Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VTGuy79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
It seems like every 5-10 minutes my M1 Mac Mini (Sonoma) keeps waking up. I have a non-Apple monitor connected and a wireless Logitech KB and mouse. This happens when the screen is locked.

What could be the cause of this and are there any commands, logs, etc that I could look at to research?

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Seems like -something- is going on "in the background" that is waking up the CPU every now and then. You have to find out what this is.

HOWEVER...
Consider this: the difference in power usage between a "sleeping Mini" and a Mini that is "awake, but idling" is so small as to be almost negligible.

For that reason...
Have you considered just putting the display (not the entire Mini) to sleep, and just let the Mini sit there awake, but idling...?

VTGuy79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2023
What' I've been doing is shutting the monitor off when not in use, especially at night as it lights the hallway up and if you're not asleep yet it catches your eye.

I'm more curious as to what it is. It's in sleep mode so there's no notifications coming through.

Natalia22

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
If it's still relevant.
I have the same problem on my mac. Over time, I noticed that the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse were causing the mac to wake up frequently.
Try turning off your keyboard and mouse when not in use. This is the only solution I have, it’s not very convenient.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My M1 Mac mini doesn't consistently go to sleep. It usually just stays on. I use a wired Apple keyboard and a RF wireless mouse (with USB dongle). The RF wireless mouse shuts off on its own after a while so that shouldn't be waking it up.

However, I use a third party USB-C monitor through a Thunderbolt 4 hub, and I have a lot of other USB devices, so perhaps one of those keeps it awake.

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 4.13.12 PM.png

Reactions: Natalia22

Natalia22

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
Same power saving settings, but Logitech constantly wakes up the mac, unfortunately.

godorowski

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2024
It's Your bluetooth device.
When mac is sleeping then there is no way for any app to wake it up (from inside, beside net-wake).

Your mouse while standing on desk might register some movement from dirty sensor (or badly calibrated).
It's logitech, it sended so many logitech devices for repairs that I cant count them.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
If it's still relevant.
I have the same problem on my mac. Over time, I noticed that the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse were causing the mac to wake up frequently.
Try turning off your keyboard and mouse when not in use. This is the only solution I have, it’s not very convenient.
Very interesting. I've noticed my own iMac has an insomnia problem too, but I've been a bit too lazy to fully diagnose it. Everything is set to sleep after like 15 minutes, but I'll come back an hour later and the display is just wide awake and open. Gonna see if powering off my Logitech mouse fixes it...

steve123

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2007

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
It's logitech, it sended so many logitech devices for repairs that I cant count them.
My current mouse is a Logitech G305 and I absolutely love it -- but I'm on my second one because the first one started doing double-clicks instead of single-clicks. I've been down this road before so I had had the foresight to get a SquareTrade warranty with it, and they replaced it for me. I've usually had the switches fail right after the original warranty period expires.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Rather than trying to fix its problem with "waking up all the time", which may end up becoming a wild goose chase, I'd advise...

Either:
- shut down the Mac when you're going to be away for more than a couple of hours
or
- leave it powered on, and just reach forward and SWITCH OFF your displays. Now it can sleep/wake/sleep/wake/etc. ... and you won't even notice.

Natalia22

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
My monitor has no on/off buttons.
I'll try to disconnect Logitech from bluetooth, I ordered a Unifying USB receiver. Hope this works.
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Last edited:

Natalia22

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2022
🤣 LG does not want to admit that the LG Ultrafine 5k monitor has a manufacturing defect. These buttons fell off the first time I turned them on, now they are lying idle.

acaadabebf24430704e5b54034cc572a--green-led-red-green.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.