Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The last-surviving U.S. Civil War widow died last month, at age 101, 84 years after her marriage to a Civil War veteran.

Helen Viola Jackson was 17 years old when she married 93-year-old James Bolin, who had been a private in the 14th Missouri Cavalry, on the Union side.

Jackson had been taking care of Bolin, and as a reward he offered to marry her so she would be entitled to his pension. They married in 1936 but kept it a secret and never lived together. He died in 1939. She never filed to receive his pension benefits, she never remarried, and she kept the marriage secret until 2017.

On the Confederate site, Maudie Hopkins was the last widow. When she was 19, she married 86-year-old William M. Cantrell, who had served in the Battalion of Virginia Infantry. She died at age 93 in 2008.

dontpokebearz

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2018
Maine
The last-surviving U.S. Civil War widow died last month, at age 101, 84 years after her marriage to a Civil War veteran.

Helen Viola Jackson was 17 years old when she married 93-year-old James Bolin, who had been a private in the 14th Missouri Cavalry, on the Union side.

Jackson had been taking care of Bolin, and as a reward he offered to marry her so she would be entitled to his pension. They married in 1936 but kept it a secret and never lived together. He died in 1939. She never filed to receive his pension benefits, she never remarried, and she kept the marriage secret until 2017.

On the Confederate site, Maudie Hopkins was the last widow. When she was 19, she married 86-year-old William M. Cantrell, who had served in the Battalion of Virginia Infantry. She died at age 93 in 2008.
Wow. That is simply incredible to think about.

I really wonder what early Americans would think about the state of the Union today. What they would think about technology and our culture.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I really wonder what early Americans would think about the state of the Union today. What they would think about technology and our culture.
We should be asking these centenarians and supercentenarian about that, while they are still around. So much has changed in their lifetimes. They couldn't possibly have imagined anything like smartphones and the Internet, and we're probably equally clueless about the amazing advances to come.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
We should be asking these centenarians and supercentenarian about that, while they are still around. So much has changed in their lifetimes. They couldn't possibly have imagined anything like smartphones and the Internet, and we're probably equally clueless about the amazing advances to come.
When you go ask they'd say "Get off my lawn!"
In all seriousness, I think we'd see a whole spectrum of opinions, from "I miss things as they were" to "new is good"

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The oldest American, Hester Ford of North Carolina, died 3 days ago. Her age was thought to be 115 years and 245 days. But she might have been 116, since two census reports differed. She was born when Teddy Roosevelt was President, only a couple of years after the Ford Motor Company (no relation to her) was founded.

Hester got married over 100 years ago, was widowed 58 years ago, and had 125 great-grandchildren.

The oldest American is now Thelma Sutcliffe of Nebraska, who is 114 years and 201 days old.

The oldest person in the world remains Kane Tanaka of Japan, at 118 years and 108 days. She is the first validated supercentenarian to reach that age. All current supercentenarians are female.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Kane Tanaka of Japan, the oldest person in the world, died April 19 at the age of 119 years and 107 days. Due to disagreement about Kane Tanaka's birthdate, she may actually have died at 119 years and 114 days.

Tanaka married in 1922 and was married to her husband Hideo for 71 years. He died in 1993 at age 90. She leaves 5 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. She was the second oldest-verified person to have ever lived, exceeded only by Jeanne Calment, who lived to be 122 years and 164 days.

The new oldest verified-age person is now Lucile Randon of France, age 118 years and 75 days as of today.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI and max2

ScrumpyDaniel

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2019
Morrie Markoff, the oldest man in the U.S., died on June 3, 2024. He was 110 years and 144 days old. He was born before the start of World War I and was the oldest U.S. World War II veteran. He was reportedly also the world's oldest blogger!

The oldest man in the U.S. is now Vincent Dransfield, currently age 110. Both were born in 1914.

I was just reading up on Morrie. Found a photo here with him using AirPods which is nice to see he was an Apple fan!

ezgif-7-f67f28a13b.jpg

Reactions: TwoH

TwoH

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2019
I was just reading up on Morrie. Found a photo here with him using AirPods which is nice to see he was an Apple fan!
Ah, yes. I am very happy to see this - makes me wonder if I will make it to his ripe old age and still be using my Apple products.
A very inspiring man. Rest in peace.

• Love
Reactions: ScrumpyDaniel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.