Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Hi everyone, after many "dormant years" as a member of this forum I decided to join again, having followed this thread closely... I am using OCLP 1.5 on a Mac Pro 6,1, I have Ventura 13.6.7 and Sonoma 14.5 installed. After reading about the menubar glitch above, I'd like to add that the only workaround I have found after several months of "research" is to reduce transparency. It's of course at the expense of the nice macOS translucent effects but it's the only compromise to make this issue disappear. I have also this bug on my work iMac Pro, which is supported.

More on that subject which might be useful to know, the "purple/red menubar" glitch goes away when you use the monitor's native resolution, in my case 4K at 32 inches. Photoshop UI also becomes very smooth without scaling, something that has gotten more noticeable with Sonoma. Photoshop tends to lag a lot sometimes on a scaled resolution with an external monitor (no lag on the iMacPro), but with previous OS's it was not the case - maybe it's one of the signs that Intel Macs are now getting a bit less attention than before. For that reason I am using Ventura for the time being, which works flawlessly on my 6,1. Since I also use Pro Tools, I kind of need to stay with a scaled resolution since Pro Tools' UI is simply unuseable in 4K with 32 inches...

It's a shame that Apple hasn't fixed this, of course it's only a "small cosmetic issue", but by Apple's standards it's a bit disappointing.

However I love being able to keep my trusty Mac Pro alive thanks to the amazing work of the OCLP team.

lancemcv1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
That´s so great. Probably, what you disabled was avoiding the card to be recognized by the system. Once recognized, created a plist or kext that persists, even if you reenabled them. Anyway if you would like my config.plist just let me know.
Thanks, it turns out it was def the spoof Bluetooth kext, even though it wasn’t first showing up in the OC configurator. An odd quirk. But all good.

Reactions: trifero

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Hi everyone, after many "dormant years" as a member of this forum I decided to join again, having followed this thread closely... I am using OCLP 1.5 on a Mac Pro 6,1, I have Ventura 13.6.7 and Sonoma 14.5 installed. After reading about the menubar glitch above, I'd like to add that the only workaround I have found after several months of "research" is to reduce transparency. It's of course at the expense of the nice macOS translucent effects but it's the only compromise to make this issue disappear. I have also this bug on my work iMac Pro, which is supported.

More on that subject which might be useful to know, the "purple/red menubar" glitch goes away when you use the monitor's native resolution, in my case 4K at 32 inches. Photoshop UI also becomes very smooth without scaling, something that has gotten more noticeable with Sonoma. Photoshop tends to lag a lot sometimes on a scaled resolution with an external monitor (no lag on the iMacPro), but with previous OS's it was not the case - maybe it's one of the signs that Intel Macs are now getting a bit less attention than before. For that reason I am using Ventura for the time being, which works flawlessly on my 6,1. Since I also use Pro Tools, I kind of need to stay with a scaled resolution since Pro Tools' UI is simply unuseable in 4K with 32 inches...

It's a shame that Apple hasn't fixed this, of course it's only a "small cosmetic issue", but by Apple's standards it's a bit disappointing.

However I love being able to keep my trusty Mac Pro alive thanks to the amazing work of the OCLP team.
"Disable transparency" is the first thing i do on my macs since it appeared. Don´t like it at all.

Reactions: F1Mac

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
"Disable transparency" is the first thing i do on my macs since it appeared. Don´t like it at all.
Now I have booted back in Sonoma and there is no lag in Photoshop. Ugh life is so complicated sometimes ;)

Maybe this menubar thing has to do with vram I'm not sure... But it's probably more complex 🤔 the purple/red menubar bug is occurring on the iMac Pro I have at work but it's less frequent. Maybe I'm too picky. Everything else works smoothly in Sonoma, I always prefer to "stay current" if possible, if anything to keep up with Logic releases...

Reactions: trifero

woefi

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2013
Maybe this menubar thing has to do with vram I'm not sure...
Yeah I am very sure about a connection to VRAM.
I upgraded only recently (2 weeks) and have since noticed it 3 or 4 times on my supported iMac19. I use scaled resolution (virtual 5k on a 4k 27inch display) and have a RX560 with 4GB of VRAM. Because I have 64 Gigs of RAM which are never fully used I don't think it has to do with normal memory.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Yeah I am very sure about a connection to VRAM.
I upgraded only recently (2 weeks) and have since noticed it 3 or 4 times on my supported iMac19. I use scaled resolution (virtual 5k on a 4k 27inch display) and have a RX560 with 4GB of VRAM. Because I have 64 Gigs of RAM which are never fully used I don't think it has to do with normal memory.
I wanted ask for clarification on something, I saw mentioned that the menu bar glitch went away when the display's native resolution is used. Does that mean it might fix it if i don't use a scaled resolution? on this iMac?

