Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuxtonAus

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2019
Just ran the ATTO disc benchmark on my HighPoint 7101A-1 (Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Gb x4 RAID 0) to compare with the BareFeats test.

Both graphs the same test, the first shows the highest Read score number and the second the highest Write score number.

Screenshot 2020-01-07 08.14.57.png

Screenshot 2020-01-07 08.15.10.png

[automerge]1578356962[/automerge]
I've been running the 7101A with the fan unplugged, shroud (heatsink) on and the backplate removed.

During this test the temperature reached 56C.

Returned to its baseline temp of 46C within a few minutes.

For those who are interested, the fan control on the 7101A either requires the card to be returned to HighPoint to be factory reconfigured or if you buy the latest version of the card from them it is now incorporated.

I asked about firmware/software updates and they said "No".

See conversation details below.

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

I purchased my 7101A-1 two weeks ago but it does not support the fan control option.

I am using Web GUTI version 2.12.3 and driver version 1.1.9 (on a Mac Pro 2019)

Will there be a firmware update available for existing cards.

Kind regards,

Scott

Hello Scott,

Unfortunately, there requires to reprogram MCU on SSD7101A-1 in order to support Fan Control function.

If you decide to ship back to us, please register to our webportal for RMA process.
https://highpoint-tech.com/websupport

Thanks.

Sales Department
HighPoint Technologies, Inc.

RAID Storage Solutions Provider

Last edited:

moab1

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2019
Not yet. I'm really frustrated. I have the drive on order in 4 different places but none have it in stock. Ship dates Im getting are anywhere form the 7th to the 16th of this month.

I could get their 12TB Max drive, but I really need the extra few TBs to fit all my stuff. And so I wait...

If anyone knows of a place that actually has it in stock let me know. Most places list it as in stock, you order and then magically it goes on backorder. Not sure what the deal is. The drive was readily available on Amazon just couple of months back.
Keep us posted when you get it. I just saw it on Amazon in stock but now it's out again. Went quick

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Keep us posted when you get it. I just saw it on Amazon in stock but now it's out again. Went quick

Lol, I got that one! I saw that newegg lists them in stock for less (but would take longer to ship). Hopefully should have mine in a couple of days. I cancelled my orders from 4 other places I had it on order from. Fingers crossed.

Curious why the supply is so spotty.

Reactions: moab1

moab1

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2019
Lol, I got that one! I saw that newegg lists them in stock for less (but would take longer to ship). Hopefully should have mine in a couple of days. I cancelled my orders from 4 other places I had it on order from. Fingers crossed.

Curious why the supply is so spotty.
awesome. are you going to do some pictures of your install? Curious how you wire and fit everything in and leave room for 3 more down the road

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
awesome. are you going to do some pictures of your install? Curious how you wire and fit everything in and leave room for 3 more down the road
i was planning on doing a shot of it when it’s done. Of course, when it rains it pours, I have 2 drives coming to me Despite cancelling all the later non shipping places. Beware Cdw will “try to cancel” over 30 hours before still shipping out the drive.

I’m half tempted to keep the second. 😜 but I have a 16tb spinner for time machine duties ready to go.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
OK, so because the speeds were wildly wavering in a Blackmagic test, I took out the OWC card and am returning it.

In it's place, I installed the Sonnet with (4) 2 TB Samsung Evo Plus's. So far, getting no hugely wavering speeds in Blackmagic test, and no problems whatsoever.

There is a slight fan noise, but I'm getting faster speeds at 8g / 9g in tests, which is great. Will maybe upgrade to Squid down the line for even faster speeds.

Reactions: bxs

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
OK, so because the speeds were wildly wavering in a Blackmagic test, I took out the OWC card and am returning it.

In it's place, I installed the Sonnet with (4) 2 TB Samsung Evo Plus's. So far, getting no hugely wavering speeds in Blackmagic test, and no problems whatsoever.

There is a slight fan noise, but I'm getting faster speeds at 8g / 9g in tests, which is great. Will maybe upgrade to Squid down the line for even faster speeds.
Thanks for that info... 8g / 9g speeds are awesome for sure.

As an aside wrt fan noise.... I've always been a bit confused over peoples' fixation on fan noise because from what I've seen is that people working on their film editing computers wear headphones.

