Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Oh my god, opponents have a .129 batting average against Luis Gil. I want people to realize how absurd that is, especially for a starter.

For just a comparison, Bob Gibson arguably had the most dominant season as a starter in baseball history, and his opponents hit .184

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I hope his contract includes a team option for next season, but I don't think it does, and it's a player option.

Could be another player who goes to SF on a big contract and doesn't deliver, but picks up their option for some easy money. Johnny Cueto comes to mind, but there have been others. At least Snell only has a two-year deal.

Baseball is a game of streaks, if there ever was one, so what was an 8-2 streak, is followed by 0-5.

But the kicker is that 10 game tear only got the team just above .500, and now it's back below again, in a pack of five or six teams vying for the final wild card spot.

It's understandable to lose to the good teams, like the Yankees, but looking bad against similarly mediocre competition is the knife twister…

You're reading my mind... Are you also a Giants fan...? Or just a very astute MLB fan?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah they tend to ban player not named Ohtani

I have two thoughts, as a player why in the world would you even take a chance at gambling. Yeah do it when you're retired but stay far away from it, so there isn't even a hint of activity.

Secondly, its hard to see MLB (or NFL) to try to be the bastion of valor, morality and integrity when they're in bed with various gambling companies.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Cueto was outstanding in 2016, but after that he was undone by injuries.

I always knew signing Snell was a calculated risk — so far it's been very, very bad.

The Giants are going nowhere. Play the kids and keep developing them.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Oh my god, opponents have a .129 batting average against Luis Gil. I want people to realize how absurd that is, especially for a starter.

For just a comparison, Bob Gibson arguably had the most dominant season as a starter in baseball history, and his opponents hit .184

And Gibson pitched into the 7-8 inning most outings. So he was doing this after hitters had seen him 3 times in a game and his arm was getting tired. He was a beast.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

I have two thoughts, as a player why in the world would you even take a chance at gambling. Yeah do it when you're retired but stay far away from it, so there isn't even a hint of activity.

Secondly, its hard to see MLB (or NFL) to try to be the bastion of valor, morality and integrity when they're in bed with various gambling companies.

Are we jaded @maflynn ? Because I thought the same thing. I feel like they paid that interpreter to take the fall...

This...

Reactions: maflynn

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
And Gibson pitched into the 7-8 inning most outings. So he was doing this after hitters had seen him 3 times in a game and his arm was getting tired. He was a beast.
And Gil just gave 8 innings last week. In fact, he's gone at least 6 innings his last 7 starts while allowing 1 or fewer runs in each of those starts. Only 3 runs allowed since April.

Reactions: Herdfan

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Until the analytics guys convince the GM that he shouldn't be pitching that late into games.........
lol stuff like that drove me crazy. I think the Yankees have changed philosophy a little bit though this year. If it were a couple years ago, Gil would definitely be on an innings limit especially after Tommy John Surgery. Boone said there's no innings limit, and it appears that way so far.

Also, Judge would always used to take a day off every other week, and this year he hasn't had an off day yet.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
lol stuff like that drove me crazy.

It's one thing to build a team based on analytics like the A's and Red Sox did.

But the idea that the front office is deciding to hit or take or pull the pitcher based on analytics instead of the manager's experience is too far for me. It ruins the enjoyment of the game.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
lol stuff like that drove me crazy. I think the Yankees have changed philosophy a little bit though this year. If it were a couple years ago, Gil would definitely be on an innings limit especially after Tommy John Surgery. Boone said there's no innings limit, and it appears that way so far.

Also, Judge would always used to take a day off every other week, and this year he hasn't had an off day yet.
ugh

I can't stand that "Sabermetrics" billshut*...

And that stupid movie, Moneyball, makes it look like that is the way to go... it's not.

Also Jonah Hill... ugh! and MEH!

Brad Pitt is pretty cool though... did I tell you about the time I banged his ex-wife? I didn't, but I still may have told you I did... ;)

The A's, The Giants**, the BoSox are now a complete mess because of it!

