Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Affinity Photo documents don't show a preview anymore, just the app icon. am sure this needs updating somewhere (affinity perhaps). anyone else seeing this?

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Affinity Photo documents don't show a preview anymore, just the app icon. am sure this needs updating somewhere (affinity perhaps). anyone else seeing this?
Looks like QuickLook plugins are deprecated in Sequoia. If Affinity uses a quicklook plugin to enable icon previews, they'll need to update it to work with Apple's new system. There's more info on this in the macOS release notes.

Reactions: fisherking

timemaker27

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
Can you transcribe audio note in Notes on Beta 2? Some folks on YT show it was possible on Beta 1. I can record a message but there is no transcribe button.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
This is a shame, I would much prefer to be able to have a setting for "never ever ever ask me about chatgpt", and optionally to stick to on-device processing only, no 'private cloud compute'
That would be done with a configuration profile. For now, it limits (old) Siri to on-device processing for dictation and translation, and blocks web search entirely. I'm sure the restriction will extend to the AI stuff as well, but the functionality is definitely already there in limited form.

Referenced from Mosyle MDM:

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 23.53.21.png

Last edited:

dougmon

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
I've been reviewing some of the materials on Apple Intelligence, and it's not clear (to me, anyway) whether it's an add-on that we can choose to use or not.

I would like not to use it in some personal emails. My grammar may not be perfect, but all of my friends recognize it as mine. :rolleyes:

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
Grateful for a small but smart cross device integration. I have iPhone mirroring set up at home and went into the office today. I connected to the guest wifi on my laptop, and a minute later it had synced the SSID and password to my phone, so iPhone Mirroring opened automatically on my desktop and worked with zero interaction from me.

I know the SSID/password syncing has been around for a while, but this is a great example of how useful that feature is when combined with other features.

Reactions: Slix

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
how can i hide the location services icon next to the control center icon on the menubar? it's there all the time since beta 2 (here, anyway)...

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Hmm. My location thingy is permanently on too, despite nothing under System Services currently wanting location. As soon as I toggle that setting to off, the marker disappears. You're on beta 2? 24A5279h?
same beta.

not sure why it won't vanish here. 'hidden bar'? nothing i've done (not running hidden bar, rebooting, toggling the 'show icon' button) seems to matter, that icons stays where it is.

walterpaisley

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2004
Springfield
It seems Sequoia adds a keyboard shortcut to bring up the right click menu.Control + Enter bring it up.
Doesn't work here - strange. Is it geo-specific (which would be weird as heck)?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
It appears that HelpViewer.app has indeed been discontinued completely. Beginning with Beta 2, when you open Help from any native application (haven't tested 3rd party apps), Tips.app opens (icon showing in the Dock) and shows the help content for that application. This behavior actually harkens back to older versions of Mac OS X. It used to be that when launching help for an application, you'd get the Help Viewer icon on the Dock. Leopard and later made it that the Help Viewer window would be floating and would not have a dock icon.

Edit: I tested this on a 3rd party application, and it still opens Tips.app for the help content for that app.

Checking Activity Monitor, there is no HelpViewer process anymore; this is definitely different from Sonoma. Looks like all Help guides has been consolidated into Tips.app, and the Tips application looks somewhat different, too (see screenshot).

Kind of sad that HelpViewer has been done away with; it was with us since Mac OS 8, or 9 (not sure which). Say hello to the new replacement, Tips.app.

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 8.10.37 PM.png

Last edited:

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
It appears that HelpViewer.app has indeed been discontinued completely. Beginning with Beta 2, when you open Help from any native application (haven't tested 3rd party apps), Tips.app opens (icon showing in the Dock) and shows the help content for that application. This behavior actually harkens back to older versions of Mac OS X. It used to be that when launching help for an application, you'd get the Help Viewer icon on the Dock. Leopard and later made it that the Help Viewer window would be floating and would not have a dock icon.

Edit: I tested this on a 3rd party application, and it still opens Tips.app for the help content for that app.

Checking Activity Monitor, there is no HelpViewer process anymore; this is definitely different from Sonoma. Looks like all Help guides has been consolidated into Tips.app, and the Tips application looks somewhat different, too (see screenshot).

Kind of sad that HelpViewer has been done away with; it was with us since Mac OS 8, or 9 (not sure which). Say hello to the new replacement, Tips.app.

View attachment 2394252
I have never found the HelpViewer useful – whenever I needed it, the information I was looking for was usually missing.

I believe consolidating tips and help into a single app is a wise decision. Although I haven't used the Tips app myself, it has the potential to attract users seeking specific assistance and familiarize them with other OS features available.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
I have never found the HelpViewer useful – whenever I needed it, the information I was looking for was usually missing.

I believe consolidating tips and help into a single app is a wise decision. Although I haven't used the Tips app myself, it has the potential to attract users seeking specific assistance and familiarize them with other OS features available.
Interesting! I've never had an issue with HelpViewer.

BTW, I checked on Infinite Mac and it appears HelpViewer was introduced as a version 1.0 application in Mac OS 8.5. So, 1998-2024; RIP, HelpViewer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.