EDIT: well, I tried that, I set the display to it's native resolution, and the bar still turned pink in the app it usually does. So, don't think display resolution (scaled, or not) is a factor here. So put the display back to the default, as text looks much better.

Last edited:

woefi

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2013
I wanted ask for clarification on something, I saw mentioned that the menu bar glitch went away when the display's native resolution is used. Does that mean it might fix it if i don't use a scaled resolution? on this iMac?

EDIT: well, I tried that, I set the display to it's native resolution, and the bar still turned pink in the app it usually does. So, don't think display resolution (scaled, or not) is a factor here. So put the display back to the default, as text looks much better.

(edit: sorry this gets more and more off-topic...)

regarding native or scaled resolution:
it is my thinking that a scaled resolution is more likely to trigger VRAM related errors.
See my two screenshots of memory usage VRAM vs RAM over the week (VRAM is almost always at 100%):
Screen_1.jpg

Screen_2.jpg

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Really, guys, too many variables get into the game here. It´s very difficult to know. And probably, as it happens often, it´s a combination of more than one.

Reactions: Larsvonhier

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
I'm thinking of updating my 2015 13" macbook pro to Sonoma, are there some known issues? I'm currently on Monterey (the latest supported OS on that machine)

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
I'm thinking of updating my 2015 13" macbook pro to Sonoma, are there some known issues? I'm currently on Monterey (the latest supported OS on that machine)

1. ❗️ (If u have only an iGPU and not a dGPU than) Better *NEVER use Memoji* as User Pic / iCloud User Pic with OCLP
    👉🏻 ATTENTION❗️ iOS 17.1+ your Contact Photo in adress book sync to iCloud and so to your Login pic. 😱
    *** So DON'T use Memoji there either❗️***
  2. ❗️ *First install OCLP* (if upgrading i.e. macOS 13 ➡️ 14 ALWAYS❗️"Create macOS Installer")
    OR IF you're on macOS "Sonoma" then first❗️check if there's a NEW version of OCLP and install this *INCLUDING* new "Build and Install Opencore" to you start disk + check/install "Post-Install Root Patch"
  3. Now you could use the system updater to get the latest macOS 14.x version – but better is to wait till OCLP developers push out a new OCLP patcher version that includes the corresponding macOS update.😉
  4. ❗️ *Install the root patches* – in "secure boot mode" always the best

⚠️ 👉🏻Currently, it *seems to be safest to always perform the updates* - not just the upgrade to macOS Sonoma 14.x.x - *using the OCLP USB installer.* ⚠️

Hope this helps you! 👍🏻

PS:
*READ this infos from OCLP developers:*
Sonoma issues
https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/SONOMA-DROP.html#issues
Troubleshootinghttps://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/TROUBLESHOOTING.html

Further infos:
Please follow EXACTLY the corresponding step-by-step tutorial for macOS (video length approx. 30-60 min), which "Mr. Macintosh" explains on Youtube.
It is also worth watching the other videos on his channel - especially the latest videos!
https://www.youtube.com/@Mr.Macintosh/videos

JessiesFlying videos are also very helpful - especially when it comes to special cases and bugs.
https://www.youtube.com/@JessiesFlying/videos

• Love
Reactions: jonobin

JoinMeinHeaven

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2021
Middle of the world
As far as I know, OCLP settings always go back to defaults. That doesn't mean to say that this setting wasn't written to the EFI. Do you still have the problem after you set it to Partial? Helped me when I had that issue quite a while ago.
Actually… no I haven’t noticed it but I haven’t used my computer a lot this days

Ready-for-Apple

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2014
Germany
"Find my" in Settings > iCloud always turns itself off after an unspecified time. I've noticed this again and again since a few OCLP versions.

Does anyone have any idea why this is and whether I can fix it permanently instead of turning it on again and again?
Unfortunately, I have not yet found out under what circumstances the system automatically switches it off again.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
"Find my" in Settings > iCloud always turns itself off after an unspecified time. I've noticed this again and again since a few OCLP versions.

