Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
With Apple Intelligence only working on the iPhone 15 Pro’s (or M series iPads), will that push you into upgrading your iPhone this year so you don’t get left behind?

Or is Apple Intelligence not a big enough deal yet and you’ll be sticking with your regular 15 and below for now?

Thanks for your input 🙂

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
I have an iPhone 13, iPad 10, and M2 MBA. The M2 MBA is the only device of mine that will get Apple Intelligence. Fine, so here is my game plan: I'll check it out on my MBA, and if it is compelling, consider upgrading my phone and iPad. It might be sufficient to simply have it on my MBA, or I might find it kind of useless. TBD from actual usage on my Mac.

As a result, I can't answer your survey at this time.

Edit: It looks like OP changed the survey questions, so I will reply "not sure yet".

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am currently using an iPhone 13 Pro Max and living in Singapore. From the announcement, it seems like Apple Intelligence will be available only to users in the US, will be gradually rolled out and looks to be more or less in a beta state for the rest of the year and the most year of 2025.

I also have no intention to switch my language settings from UK English as well, so it doesn't seem like I will be able to access those features even with the 16 Pro Max either. Right now, my plan is to upgrade next year (every 4 years), which should coincide with their AI features being more mature and fully-featured.

Since my Series 5 Apple Watch will not get watchOS 11, I guess that's what I will get at the end of the year. Wonder if Apple will announce an Ultra 3 watch later this year...😬

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There is no category for, "No. I only upgrade after X # of years or when I WANT to, and my current phone still works." so I had to check "No. I only upgrade after X # of years or when I need to, and my current phone still works."

Not a fan of AI. I don't hate it, I just don't find it useful (yet). And I don't use SIRI anyway, so there's that.

I do plan on upgrading to the iPhone 15 Pro Max, but that's going to be sometime after the iPhone 17 series has launched (maybe a few months after). In the meantime, I get iOS 18 on my 11 Pro Max, which is my current iPhone.

iPad upgrades are probably next though. Wife and I have the 6th gen iPad and no iOS 18 for us. That's usually when I start upgrading devices, when I can't run the latest version of iOS on them.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This Apple AI thing isn’t going to sway my upgrade decision either way, even if I am actually using iPhone 15 pro max, which is supported by Apple AI. It has nothing to do with the feature availability, less so when it seems that only US users will enjoy it at first.

Reactions: iphone1027

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I am currently using an iPhone 13 Pro Max and living in Singapore. From the announcement, it seems like Apple Intelligence will be available only to users in the US, will be gradually rolled out and looks to be more or less in a beta state for the rest of the year and the most year of 2025.

I also have no intention to switch my language settings from UK English as well, so it doesn't seem like I will be able to access those features even with the 16 Pro Max either. Right now, my plan is to upgrade next year (every 4 years), which should coincide with their AI features being more mature and fully-featured.

Since my Series 5 Apple Watch will not get watchOS 11, I guess that's what I will get at the end of the year. Wonder if Apple will announce an Ultra 3 watch later this year...😬

Oh, I did not catch this important nugget of information.

I'm in Canada so maybe I'll keep this iPhone 15 then if Apple Intelligence won't be fully available to me for at least a year, maybe more. Thanks.

Edit: When Apple says available in U.S. English, do they mean the language or the country?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Oh, I did not catch this important nugget of information.

I'm in Canada so maybe I'll keep this iPhone 15 then if Apple Intelligence won't be fully available to me for at least a year, maybe more. Thanks.

Edit: When Apple says available in U.S. English, do they mean the language or the country?
I think the language. It was phrased a tad ambiguously when I read the coverage yesterday.

• * Apple Intelligence will be available in beta on iPhone 15 Pro, iPhone 15 Pro Max, and iPad and Mac with M1 and later, with Siri and device language set to U.S. English, as part of iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS Sequoia this fall.
  • Some features, additional languages, and platforms will be coming over the course of the next year.
So getting the best iPhone Apple has to offer later this year still may not get you everyone on day 1 either.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
My iPhone supports AI but I prefer to use generative AI on my notebook/desktop for productivity. Given the limited features in Apple AI and the fact that Apple's advanced features are just a ChatGPT wrapper, I'd want to use Google Gemini anyway.

Even if I didn't have iPhone 15 Pro Max, I wouldn't upgrade because Apple AI isn't good enough.

Reactions: cardfan

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
If I upgrade it'll be in spite of the 'AI' features - I'll see how much iOS 18 allows to be turned off first. My 14 Pro is 'fine' but I'm debating moving to a 16 Plus just for battery life + more RAM, assuming it likewise gets 8GB this year.

Thisismattwade

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2020
I have an iPhone 13, iPad 10, and M2 MBA. The M2 MBA is the only device of mine that will get Apple Intelligence. Fine, so here is my game plan: I'll check it out on my MBA, and if it is compelling, consider upgrading my phone and iPad. It might be sufficient to simply have it on my MBA, or I might find it kind of useless. TBD from actual usage on my Mac.

As a result, I can't answer your survey at this time.