*read it again before you report me!

**Thanks Kapler

• Haha
Reactions: rhett7660

jeremz1ne

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv

Diamondbacks reliever Andrew Saalfrank suspended 1 year by MLB for sports betting​

LOS ANGELES – Arizona Diamondbacks reliever Andrew Saalfrank was among four players MLB suspended Tuesday for sports betting. The league also banned San Diego Padres infielder Tucupita Marcano for life.

Saalfrank is on assignment with the Diamondbacks’ Triple-A affiliate Reno Aces. During the league’s investigation, he was found to have violated MLB’s sports gambling policy, rule 21(d)(1).

“Betting data shows that from September 9, 2021 through October 29, 2021, and on March 9, 2022, Saalfrank placed 29 baseball bets, including 28 MLB-related bets and one parlay bet on college baseball games, while he was on a Minor League contract with the Diamondbacks,” an MLB press release said. “Saalfrank placed all of his MLB-related bets, including four bets involving the Diamondbacks’ Major League team, while he was assigned to and on the Injured List of the Diamondbacks’ Low-A affiliate.

“In total, Saalfrank bet $445.87 on baseball, with $444.07 of that on MLB-related bets (an average of approximately $15.86 per bet) and with a net loss of $272.64 on MLB bets. Ultimately, Saalfrank only won five of his 28 MLB-related bets and lost his $1.80 college bet.”

Saalfrank was never on a major league roster during any of his bets. There were no records of bets placed on the Reno Aces, MLB said, and there is no evidence that he had inside information or manipulated any games on which he bet. Saalfrank denies any effort to change the outcome of a game while gambling.

“He made a bad decision,” Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said. “The rules are very clearly outlined. They’re told to the players several times during spring training. There’s something on the wall in spring training that prohibits betting. The reason is simple. We have to protect the integrity of this game. Andrew knew that. He understood that. And he made a really bad decision.”

The league was informed about the betting activity by a legal sports betting operator. The other players reported by the betting operator were Oakland Athletics pitcher Michael Kelly, San Diego Padres pitcher Jay Groome and Philadelphia Phillies infielder José Rodríguez.

MLB’s Rule 21 is posted inside of every clubhouse and states that betting on any baseball game in which a player, umpire, league official or team employee has no duty to perform results in a one-year suspension. Betting on a game in which the person has a duty to perform results in a lifetime ban.

“The strict enforcement of Major League Baseball’s rules and policies governing gambling conduct is a critical component of upholding our most important priority: protecting the integrity of our games for the fans,” baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.

“The longstanding prohibition against betting on Major League Baseball games by those in the sport has been a bedrock principle for over a century. We have been clear that the privilege of playing in baseball comes with a responsibility to refrain from engaging in certain types of behavior that are legal for other people.”

Crazy dude was in Reno for rehab.... not a great place for someone to be who like to bet

• Wow
Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

Diamondbacks reliever Andrew Saalfrank suspended 1 year by MLB for sports betting​

LOS ANGELES – Arizona Diamondbacks reliever Andrew Saalfrank was among four players MLB suspended Tuesday for sports betting. The league also banned San Diego Padres infielder Tucupita Marcano for life.

Saalfrank is on assignment with the Diamondbacks’ Triple-A affiliate Reno Aces. During the league’s investigation, he was found to have violated MLB’s sports gambling policy, rule 21(d)(1).

“Betting data shows that from September 9, 2021 through October 29, 2021, and on March 9, 2022, Saalfrank placed 29 baseball bets, including 28 MLB-related bets and one parlay bet on college baseball games, while he was on a Minor League contract with the Diamondbacks,” an MLB press release said. “Saalfrank placed all of his MLB-related bets, including four bets involving the Diamondbacks’ Major League team, while he was assigned to and on the Injured List of the Diamondbacks’ Low-A affiliate.