Does anyone have any idea why this is and whether I can fix it permanently instead of turning it on again and again?
Unfortunately, I have not yet found out under what circumstances the system automatically switches it off again.
I checked my iCloud settings a bit ago, and "Find My Mac" is on. I don't have a simple "Find My" option, it is usually "Find My <device type>" for me. Never had it randomly turn off unless PRAM has been reset.
Edit: Also checked your signature, and your patched mac is an 11,2. I have 11,1 and never had that issue. However, my iMac, 17,1 is my main computer, and that hasn't had this particular issue either.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have a MacPro5,1 that was running Sonoma 14.2 or 14.3 (I can't quite remember). After not using it for a while, I recently logged onto it and updated to OCLP 1.5.0. I tried to install some post-install root patches, although I think it came up with some error when I did that. Anyway, I perhaps foolishly updated to 14.5 and now when I boot up, none of my input devices work. Not the USB mouse/keyboard plugged into the back panel USB ports, not the Logitech wireless keyboard and trackball linked to the Unity Receiver plugged into a front USB port, and not the Logitech wireless keyboard that I had paired with it over Bluetooth. All I get is the login screen and I am completely unable to move the cursor or enter a password. I created a new boot USB drive and booted into OpenCore from there but still run into the same problem when I try to run the updated Sonoma install. Since this one is just a secondary machine that I've been experimenting with Sonoma on, I didn't have it backed up on my Time Machine drive. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on and how to fix it, or do I have to install Sonoma from scratch?

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have a MacPro5,1 that was running Sonoma 14.2 or 14.3 (I can't quite remember). After not using it for a while, I recently logged onto it and updated to OCLP 1.5.0. I tried to install some post-install root patches, although I think it came up with some error when I did that. Anyway, I perhaps foolishly updated to 14.5 and now when I boot up, none of my input devices work. Not the USB mouse/keyboard plugged into the back panel USB ports, not the Logitech wireless keyboard and trackball linked to the Unity Receiver plugged into a front USB port, and not the Logitech wireless keyboard that I had paired with it over Bluetooth. All I get is the login screen and I am completely unable to move the cursor or enter a password. I created a new boot USB drive and booted into OpenCore from there but still run into the same problem when I try to run the updated Sonoma install. Since this one is just a secondary machine that I've been experimenting with Sonoma on, I didn't have it backed up on my Time Machine drive. Can anyone help me figure out what is going on and how to fix it, or do I have to install Sonoma from scratch?
Did you try resetting NVRAM?

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
Odd
I hadn't but I have now. Unfortunately it didn't do the trick.
Odd. Should work like a charm. Do you have a USB keyboard-mouse so you can login and see the bluetooth status?

Attachments

• Captura de Pantalla 2024-07-05 a las 5.57.51.png
    Captura de Pantalla 2024-07-05 a las 5.57.51.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 18

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
Odd

Odd. Should work like a charm. Do you have a USB keyboard-mouse so you can login and see the bluetooth status?
My USB keyboard and mouse weren't working, but I grabbed a USB 3 hub I had and used the keyboard and mouse through that and they finally worked. Once I was able to log in I reinstalled the root patches and now everything is working like it should again. I appreciate the help!

trifero

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2009
My USB keyboard and mouse weren't working, but I grabbed a USB 3 hub I had and used the keyboard and mouse through that and they finally worked. Once I was able to log in I reinstalled the root patches and now everything is working like it should again. I appreciate the help!
Great!

Wasp14

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2023
I finally upgraded my 2017 i5 iMac to Sonoma, I just did it through software update after running the patcher. My question is for future updates do I just do them normally through the System Settings now and run the patcher again after or is only the first step necessary? It's been about a week now and working well.

F1Mac

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
I finally upgraded my 2017 i5 iMac to Sonoma, I just did it through software update after running the patcher. My question is for future updates do I just do them normally through the System Settings now and run the patcher again after or is only the first step necessary? It's been about a week now and working well.
You should be able to do the updates from system settings, OCLP will detect the download and ask you to reinstall root patches. It's a seamless procedure.

Reactions: Wasp14

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012

While you can do software updates as normal always hold off updating till your sure OCLP supports the next update either posts on here from people that have tried it or Discord if it’s working “well” good advice would be don’t rush to change that.

Reactions: Wasp14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.