Edit: It looks like OP changed the survey questions, so I will reply "not sure yet".
That's a reasonable approach, and probably the one I will take as well. (Base model M1 MBA from Walmart for $699 FTW!)

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
I've watched WWDC 2024 and I am okay with not getting the AI or Apple Intelligence features... I hate the change made to the Photos app but I may eventually upgrade to iOS 18 despite/in spite of those changes...

I've thought about it for nearly a year and I have finally decided to trade my iPhone 14 Pro Max and iPhone 11 Pro Max with iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 mini... I will finally do what I should have done when I made the iPhone purchase back in April 2023...

As much as I love staying on iOS 16.7, I will sacrifice battery life for a smaller and lighter iPhone...

Just_Kevin

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2024
I have a 14 Pro I was planning on keeping a minimum of three years, so I’m a little disappointed, but not enough to justify upgrading this year. I really just want a better Siri, onboard. At this point in time I want nothing to do with ChatGPT or it’s competitors.

My iPad & MacBook will support Apple’s AI. Right now I plan to hold off upgrading their OS until I’m convinced I can remain disconnected from cloud AI.

Ta_whirimatea

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2023
13PM here & gonna run this bad boy till it dies then get a basic iPhone after that. In the past I’d upgrade every 2-3 years ish but ios updates are mehh nowadays so the need to upgrade is extinct.

My good old Mac mini 2011 rocks with ssd for batch photo editing & iTunes on it just works!

My 2023 Mac mini shall be traded in as whatever the new / current OS on it is such a mess & it’s actually made me change my surfing habit from being at a desk to more mobile. (13PM too small) so trade Mac mini 2023 in to get iPad Air maybe & it’l become my surfing device. Some great forum discussions around new iPads etc just now:)
Doubt I’ll ever use the AI gimmick, maybe try the photo bits of it but that’s it. Don’t trust it for privacy etc.
Keeping my eyes open for upcoming AW designs, may upgrade from S6 as battery sucks. OS feels bloated but works better than competition.
Would love to ditch iPhone if watch could sync with iPad but that’s never gonna happen. Apple - “why have 1-2 device(s) that could do everything when we could pump the customer for 4 devices that are over powered using dumbed down software”
Rant over!! My bubble with Apple is slowly bursting but I’ll still never go the way of the Droid!
Rant def over now!!

☮️

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Apple Intelligence will start as a beta in fall, which means it’s currently pre-beta. We have no idea how well it will actually work (and maybe neither does Apple) and how useful it will be, in particular the on-device features. An informed decision can be made when it’s out of beta, unless you want to be a beta tester.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2006
I get the jabs being made at the AI emojis/images as a gimmick. But the usefulness of the new AI Siri seals the deal for me. I've had so many instances where I ask something too specific and she has no idea what I'm saying 😂

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
No - (unless it comes in size: 16 mini).

AI has potential in a computer/tablet for content creation, but for a phone form factor and portability are too important.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
AI is ruining all sorts of things and I have no desire to contribute or let it take over the things I enjoy doing myself. I really don't want to live in a world where I can't tell if the person I'm talking to is a robot or not, I'm tired of the atrocious art and deepfakes popping up because of it, and I really don't like how Apple is making that more casual to approach to millions of their userbase. Doesn't help that there still isn't any Mini option either.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I seriously didn’t see anything worthwhile under apple intelligence after having time to view the actual event. (Parts of it anyways).

What is it that is exciting people here? I get ChatGPT and copilot. But this isn’t that. Math notes looked neat but I would’ve thought there was an app for that. And don’t see myself actually using it as I don’t write on iPad.

iPhone mirroring looked cool. That’s not AI. Phone recording. Good. Not AI.

The lady’s example of let me show you how it works. Then talking about picking up from airport or something. I don’t do this. How would this help me. Siri is so unreliable now.

Not once in this event did we see the new “improved” Siri doing music differently. I’m not even confident in car that it can route me somewhere by asking.

The writing stuff can be done already. Much better actually in copilot. But again not used. Same with pics and images. Again not used. ChatGPT? There’s an app.

So I mean what part of “Apple intelligence” has anyone excited enough to go stand in line and shell out a thousand just to have this? I’ll believe it when I see it just how competent the new Siri is. And even if so I’m still not sure if I’d use it any differently.

None of this moves needle much imo. It’s simply addressing the AI question that the market is obsessed with. Long term this isn’t the foundation Apple is seeking. It’s skating to where the puck already was and can hopefully halt the decline in sales much less cause a supercycle of upgrades.

What would move the needle for me is windows support in Mac’s. Mac support in iPads. And more dev support all around. My biggest obstacle to using Mac’s and iPads is software. The more I can use the better.

Reactions: Phillyphil0302

1800AirTAG

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2014
Apple Intelligence is not enough to update, it burns that iPhone 14 Pro doesn't support it. They need to bring out something amazing for me to update, AI is extremely cool, but I don't know how much it will be used. I am personally waiting for the fold - if it is ever released 😂

• Haha
Reactions: PlayUltimate
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.