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
It's only an issue if I have to record a voiceover - A noisy comp can be a problem in that situation. But the Sonnet's fan is well below that threshold, so I'm very happy.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Ok so I got the drive. I got a bracket and it all seems to fit in decently tidy. Some pics:

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 9.29.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 9.29.37 PM.png

So I have the Pegasus J2i in there. Swapped the useless 8TB for a 16TB spinner. I got a 3.5" to 2.5" bracket. One note, the screws in the J2i that hold larger drives, are too big for both the 2.5"/3.5" brackets I got, so I had to find smaller screws to hold the bracket in the J2i. You can see the J2i's black power cable and sata cables. One went to the 16TB spinner. The other went into a NVMe U.2 cable I got, which feeds right into the Micron 9300 Pro 15.36 TB U.2 drive. I pushed the cables as far back up agisnt the motherboard to allow for the most air flow. All in all it seems a pretty tidy install.

So here is what I got/needed for this:

Micron 9300 Pro 15.36TB drive:

Pagasus J2i bracket:

16TB Exos Spinner Drive:

3.5" to 2.5" Drive bracket:

Highpoint 7120 card:

U.2 Cable:

So the drive came right up. I was able to format it APFS Encrypted. I havent done any tests with it yet for speed, nor have I been able to determine if it will boot the system. I guess more to come on that.

Update 2020-01-20:
Please note, a way cheaper solution can be achieved as noted below in this post:

You would just need the Micron 9300 Pro drive and just this adapter (i.e., no cables, brackets, etc., as long as having just one drive is all you need, which with a 15.36TB SSD might be the case):

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Ok, so follow on. Yes, the system can boot off the Micron drive w00t!

Speed is decent considering I did APFS full disk encyrpiton. I get around 2200MB/s writes and 2600MB/s reads with the Black Magic Drive test. For comparison, the 256GB interanal apple SSD posts 1400MB/s writes and 2750MB/s reads.

I wish I could get 4 of these 15TB micron drives, and try and RAID them together and see if it would boot, but thats not in the cards for right now.

System is dead quiet since there are no fans on the HighPoint 7120 card.

Im really happy with this solution. I look forward to seeing if others take this further and RAID the u.2 drives. Seems to me the possibility of having 60TB of RAID'd and possibly bootable drives with no fan on the 7120 makes it a really interesting solution.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
So just as a followup, I got my HighPoint 7120 booting up off a Micron 9300 Pro 15.36TB U.2 SSD drive successfully.

Relevant posts in here:

and here:

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA

Speed is decent considering I did APFS full disk encyrpiton. I get around 2200MB/s writes and 2600MB/s reads with the Black Magic Drive test. For comparison, the 256GB interanal apple SSD posts 1400MB/s writes and 2750MB/s reads.

I wish I could get 4 of these 15TB micron drives, and try and RAID them together and see if it would boot, but thats not in the cards for right now.

Im really happy with this solution. I look forward to seeing if others take this further and RAID the u.2 drives. Seems to me the possibility of having 60TB of RAID'd and possibly bootable drives with no fan on the 7120 makes it a really interesting solution.
You did a very good job. You should be proud of yourself.... Well done. 👍

Did you have to modify the "Cable Matters..." cable ? If so what did you have to do ?

N.B. macOS will not boot up off a RAID-0 unit at this time.... and Apple may never develop this as a feature.

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
You did a very good job. You should be proud of yourself.... Well done. 👍

Did you have to modify the "Cable Matters..." cable ? If so what did you have to do ?

N.B. macOS will not boot up off a RAID-0 unit at this time.... and Apple may never develop this as a feature.

Thanks! Yes, there was a slight modification here:

I ripped off the one prong clip off the U.2 cable matters SATA power cable to make it fit the J2i cable nice and flush. You likely could have also gotten an adapter to accomplish the same thing with less "dremel" :D

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
Ok so a big lesson learned. Im not sure if it's the drive or the PCI card, but the combo does not like to be put to sleep. If the drive goes to sleep, when you go to wake the system it hangs pretty hard.

The solution is to change the setting enable the "prevent the computer from going to sleep when the display is off" setting....and then it seems to wake and operate just fine. You do not seem to need to deselect the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". So if I had to guess, the Highpoint 7120 PCI card is getting turned off and cannot recover gracefully?

I forgot that I had both the "dont sleep" and the "dont spin down" settings on on my cMP (dont even remember the reason why--I think my time machine drive wouldnt spin back up well if I let it sleep) but those settings seem to mess up a lot of hardware. But beware if this is an issue for you wrt to power consumption etc.

