Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
I have an iPhone 13 currently. Right now, I'm not interested in Apple Intelligence. Could that change? Maybe. But at the moment, no.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2021
Why can't Apple release a stripped down Apple Intelligence Lite for the iPhone 14 Pro/15? Just include the improved Siri, ChatGPT and the notification summarization? I don't care for the Genmoji or any other features.

• Haha
Reactions: dominiongamma

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I got my 15 in January… on a 2 year contract.
Maybe I’ll upgrade then but I usually hold onto a phone for longer.

Now ask about Mac owners - I’m on a 2019 Intel iMac and this AI leaves all Intels in the dust.

I’d be more tempted to upgrade it than the phone.

Reactions: LunarFalcon

M1956

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2021
Apple intelligence is definitely the future, the question is only how close the current state of Apple intelligence is to this future. As a happy 13 mini user, i am very reluctant to upgrade, but i will be testing this AI on my mac and I can see it convincing me to upgrade maybe next year. I wouldn't upgrade this year even if it's good because Apple is likely to release a new on device LLM next year to take advantage of the new iphone hardware (12GB RAM, 2nm node). Anyway, it's good to see how well everything works and wait for them to iron out any issues before jumping to upgrade.

Tripps9000

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2021
I have a iPhone 14 myself and just not interested in going and buying a new phone anytime soon I would rather in invest money in a iPad with a m series instead to use apples new ai features!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
iPhone mini 13 user here. Nahhhhh. I’ll pass. IMHO these new features make the phone more engaging leading to more use and god knows society is way to into their phones vs the here and now.

I do love the 18 updates such as dedicated password features, locked and hidden apps. Also new control center features. I love that. So….

Tldr my phones mini is perfect, same as my iPad mini. And my 15 in MBA will have the AI features let’s see if it’d actually useful but my most used Devices won’t have it and I’m fine with that.

Reactions: klasma

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2018
I will be greatly surprised if Apple Intelligence won't remain in-beta for a good long while, at least a year or so.

I don't necessarily mean literally in-beta but also in the sense that Apple will either launch a very half-cooked version of it, or resort to only putting out smaller parts of it over the coming 1-2 years or more.

I'm not hating on what Apple has presented.

But I can't see Apple both delivering a polished version of Apple Intelligence and also getting it out fast.

I'd wait and try it out on my Macs or iPads before upgrading to a new iPhone 15 Pro or 16 expecting it to be ready this year.

*It's worth noting that some of the things Apple Intelligence appears to be capable of require a very stable ability to decipher the user's intent with a prompt which is something even the most advanced LAMs still struggle with right now.

Specifically the stuff that they showcased where the presenter was planning when to pick up her mom from the airport and combining it with a dinner reservation.

All the back and forth and little changes, that seems fairly simple to us. But most LAMs would struggle with that.

I would be very impressed if Apple Intelligence outdoes the competition and is fully rolled out sometime in 2025.

Last edited:

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Do we think AI on an iPhone 15 Pro will be just barely usable?

Some have suggested AI really requires 12gb of RAM to be truly effective.

I tend to keep my iPhones for a like 4-5 years. So does it even make sense to buy an iPhone 15 Pro today or hold off until say iPhone 16 or 17?

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I’ll wait until it matures. It’s nice that all these features are baked right into the OS. But, it doesn’t really seem like it can do much more than what I can currently do in third party apps.

My 14 Pro is still perfectly fine for me. Even if the 16 Pro comes with some must-have features, I think I can still wait at least until the 17 lineup launches.

My Mac can do all that new AI stuff, so if I ever want to try it out, at least I’m not going to get FOMO for it.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Why you with Apple then? Just switch to android then if Apple is not doing anything to impress you
It might be shocking, but you can have an iPhone and not like any of the updates that are coming with the next iOS.

If you’re impressed enough or satisfied with what your devices currently do on the current OS versions… why update?

Reactions: klasma

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I chose “not until it matures” but really, my answer would be more like “absolutely not for AI”.

I also only got this phone about half a year ago and it was the most expensive phone I ever bought, so it’ll have to last me a good while still.

Reactions: eyoungren

David9962000

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2023
IOS18 plus ChatGPT App separately should be good enough to get most of the experience without changing the phone.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have the base 11. I was thinking about getting the 15 but my 11 was/is running fine.

I will probably upgrade to the base 16 before the end of this year.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Apple Intelligence is NOT a reason for me to upgrade my 13PM. It got recently replaced under AC+ and battery health is 100%. Having said that, I'll have to see what Apple actually releases in Sep for a 16PM and then male decision on upgrading or not, but, AI will be turned off right away

HuNay

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2023
I was already planning to upgrade by November, but definitely not due to the personal intelligence... Just, the camera’s starting to disappoint me and I can’t be bothered to have them replace my battery.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I have an iPhone 13 so there’s almost zero reason for me to upgrade. The only temptation I have is the 15 Pro and 16’s ability to run AAA console quality games. AI is irrelevant to me right now. Once the tech matures and I can find a legitimate use case for it, I’d be interested in an upgrade.

Reactions: adrianlondon

cjsuk

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2024
I had a 15 and I bought a 15 Pro.

Not for this but because I wanted the better camera and ProMotion. The Apple Intelligence stuff is "meh" because my usage patterns are 100% fixed and don't really change.

cdsapplefan

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2023
Why can't Apple release a stripped down Apple Intelligence Lite for the iPhone 14 Pro/15? Just include the improved Siri, ChatGPT and the notification summarization? I don't care for the Genmoji or any other features.
They could easily do this but they won’t. Apple simply wants you to upgrade. I say wait it out and let Apple work out the bugs and kinks for a year and then get the iPhone 17 X Slim next year, that slim phone is gonna be a beast and worth getting with or without AI features

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.