Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
So...hold up. I want to see if I'm reading this wrong. No support for RCS outside of the US? Or no support for RCS *on Apple devices yet* outside of the US?

If the latter, I can understand that. But if the former....this kind of contradicts Google's entire argument for how Apple's lack of RCS support was hamstringing people texting between Apple/Google devices.
It all depends on if the carrier supports it or not. The ones who support it so far show up in B2. I am sure others will hop on board since they don't want to be left behind or get negative press.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Enlighten me this a little bit. As far as I know, RCS messaging on Android relies on Google Messaging, which runs on Google Jibe.

Is Apple create their own RCS server? How does Apple RCS server talk to Google Jibe?

I am not up to the details on how Apple is implementing this. I suspect they have their own hub. As far as I know Apple is not using Google’s version of RCS, hence no E2EE. It does work as Apple is using standard GSMA RCS version.

These may help.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Apple tells carriers to provide RCS server details, they run nothing.

Only the big 3 provided RCS details (all provided endpoints that redirect traffic to Jibe, so iPhone users also text via Jibe).

If your carrier does not provide RCS server details to Apple, you wont get RCS.

I reached out to Mint Mobile (they run on T Mobile network). Mint indicated they are looking at this but they have to work with TMo to have it implemented for Mint users. We will see it, just no date as of yet.
Likely not time iOS 18 release.

Reactions: chrisdazzo

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
Apple tells carriers to provide RCS server details, they run nothing.

Only the big 3 provided RCS details (all provided endpoints that redirect traffic to Jibe, so iPhone users also text via Jibe).

If your carrier does not provide RCS server details to Apple, you wont get RCS.
And an important point is that this feature is still in beta and has been available for five days. Apple may well have asked the MVNOs to hold off as they ramp this up.

Patience!

Reactions: redbeard331

tehabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2018
Hamburg
Enlighten me this a little bit. As far as I know, RCS messaging on Android relies on Google Messaging, which runs on Google Jibe.
Like SMS or MMS, RCS is provided by the mobile carriers, those can of course outsource this to other companies, Google offers this. Apple could do the same.

ProbablyDylan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2024
Los Angeles
Interesting the MVNOs are now getting support. Unsurprisingly, still nothing for Google Fi, likely due to the lack of a carrier bundle.

Cchase88754321

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
The settings for RCS are there, it just hasn’t kicked in. Or idk if it has. I don’t know anyone’s RCS status lol

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
More likely this bad experience will just cause iPhone users to have to leave MVNOs like Mint and Visible for more pricey plans. Apple has never been good about supporting US carriers outside of the big 3. You can't use an MVNO on an iPad or Apple Watch. You can't do the iPhone upgrade program either. And you usually can't do eSIM during setup or transfer your eSIM.
I doubt anyone is going to leave their carrier because they are sending sms instead of RCS messages...

radioactive

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2006
Enable toggle shows up in b3 for Fraenk (sister brand of Congstar in Germany), using the Deutsche Telekom profile, but the carrier status still show the IMS Status as Voice & SMS.

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
Enable toggle shows up in b3 for Fraenk (sister brand of Congstar in Germany), using the Deutsche Telekom profile, but the carrier status still show the IMS Status as Voice & SMS.
This is exciting news… maybe I hop on the Beta to check out if it works with Telekom.

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
More likely this bad experience will just cause iPhone users to have to leave MVNOs like Mint and Visible for more pricey plans. Apple has never been good about supporting US carriers outside of the big 3. You can't use an MVNO on an iPad or Apple Watch. You can't do the iPhone upgrade program either. And you usually can't do eSIM during setup or transfer your eSIM.
This “bad experience” as you put it is during a beta. Sheesh.

And most people are on MVNOs for price, which is a good reason. But there are sacrifices that come with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.