“In total, Saalfrank bet $445.87 on baseball, with $444.07 of that on MLB-related bets (an average of approximately $15.86 per bet) and with a net loss of $272.64 on MLB bets. Ultimately, Saalfrank only won five of his 28 MLB-related bets and lost his $1.80 college bet.”

Saalfrank was never on a major league roster during any of his bets. There were no records of bets placed on the Reno Aces, MLB said, and there is no evidence that he had inside information or manipulated any games on which he bet. Saalfrank denies any effort to change the outcome of a game while gambling.

“He made a bad decision,” Diamondbacks manager Torey Lovullo said. “The rules are very clearly outlined. They’re told to the players several times during spring training. There’s something on the wall in spring training that prohibits betting. The reason is simple. We have to protect the integrity of this game. Andrew knew that. He understood that. And he made a really bad decision.”

The league was informed about the betting activity by a legal sports betting operator. The other players reported by the betting operator were Oakland Athletics pitcher Michael Kelly, San Diego Padres pitcher Jay Groome and Philadelphia Phillies infielder José Rodríguez.

MLB’s Rule 21 is posted inside of every clubhouse and states that betting on any baseball game in which a player, umpire, league official or team employee has no duty to perform results in a one-year suspension. Betting on a game in which the person has a duty to perform results in a lifetime ban.

“The strict enforcement of Major League Baseball’s rules and policies governing gambling conduct is a critical component of upholding our most important priority: protecting the integrity of our games for the fans,” baseball commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement.

“The longstanding prohibition against betting on Major League Baseball games by those in the sport has been a bedrock principle for over a century. We have been clear that the privilege of playing in baseball comes with a responsibility to refrain from engaging in certain types of behavior that are legal for other people.”

Crazy dude was in Reno for rehab.... not a great place for someone to be who like to bet
I wonder why one got suspended for a year and the other got suspended for life

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

All of this... ALL OF THIS!!!!!

Reactions: maflynn

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
You're reading my mind... Are you also a Giants fan...? Or just a very astute MLB fan?

I'm mostly a casual sports fan now, with a "Left Coast Bias" :D, so I am somewhat more familiar with the West Divisions than the rest of the league. Only thing I follow closely now is open wheel and sports car racing. Except for F1, where I can only tolerate so much of the circus-like stuff, so I'm not invested in it like I used to be. Too much of that kind of BS, not enough competitiveness, but I understand lots of fans positively eat that kind of thing up.

With the Giants, on one hand, in a fanciful sense, I think the Ghost of Peter Magowan has put a hex on the organization, explaining its morass.

In a more rational sense, he loved the team, and baseball, too much to wish harm upon it, so probably not.

The current ownership has increasingly shown it thinks of the team strictly like a business, with no passion or investment other than financial. Granted, the suits don't play the game, but the leadership sets the tone for every organization, not just in sports. The A's, even more so, and it shows, rather poorly.

That's why I said in the NFL thread that, while I'm no Cowboys fan, I can at least respect Jerry Jones, and feel some empathy for him.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Life: betting on the team you play for
Yes, I thought that was understood. Assumed they were asking about the others...

That said I didn't realize there were different levels of "betting infractions". I assumed any and all gambling infractions were a lifetime ban.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Soto left last night's game with forearm discomfort. So we know what that probably means. I don't even want to say it out loud in fear that I'll manifest it.

Good thing they basically have a Soto clone raking in AAA.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Soto left last night's game with forearm discomfort. So we know what that probably means. I don't even want to say it out loud in fear that I'll manifest it.

Good thing they basically have a Soto clone raking in AAA.

ESPN said it was inflammation and he wasn't expected to go on IR.

Reactions: dannyyankou

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
ESPN said it was inflammation and he wasn't expected to go on IR.
Forearm inflammation still worries me. A lot of times, something wrong with the elbow can cause forearm pain. I know the doctor knows more than I do, but there's been lots of times where I've seen a player get pulled because of forearm discomfort and it seems like a minor situation, then find out he tore a UCL.

Expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

• Wow
Reactions: Herdfan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.