Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifxf

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Nice. I’d still rather an Apple HDMI stick for better security and you can use it anywhere, but I’ll take it.
Unless Apple is sending personal info to the TV, I don’t see any security issue. Many TVs theoretically know your personal data if they support hotel checkout.

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
Not trying to sound smart but I'm 30 years old and I didn't know folks actually watched TV while at a hotel. Apparently there's enough people watching TV at hotels if Samsung put money into the idea. 🤷‍♂️
I mean not everyone stays out until late into the morning while at hotels. Not to mention if weather is bad and you are stuck inside. Plenty of reasons to watch tv (even if for short amounts of time) while at a hotel.

Reactions: rbramseyjr

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
Bye by AppleTV ... so expensive for a block device that barely does anything more that an HDMI stick; actually a LOT less! Moreover, it does nothing that a software implementation can now do and has been able to do for years now.

Like you said ... once this becomes more ubiquitous then you'll no longer need to bring your home AppleTV.

Hotels be selling AppleTV's like hotcakes in 3-2-1.
How does this make hotels want to sell (or need to) more AppleTV's? With this you can do it all WITHOUT an Apple Tv. Your comment makes 0 sense.

Reactions: rbramseyjr

tkaravou

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2020
Not trying to sound smart but I'm 30 years old and I didn't know folks actually watched TV while at a hotel. Apparently there's enough people watching TV at hotels if Samsung put money into the idea. 🤷‍♂️
I love watch weird foreign stuff while travelling. I don't watch much TV but sometimes I'll turn it on when preparing or whatnot.

Also kids, when I travel with my kids, we'll throw something on for them to get them into potato mode before going to bed after a day of excitement

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I usually just bring my Apple TV with remote and HDMI cord and then attempt to bypass the lame hotel TV UI.

Cool feature, but I'll probably keep doing that until this is more widely rolled out across TV brands and hotel chains.

I do the same, but with a Roku 4K Stick. I’ll continue to use the Roku when I stay in a hotel, especially since we’re starting to utilize Airbnb’s more.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
This would have been nice a few weeks ago when I was in Dallas. The TV setup was totally ghetto. No guide button or anything. Just scroll through channels like it's the 1990s. lol.

• Disagree
Reactions: ifxf

sushicat

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2023
You don't sound smart at all. In fact, you sound like somebody who doesn't know there's people all over the world that spend a good chunk of their life in hotels for business reasons, so for them a TV makes sense.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Until you forget it because you are in a rush to checkout.
Haha maybe it can come with a case that you can hang on the door knob to remind you to grab it, and/or a bright colored string that hangs down that you can see coming from behind the TV to make sure you know it’s there. In any case, it would be funny/weird to use people being forgetful as a major reason to not make something that would otherwise be useful.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Unless Apple is sending personal info to the TV, I don’t see any security issue. Many TVs theoretically know your personal data if they support hotel checkout.
I don’t necessarily see a security issue either. But connecting the TV to my HDMI stick (secondary device) just seems a little more secure than connecting to my phone (primary device).

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
I have a Samsung notsosmart tv. They really need to get it together. Does not connect to non Samsung accessories- period. WiFi has trouble staying connected - need to power off then on, for WiFi to connect. The Samsung brainiacs have a zoom to fit feature that works on nothing. Meanwhile, my LG tv zooms to fit on every source. My LG. Tv allows Airplay - Samsung - nope

IMHO, Samsung needs work as a company. Their refrigerators are an industry joke. Ice makers are crap and no one will repair them because of the poor quality. The refrigerator might still work, but you can’t give them away - except to the dump. I have a microwave and range in the same series, but the UI is not consistent

Sorry Samsung fanboys, but this is all true

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Stayed at a Sherton (owned by Marriott) last month.

I bring my own Amazon Fire Stick with me to hotels (have a small case that holds the device, remote, and accessories). The room had a panel with pass-through jacks to easily connect your own VGA or HDMI device to the TV, but they didn't work of course. The hotel system was so invasive just disconnecting the HDMI cable from their box to bypass it wasn't enough. I got video but the audio was not controllable from my (paired to the hotel TV) remote. Even though the box was no longer physically connected to the TV it was still in charge of the audio somehow, but it sent the commands over HDMI-CEC I think, because I could not use the hotel TV remote to control the volume either once I disconnected the box.

I found out I needed to turn off the TV and unplug the power on the disconnected hotel box, too. Then after that, the TV's own audio would work again, but it was also locked to power on at 100% volume. So whenever I wanted to watch TV I had to turn the TV on and then immediately turn the volume down before doing anything else.

Given the hassle I would have preferred the setup I encountered at a Radisson Red last summer (Chromecast device connected to TV as part of normal room entertainment).
That audio at 100% is obnoxious. Ran into that before.

Hilton properties are better because their systems are pretty lame and easy to defeat.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
I have a Samsung notsosmart tv. They really need to get it together. Does not connect to non Samsung accessories- period. WiFi has trouble staying connected - need to power off then on, for WiFi to connect. The Samsung brainiacs have a zoom to fit feature that works on nothing. Meanwhile, my LG tv zooms to fit on every source. My LG. Tv allows Airplay - Samsung - nope

IMHO, Samsung needs work as a company. Their refrigerators are an industry joke. Ice makers are crap and no one will repair them because of the poor quality. The refrigerator might still work, but you can’t give them away - except to the dump. I have a microwave and range in the same series, but the UI is not consistent

Sorry Samsung fanboys, but this is all true
I use an AppleTV on my frame because the Samsung software stinks.
I use an AppleTV on one Sony because the built-in apps don’t send out a usable audio codec for my older 5 ch receiver.
i use the built in google on my Sony OLED because it works well enough.
But the TVs that work best are the ones with built in Roku. I have 2 Roku branded and a TCL, and other than responding slower than an AppleTV, I prefer the Roku.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
never been in a hotel that had an Apple TV - they only have these strange boxes strapped to the back of their TV sets
True ... but sooner or later major hotels will upgrade their TV's to smart TVs. More seemless management vs a potential failure of connection with some sort of set top boxes. Using an intel stick PC is too easy to steal no way to lock those down unless caged yet you need to drill into the TV housing ... affects resale if/when that time comes to avoid full amortization before upgrading.