The drive seems to run warm. It runs around 131F. Not catastrophe but certainly toastier than I'd like. I found this online:

Operating Temperature: 0°C (32°F) to 70°C (158°F) SMART temperature with suggested airflow condition

So it's running within spec.

Last edited:

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Ok so a big lesson learned. Im not sure if it's the drive or the PCI card, but the combo does not like to be put to sleep. If the drive goes to sleep, when you go to wake the system it hangs pretty hard.

The solution is to change the setting enable the "prevent the computer from going to sleep when the display is off" setting....and then it seems to wake and operate just fine. You do not seem to need to deselect the "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". So if I had to guess, the Highpoint 7120 PCI card is getting turned off and cannot recover gracefully?

I forgot that I had both the "dont sleep" and the "dont spin down" settings on on my cMP (dont even remember the reason why--I think my time machine drive wouldnt spin back up well if I let it sleep) but those settings seem to mess up a lot of hardware. But beware if this is an issue for you wrt to power consumption etc.

The drive seems to run warm. It runs around 131F. Not catastrophe but certainly toastier than I'd like. I found this online:

So it's running within spec.
I talked to you before abut how hot these U.2 drives are, maybe use that Velociraptor 2,5 to 3,5 adaptor/heatsink?

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
I talked to you before abut how hot these U.2 drives are, maybe use that Velociraptor 2,5 to 3,5 adaptor/heatsink?

thanks. I was thinking a dual mount migHt let me add other drives later and that the bracket I used was exposing the surface on not top and bottom of the drive and that maybe that would actually help cool it (probably a bad assumption).

When I attach he velociraptor heat sink, is just compact enough? I’m looking at the drive and it's temperature is now down to 120, so maybe it was due to high activity in setting the drive up. Regardless, I’ll get adapter and give it a try. Thanks again!

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
thanks. I was thinking a dual mount migHt let me add other drives later and that the bracket I used was exposing the surface on not top and bottom of the drive and that maybe that would actually help cool it (probably a bad assumption).

When I attach he velociraptor heat sink, is just compact enough? I’m looking at the drive and it's temperature is now down to 120, so maybe it was due to high activity in setting the drive up. Regardless, I’ll get adapter and give it a try. Thanks again!
No, it's the size of a 3,5" drive. Won't work for you if you want to install the HDD and two U.2 drives in a Promise J2i.

Last edited:

ZombiePhysicist

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 22, 2014
No, it's the size of a 3,5" drive. Won't work for you if you want to install the HDD and two U.2 drives in a Promise 2Ji.

I don't need to install more than the Micron and one spinner. The problem now is I cannot seem to find the velociraptor 3.5" to 2.5" enclosure, that leaves the front open, and without the drive. That said, this refurb drive seems to come with the adapter, would it work, or would you know where one can find just the adapter?

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I don't need to install more than the Micron and one spinner. The problem now is I cannot seem to find the velociraptor 3.5" to 2.5" enclosure, that leaves the front open, and without the drive. That said, this refurb drive seems to come with the adapter, would it work, or would you know where one can find just the adapter?

Sometimes eBay have the Velociraptor heatsink/adapter, but it's a very sought after item and it's usually sold very fast when someone is selling it, I have a search for Velociraptor heatsink below $20 and I don't remember getting the ebay email lately. A Taiwanese or Chinese company made a clone of that heatsink years ago, but I don't remember the name from memory.

I'm almost certain that the Micron U.2 drive is smaller than the original Velociraptor size and will work fine, I had both on hands in the past, but you can always check the specs. It's a really good heatsink, open an eBay search and try to find one, if I remember correctly was sold for less than $15+shipping last time.

You should buy the heatsink of a Velociraptor 300GB and not the bigger versions, don't buy this one 3ME8E4PI1YLWD Western Digital Icepack 2.5" > 3.5" HD SSD Mount Caddy Sled for Apple Mac Pro.

This is the model you want, but the seller is asking a crazy price VPU0DFDH9AIWD IcePack 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Tray Converter Kit w/Heatsink -SSD & 2.5" HDD, maybe this one is the same 4DUC8BYGIXFWestern Digital VelociRaptor 300 GB,Internal,10000 RPM,3.5" (WD3000GLFS) Hard...

rylim

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2017

What format type your Micron drives are in right now?

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
No, it's the size of a 3,5" drive. Won't work for you if you want to install the HDD and two U.2 drives in a Promise 2Ji.
J2i and not 2Ji. I know, it's easy to get it wrong as I'm always getting it wrong and have to edit my postings. ;) 😇

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.