Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccan

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
What surprises me about this is... Apple have been making OS X for over 20 years. You'd think there would be some institutional memory that would cause engineering management to not greenlight a new thing (CSPN) that unconditionally wakes the Mac every hour, and isn't configurable in System Settings, because it would be known that that would annoy users in a bunch of scenarios.

There's currently a lack of adult supervision in the MacOS development team I guess!
The problem may be related to all the mobile devices (iPhones, iWatches etc) constantly communicating with the Mac as a central hub. If you have turned Bluetooth and WiFi on, it is difficult to precisely define when the machine should wake up and under what circumstances it should do so. On my desktop machine I'm using wired Ethernet for the main communication line as my workflow allows this. So I can comfortably switch off BT and WiFi. Together with some tweaks discussed in this forum it is possible to setup a proper sleep (as long as you wish, without a single wakeup switching on all peripherals). But of course depending on peoples workflow, this might not be an option. What Apple should implement is a simple switch, which when turned on puts the Mac to REAL sleep.

spacestationidentity

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2021
Just discovered this bug on two Mac’s of mine. Been using the app Sleep Aid to tweak and track sleep sessions. My mac is up every few seconds or minutes throughout the night. Definitely seems to be a Sonoma issue. I took my mac to the Apple Store and they wiped it and I started it fresh. Still has this issue, I doubt it’s hardware.

Often it will start up immediately after sleeping. I will have to try this solution later.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
I've been battling external HD insomnia for years, now as of 14.5 the whole system (iMac i9) won't go to sleep without manual intervention. According to Terminal, BTStack and Handoff are the culprits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.