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
True ... but sooner or later major hotels will upgrade their TV's to smart TVs. More seemless management vs a potential failure of connection with some sort of set top boxes. Using an intel stick PC is too easy to steal no way to lock those down unless caged yet you need to drill into the TV housing ... affects resale if/when that time comes to avoid full amortization before upgrading.
Hard to imagine anyone would steal these things ...

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
How does this make hotels want to sell (or need to) more AppleTV's? With this you can do it all WITHOUT an Apple Tv. Your comment makes 0 sense.
My comments make absolutely sense:

1. You cannot lock down nor admin the AppleTV.
2. An extra remote to deal with by hotel admin/staff to replace if lost or stolen when base menu to pair isn't statically present.
3. You cannot host Android devices and if you haven't been paying attention in the USA Apple's sales have been dropping the last 2 Qtrs.
4. You can easily get more channels and streaming services using AndroidOS smart boxes and TVs natively than you can with TVOS/AppleTV.
5. 1 device to administer, multiple devices can be hosted. From a time cost perspective it's a win over the AppleTV.

Figure that out.

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
My comments make absolutely sense:

1. You cannot lock down nor admin the AppleTV.
2. An extra remote to deal with by hotel admin/staff to replace if lost or stolen when base menu to pair isn't statically present.
3. You cannot host Android devices and if you haven't been paying attention in the USA Apple's sales have been dropping the last 2 Qtrs.
4. You can easily get more channels and streaming services using AndroidOS smart boxes and TVs natively than you can with TVOS/AppleTV.
5. 1 device to administer, multiple devices can be hosted. From a time cost perspective it's a win over the AppleTV.

Figure that out.
So you claimed this was going to drive up sales of apple tv's for hotels and then go on about nothing. None of what you said makes the apple tv set something people are going to buy (especially from the hotel) when the tv's can airplay (and get the items from the phone so the crappy/slow tv UI is irrelevant.).

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
I usually just bring my Apple TV with remote and HDMI cord and then attempt to bypass the lame hotel TV UI.

Cool feature, but I'll probably keep doing that until this is more widely rolled out across TV brands and hotel chains.

I would keep the ATV... works way better than the crappy Samsung TV OS.
Or use the Apple HDMI adapter with the iPhone.

In any case using the ATV width HDMI cable keeps the quality higher since AirPlay does recompress. Also AirPlay requires quite a bit of bandwidth of the wifi network. Ever got consistent high bandwidth wifi in a hotel?

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Bye by AppleTV ... so expensive for a block device that barely does anything more that an HDMI stick; actually a LOT less! Moreover, it does nothing that a software implementation can now do and has been able to do for years now.

Like you said ... once this becomes more ubiquitous then you'll no longer need to bring your home AppleTV.

Hotels be selling AppleTV's like hotcakes in 3-2-1.

I've used those HDMI sticks and they're horrible. We've got a 2017 AppleTV and even today it still responds faster/smoother than the current ChromeCast stick. I'd even wouldn't recommend Android TV boxes to someone, unless they are tech savvy enough and are used to fiddle around.

Oh and you should look at Monscierge.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe

Well, some people (regardless their age) are stuck in a daily routine and have a compulsory need to watch some soap series or the news on TV at certain times of the day. Even when they're on holiday.

I know this dude that always says he will enjoy the holiday without internet and TV. And while he says he will only take his phone with him, as soon as he has arrived on location the first thing that is unpacked and turned on is his laptop. The one thing that wasn't supposed to be packed in the first place. Similar is TV... no matter if the weather is perfect to stay outside all day, he and his wife have to watch TV at certain times during the day. And that pattern is fixed for nearly two decades.

And Samsung... yeah... they like to sell stuff. So taking advantage of the big market share Apple devices have, by supporting AirPlay, is a logical thing to do. And it would not surprise me that Apple and Samsung have some sort of agreement in order to promote "Hotel Airplay" even more.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
So you claimed this was going to drive up sales of apple tv's for hotels and then go on about nothing. None of what you said makes the apple tv set something people are going to buy (especially from the hotel) when the tv's can airplay (and get the items from the phone so the crappy/slow tv UI is irrelevant.).
No I did NOT state that.

I stated it would expedite exit of AppleTv units for Grey market sales. You inferred what I stated incorrectly.

TV Ui's are very fast, the notion they're crappy or slow is based on very early generation smart TVs from 6yrs ago or more.

Even my FireStick 4K is just as fast if not faster than my ApleTv 4K which I gave away. The AppleTv is very limited in the plethora of streaming apps and channels available that many Apple fans haven't even known about nor know to look for. AppleTvs is like the very early TV Guide and TV channels that barely went beyond 50 waaay back in the days while AppleTV+ serves as SuperChannel or PayPerView in early cable TV in the early 90's.

Today there is a LOT more international stations and programming most are not aware of if stuck and only used AppleTV.

But nice try there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.