running in the background, you might have a little shock.

Miles Fu

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
I still use a 2016 1st gen iphone SE, because I love how it fits in the palm of my hand, I don't need a big screen, and it does what I need it to do. I even have a spare, new battery for it, but I'm lazy.

It gets to perhaps 50% at the end of the day, but it's OK. I once heard it mentioned that "you cannot quit apps on your iphone or ipad devices" but quickly found that you actually can:

Double-click the 'Home' button (not sure about devices without a home-button) and all active apps will show as a 'stack'. Now you can grab them one by one, and drag them off the top end of your screen to quit them.

This can be a way to save on power, I notice it working. Some apps are more power-hungry than others. I think apps that constantly check for online stuff are best turned off if you want to save power.

So, if you haven't already; check how many apps you have running in the background, you might have a little shock.

I think the best way to have a longer battery life is not to upgrade to the latest IOS, keeping an older version would save lots of power consumption.

The newer ISO version also makes the phone response slower. But most of the time, I just keep upgrading.

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007
Works better on my MP 6,1 than either Monterey or Ventura. But, there are known issues so it is not perfect. It would be hard for me to suggest Sonoma is worse than any Windows version. It is just not as good as we have come to expect from Apple and they do keep backsliding ...

Reactions: Tapper

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
I've had minimal issues on Sonoma and I upgraded the day it came out.

Most of the people having issues have unique setups where third party hardware or certain software doesn't play nice.

The only issues I've had with it are application bugs not system bugs.

When people compain about a system they are in around 90% of cases actually complaining about application issues not system issues, including Apple's apps.

Application bugs are a persistent feature of software engineering and will always be so. Anyone who claims to have used a computer for 40-50 years will know that by now and won't lose their head over it. Just hit the bug feedback report button. Even NeXTSTEP had a bug feedback app.

Last edited:

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Sonoma is OK. There were some issues in the previous releases, but most of the bugs are solved. I upgraded from Ventura with version 14.2. Sonoma is definitely not the worst OS. I am a Mac User since 1992. 😉

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
Yeah it’s pretty bad with its quirks. Not enough to say it’s not workable. Just have to accept the crashes, freezing and occasional external SSD sudden ejects. The system runs stable as long as you reboot daily or shut down daily. Keep it running 24/7 or having sleep function without a daily or so reboot and things starts to crash. Which is sad really. Love my new iMac M3 that i maxed out. Too bad Sonoma is so crappy.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Yeah it’s pretty bad with its quirks. Not enough to say it’s not workable. Just have to accept the crashes, freezing and occasional external SSD sudden ejects. The system runs stable as long as you reboot daily or shut down daily. Keep it running 24/7 or having sleep function without a daily or so reboot and things starts to crash. Which is sad really. Love my new iMac M3 that i maxed out. Too bad Sonoma is so crappy.
I wonder: why is your Sonoma crappy and why are my 2 machines absolutely stable on 14.5?
Someone would suspect that you and those other complainers do weird things with their mac,
WHICH OF COURSE IS NONSENSE, but look at it from the point of view of a user who has no or only minor problems.
;JOOP!

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I wonder: why is your Sonoma crappy and why are my 2 machines absolutely stable on 14.5?
Someone would suspect that you and those other complainers do weird things with their mac,
WHICH OF COURSE IS NONSENSE, but look at it from the point of view of a user who has no or only minor problems.
;JOOP!
I don’t know. I never migrated anything when i first got it. First time I got it the BT trackpad was stuttering like mad when i finished setting up After it did its update to Sonoma. It shipped with Ventura, but during set up it asked to be updated so i allowed it to. i never migrated any old data and all fresh install of apps. Then Sonoma update and i got that pink screen shut down. Then mail kept crashing. I finally erase all contents and setting which improved a lot. Then Pages locked up and still get external SSD sudden eject. lol. At least mail stopped crashing after erase all contents. Maybe it’s just certain devices build components. I don’t know. I have 24gb ram, 2 TB, 4 ports, silver. I have AppleCare. I have friends that are Apple Support, Genius people. Hardware checks out.

I mean after the erase all contents. It’s just Pages that crashed and external SSD eject. So it’s better than when i first got it. Sonima just not liking my particular build, hardware or components for some weird reason.

i think the hardware are all not perfect clones of each other. Look at the issue with the M1 iMacs display failing after 2-3 years for some users all over the world. They are all confused why and Apple is not admitting its manufacturing defect. Yet.

Grumpus

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2021
Thanks for that, and yes, it looks like every app I ever opened was running. For phones without a home button, swipe up from the bottom, leaving your finger down until it reaches the middle of the screen.

Reactions: Ben J.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I don’t know. I never migrated anything when i first got it. First time I got it the BT trackpad was stuttering like mad when i finished setting up After it did its update to Sonoma. It shipped with Ventura, but during set up it asked to be updated so i allowed it to. i never migrated any old data and all fresh install of apps. Then Sonoma update and i got that pink screen shut down. Then mail kept crashing. I finally erase all contents and setting which improved a lot. Then Pages locked up and still get external SSD sudden eject. lol. At least mail stopped crashing after erase all contents. Maybe it’s just certain devices build components. I don’t know. I have 24gb ram, 2 TB, 4 ports, silver. I have AppleCare. I have friends that are Apple Support, Genius people. Hardware checks out.

I mean after the erase all contents. It’s just Pages that crashed and external SSD eject. So it’s better than when i first got it. Sonima just not liking my particular build, hardware or components for some weird reason.

i think the hardware are all not perfect clones of each other. Look at the issue with the M1 iMacs display failing after 2-3 years for some users all over the world. They are all confused why and Apple is not admitting its manufacturing defect. Yet.
You can reinstall Pages separately from Appstore. First delete Pages.app from /Applications,
then load it from Appstore (free of course).
;JOOP!

Reactions: kagharaht

stinksroundhere

macrumors regular
May 10, 2024
Just discovered that After Effects built a 98GB cache this week. If a user didn't know how to check the cache folders they'd blame the OS for running out of space.

Almost all problems are app problems not OS problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.