Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
What do you mean “always”? It’s a brand new app and apparently doesn’t have these features.
It's basically the Passwords section from settings and it 100% has MFA as I have the app and use it - if you actually go look at screenshots of it its clear in there.

Edit: here's screenshot I just took - 'Codes' is where MFA codes are.

IMG_0335.PNG

Reactions: lsquare

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
What do you mean “always”? It’s a brand new app and apparently doesn’t have these features.
Just going back and I see that you have not read the thread correctly.

The MFA thing was about BitWarden's free tier not having MFA. So, you must have seen that and in your eagerness to comment, did not see the train of conversation being about BitWarden free, not Apple's Passwords app.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
The standalone app is new from WWDC. But Apple has been shipping a password manager for multiple years now that has been in the Settings app, whether on macOS or iOS/iPadOS. All they've done this year is break it out to its own app. Your ability to save passwords, 2FA, passkeys, and notes about the passwords has been there for years. And, yes, all of these features are in the new standalone app, plus the ability to add multiple domains to a single password (new this year).

Here are a couple of screenshots from the Mac app. The first one is from creating a new password manually. The second one is part of the window from an existing password, so that you can see that the 30-second OTP code is present.
Can you post a few more screenshots.

Are you still REQUIRED to input a domain for each entry, or can you leave the domain blank?

Can a password be added to MULTIPLE groups/shared groups? I understand that was not possible before.

Are there any other new (from passwords in settings) features that you’ve discovered in Passwords?

Anything else worth knowing?
Trying to figure out if I, and family, can switch from 1Pw. Thanks.

fsfty

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2014
It's basically the Passwords section from settings and it 100% has MFA as I have the app and use it - if you actually go look at screenshots of it its clear in there.

Edit: here's screenshot I just took - 'Codes' is where MFA codes are.

View attachment 2387920
Thanks for posting this. The other guy saying the app doesn't support Verification Codes scared me to all hell. I've been using Verification codes in ICloud Keychain since it was offered, so if the new app didn't support them I would be locked out of many of my accounts.

Reactions: Codeigniter

lsquare

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
The standalone app is new from WWDC. But Apple has been shipping a password manager for multiple years now that has been in the Settings app, whether on macOS or iOS/iPadOS. All they've done this year is break it out to its own app. Your ability to save passwords, 2FA, passkeys, and notes about the passwords has been there for years. And, yes, all of these features are in the new standalone app, plus the ability to add multiple domains to a single password (new this year).

Here are a couple of screenshots from the Mac app. The first one is from creating a new password manually. The second one is part of the window from an existing password, so that you can see that the 30-second OTP code is present.
Can you please take a screenshot of the password-generating page? I want to see the options available.

How do you get the Password app to receive OTP from Amazon?

Reactions: SalisburySam

pdxrevolution

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2015
Can you please take a screenshot of the password-generating page? I want to see the options available.

How do you get the Password app to receive OTP from Amazon?
You can do all of this on your own right now. Remember that this capability has been built into your Mac, iPhone, and iPad for years. The only thing that's different in the new OSes is that the feature has moved from Settings --> Passwords to its own Passwords app. If you have a device with a Settings app and Safari, you can turn on autofill, import existing passwords, and/or have the passwords manager create and save new passwords at OTPs for you. You do not need screenshots and explainers here. Just practice it yourself because the way it works in Sequoia / iOS 18 is the same as it does in the existing OSes. You'll need to see if the way Apple does things meets your existing needs. It is not as full-featured as the commercial apps.

As far as I can tell, you still cannot share a single password entry with multiple groups. You could theoretically create multiple entries of the same password, although I think that's a pain if you have an OTP and probably not possible with passkeys. Alternatively, you could create a shared group that contains all the people you need to share it with, as you can have the same people in multiple groups.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Are you still REQUIRED to input a domain for each entry, or can you leave the domain blank?
You can leave it blank. So you can create passwords for things other than websites.

Reactions: k.alexander

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Can you still access passwords in the new app with just the iPhone Passcode (rather than restricting it to biometrics only)?

bsmr

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2005
Germany
Can you still access passwords in the new app with just the iPhone Passcode (rather than restricting it to biometrics only)?
Exactly this is what I'm asking all the time and nobody can answer in detail. If you enable stolen device protection on iPhone it is not possible.
But this is only working with iPhones. iPads and Macs don't have this function... So you what's happening there? Still quite insecure?

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Just tested it, and you are correct. It wasn’t doing it when I was on B2, but it is now I’m on B3.
Agreed - same test.

Although people here were happy it didn't revert to asking for the passcode, this would mean you'd be locked out of the app if you had to reset FaceID for any reason.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 9, 2018
England
What is B2/B3?

Do you all have stolen device protection enabled?
Are you all testing with Sequoia?
  1. Beta 2 and Beta 3
  2. I do
  3. I have Sequoia, I’m not at home to check how that behaves at the moment. Will update when I’m home, unless someone does before me

Reactions: bsmr

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I wish they simultaneously kept it in the Settings because I keep opening the settings app out of habit and the password app just requires another spot on my Home Screen that does not fit into my layout (again, habit). First world problem, I Know.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I wish they simultaneously kept it in the Settings because I keep opening the settings app out of habit and the password app just requires another spot on my Home Screen that does not fit into my layout (again, habit). First world problem, I Know.
Why not keep it off your screen and use Command + Spacebar (if you using a keyboard) when you want to open it quickly, or keep the app loaded in the App Library?

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
Although people here were happy it didn't revert to asking for the passcode, this would mean you'd be locked out of the app if you had to reset FaceID for any reason.
That wouldn’t be the case if Apple implemented it similar to other settings integrated with Stolen Device Protection enabled (for iPhone).

Last edited:

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
Just tested it, and you are correct. It wasn’t doing it when I was on B2, but it is now I’m on B3.
So, effectively, your Passwords in the Passwords.app are ultimately locked only by your 4 or 6 digit phone PIN? That does not seem very safe at all! And this coming from a guy who actually wants to switch from 1Pw to APw. 😢

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.